County Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Pool
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Chasley Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Friars Gate Luxury Apartments(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Spa
  • Pool
Roomzzz Newcastle City(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
Motel One Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,163 results
All reviewsdirectly opposite the stationtrain stationcar parkstreet noiseexcellent locationcity centrebit datedstayed for one nightbuffet stylehotel barbars and restaurantsthistlenewcastleearplugsnightlifehairdryerarena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I recently stayed at The County for one night while visiting Newcastle with work. This hotel is in a great location to access Newcastle, located opposite the train station with Metro access to all routes.

We arrived in the morning and the reception staff were very friendly and accommodating, allowing us to leave our luggage with them throughout the day until we returned at night when we officially checked in. On checking in, I was booked into a small double room (228) on the second floor. However, when I arrived at my room, my key card did not appear to be activated. I went back down to reception and the staff were again very helpful and accommodating in helpful me access my room.

The small double rooms at The County are ideal for single travellers but I would not recommend one of these rooms for a couple. It was relatively small but cosy with a 3/4-sized bed, flat screen tv with a good selection of channels and all the usual hotel room amenities. The bathroom was also rather small but was clean with an ample supply of towels.

The major downside to this room was what I found on the pillow when I arrived...two sets of earplugs which I could only presume was to prepare me for the room being a little louder than I would like at night and I was correct. As my room was located facing Grainger Street, there was rather a lot of outside noise from traffic until around 11/11.30pm at night. As I was only staying for one night, this wasn't a massive issue but I can imagine this would be annoying if you were staying for a longer period.

We had dinner and breakfast in The County and I could not fault the food during either service. The menu in the evening had a good choice of dishes at reasonable prices, however the drinks menu was slightly more expensive than I would have liked for a very selective menu. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was excellent with a good choice of both continental and cooked options.

All in all, The County was sufficient for my stay and fit for purpose, The only thing which would have made it better would have been a quieter room at night.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room facing Grainger Street or perhaps request a room on an upper floor if you like a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read that you found our location to be convenient and staff to be friendly and helpful. We regularly receive excellent feedback about this and it is always great to hear. The staff here at The County work very hard to ensure our guests receive the best possible service at all times and I am sure they will be happy to read your kind comments.

Thank you for your honest description of your room. Our small double rooms are advertised as such and are as you say, perfect for single travellers. They make an ideal base for exploring the city and I was pleased to note you found the room to be well equipped and clean.

Our city centre location has many advantages however external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. At The County, we do provide ear plugs as we recognise that although our windows have secondary glazing, this can still cause a disturbance should you be a light sleeper. We do have a range of rooms facing our courtyard car park which may be available on request.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our restaurant. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed dining with us both for dinner and breakfast during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at The County last night and we weren't impressed. The room was cramped, incredibly hot and the windows wouldn't open. We went out for dinner and came back to the hotel and decided to have a drink in the hotel bar. I ordered a bottle of Newcastle brown and a large class of white wine. We were charged £12.95. TWELVE POUNDS NINETY FIVE PENCE???????? I know that you pay a little more in a hotel bar but this is day light robbery. We checked the menu and we hadn't been short changed. We had been ripped off.
We had a terrible nights sleep due to noise from outside and the heat and uncomfortable bed.
In the morning we fancied some breakfast but declined due to the cost. £14.95 for a breakfast???? No thank you. I am in no way a skin flint. I am not tight and I am not a penny pincher but I know when I'm having my pants pulled down. Thank you for ruining the first night we have had away in three years.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richard d

Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. We have several different room types at The County, ranging from compact and cosy small double rooms to the large and lofty Executive rooms. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact us direct and our team here would be more than happy to discuss the room types available and make recommendations to best suit your requirements.

I was sorry to read that you were unable to open your window. The County is a Grade 2 listed building therefore many of the original features are still present, including the sash windows. These windows are heavy and can be awkward to open; however, our Guest Relations Manager is available to help with any such requests 24 hours a day. Should they have been made aware of your problem, I am confident they would have rectified this immediately.

I am sorry that you feel the drinks you ordered were expensive. Please be assured, there are many other alternatives available which offer excellent value for money.

Breakfast can be purchased at Reception on check in or added to your reservation at the booking stage for £10.00 per person. We feel our extensive breakfast offering provides excellent value for money. Our buffet breakfast offers unlimited amounts of both hot and cold options as well as hot drinks or breakfast juice of your choice. We often receive excellent feedback about our breakfast and I am confident there is something for everyone.

Once again, I am sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay and thank you for your feedback. I do hope that next time you are in Newcastle you will contact us direct. We would be more than happy to help tailor your stay to best meet your needs.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Arrived to find out the hotel has overbooked there double rooms. They had our booking down as 1 person rather than 2 so they had automatically changed the room type to a 'small double' room. When showing the receptionist our booking confirmation with 2 people on our booking she advised us to sit in the bar with a free drink while they attempted to rectify the situation. No option but to stay in a small double for the first night (Friday) and she would move us into a double room (the room type what we had booked for 2 nights) for the Saturday night. Provided with a bottle of wine in our room to apologise for the overbooking. Overall this situation was handled very professionally by the duty manager Claire who treated us like VIP's for the duration of our stay. Wouldn't recommend a small double for 2 people with the term 'cosy' springing to mind. Only criticism is the water pressure - showers very slow! Excellent location, fantastic staff who are a real asset to the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to apologise for the confusion with your booking. Unfortunately I can not comment on your individual booking as I do not have all of the details however, I would like to assure you that we do not amend bookings dependant on the number of guests in the room. We always make every effort to ensure our guests get the room type they have reserved at the booking stage and I was very surprised to read that this did not happen with your booking. On the rare occasion we would have to make amendments to a booking, we would always contact the guest direct prior to arrival. Once again, please accept my apologies.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to read that you found our Guest Relation Manager to be courteous and efficient when dealing with the problem and that you were more than happy with the service you received from the team. I would like to thank you for your feedback on this and assure you that your comments will be passed on to the team and indeed Claire, who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'd like to thank the manager and staff of this hotel for there friendship,hospitality, and brilliant service,I highly recommend this hotel,and hope to go there again soon.This was a tour of Northumbria with Edwards Coaches Wales.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

It is always excellent to read such positive comments about our hotel and the team. The team here at The County work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable stay and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle. I was pleased to note that you experience this first hand.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here on 14th October 2013 for an overnight business trip and booked it specifically due to it's location directly opposite the train station where it could not be much more convenient to find. Checking in was quick and efficient with no problems. I was given a room right at the front of the hotel overlooking the station (right behind the illuminated hotel sign and so quite low down). Despite the activity outside, with the secondary double glazing there was little or no noise from outside.

The room wasn't huge, however for a city hotel I wouldn't have expected anything much different to this. The bed however was very comfortable and I had a good night sleep. My biggest complaint with the hotel was with regards to noise internally which was caused due to the fact that the floors are very creaky. The noise from these from the adjacent rooms was pretty annoying. Please, next time you do some work on the rooms, pull the carpet up and put some plywood or hardboard over the boards if you cannot fix them down.

I had an evening meal there and found the waitresses to be very friendly and attentive. Food was good too with a reasonable price. I would however recommend trying the chefs special menu as it offers some very nice options which are away from the normal hotel type food.

Overall, nothing particularly special however somewhere I would certainly stay again as there were no issues with it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you found the bed to be comfortable and the secondary glazing on our windows to be beneficial. Our central location has many advantages and I was pleased to read that although we are in the heart of the city, our location did not cause a disturbance.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our menu and our friendly and helpful team. The team at The County work very hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time here I was pleased to read that you noticed this during your stay. Please be assured, all comments will be passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

I would like to apologise for the disturbance caused by creaky floorboards. Being a Grade 2 listed building; The County does have many of the original features still in place, the flooring being one of these. Many people choose to stay with us because of the charm and character of our building, however we appreciate this does not suit to everyone’s taste. During our next refurbishment programme, this is one thing we will look into addressing.

Once again, thank you for providing us with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.