“Our 4th review, restaurant week, menu good, not the extent we're used to.”
Review of Electric East - CLOSED

Electric East
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Our 4th review, restaurant week, menu good, not the extent we're used to.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We came here for my husband's 50th birthday as this has been our favourite place to eat in Newcastle, we've made 3 trip advisor reviews of here before. Still very good food but it's restaurant week and I found the menu a bit too limiting compared to previous experiences. Still delicious though. Very good friendly service, the (I think) owner was helping with service and out meeting his customers. I missed the menu that I'm used to but still enjoyed it still very much. We had the ginger bread ice cream pudding, very yummy!

• Visited August 2014

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I came here yesterday as part of restaurant week with high expectations after reading the great reviews and seeing a menu that looked like it went beyond the 'usual' Asian dishes. I came away disappointed in the food but it was good enough to give it a second chance.

FOOD

- Chili honey salmon was really very nice
- Tempura fish was ok but fairly bland
- Beef rendang was ok the beef was nice but it was very under spiced (not just in terms of chilli). I make this a lot and it didn't have half the ingredients it should
- Cambodian yellow curry was fine but again not hugely flavourful. I have heard that this might just be what Cambodian food is like though.
- Penang chicken satay curry. Really disappointing. I'm not sure what made the chicken satay it was just plain steamed chicken. Penang is renound as the centre of Malaysian cooking and it tasted like a Thai ready meal but again with half the ingredients. Bland.

The service was very good and the Vietnamese decor was pleasant if a bit kitsch. The toilets were nice and everything seemed very clean.

The full price menu seems expensive for the food that we had, but I would go there again to try some other dishes despite this. All in all it was fine and didn't feel greasy or fatty or 'cheap' but in terms of flavour it fell well below what I was expecting. The beer lao was delicious though, and I normally dislike beer intensely!

• Visited August 2014
Newcastle
“Amazing experience not too be missed”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Went too electric east with my wife for our anniversary.
Was a Monday night they had special offer on to try so many dishes for a certain price so we got a little taste off loads.
All the food was excellent staff were lovely and overall experience was fabulous highly recommend. Defiantly worth a visit.

• Visited July 2014
kent
“Delicious Vietnamese food”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Served by friendly and efficient people in a themed restaurant - comfortable, idiosyncratic and with a flavour of its own. We really liked it!

Visited August 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Keeping up the standards”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Been meaning to go back to this place for ages now and I'm very glad I finally got round to it last week. Great food, friendly and attentive staff and a great visual treat. the menu selection looked as good as I remember and the food was superb, I didn't want the experience of eating it to end. I will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2014