Arrived to find out the hotel has overbooked there double rooms. They had our booking down as 1 person rather than 2 so they had automatically changed the room type to a 'small double' room. When showing the receptionist our booking confirmation with 2 people on our booking she advised us to sit in the bar with a free drink while they attempted to rectify the situation. No option but to stay in a small double for the first night (Friday) and she would move us into a double room (the room type what we had booked for 2 nights) for the Saturday night. Provided with a bottle of wine in our room to apologise for the overbooking. Overall this situation was handled very professionally by the duty manager Claire who treated us like VIP's for the duration of our stay. Wouldn't recommend a small double for 2 people with the term 'cosy' springing to mind. Only criticism is the water pressure - showers very slow! Excellent location, fantastic staff who are a real asset to the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located across from Grand Central Station, the County Hotel is perfect for shopping, sporting and cultural events, and visiting the world-famous Hadrian's Wall. A magnificent Grade II Listed Victorian, the hotel is the ideal base for shopping, concerts and other cultural events, with attractions from Roman remains to the legendary St James' Park within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, LateRooms, Lastminute, Priceline, Superbreak UK, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your County Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne