I was booked into a double room. When I arrived I waited for the person in front of me to check in, he left and as I advanced to the desk I was told to wait. Hello madam, welcome would have been nice. Still it was nothing personal as the same thing happened to the man waiting behind me.
So I was told that I had been allocated a small double with a strange emphasis on the word small. When I got to the room, I was instantly taken back to my student days. Old, mismatched furniture and fittings, a 1980s carpet which hadn't really been vacuumed, a sash window that would neither shut nor open, a radiator that did not work. But the best bit was that it was tiny and the so called double bed was at best a wide single - pushed against the wall.
It was late so I located the kettle, three tea bags, three sugar sachets, four coffee sachets and one biscuit. Then I tried to hunt down the hair dryer - there wasn't one. I did get one brought up to the room.
The 0645 wake up call never came but fortunately I had set an alarm as a back up.
I will never stay at this hotel again. It has got two stars because breakfast was adequate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located across from Grand Central Station, the County Hotel is perfect for shopping, sporting and cultural events, and visiting the world-famous Hadrian's Wall. A magnificent Grade II Listed Victorian, the hotel is the ideal base for shopping, concerts and other cultural events, with attractions from Roman remains to the legendary St James' Park within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your County Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne