“Uncomfortable nights sleep!”

County Hotel
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable nights sleep!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Myself and my boyfriend recently stayed here just for one night on Sunday December the 1st and were extremely disapointed. We had stayed at the Marriot in Gosforth the night before which was £40 more but the standards between the two hotels were miles apart! The room we stayed in (406) was so uncomfortable as the heating was on full blast and aparently nothing could be done but us move rooms, which we didn't want to do as it was a lot of effort moving all of our stuff and by the sounds of the explanation given all the rooms would be equally as hot. The toilet was also leaking meaning a lot of constant noise throughout the night and not much sleep! Also as our room was facing the train station there was constant disturbance from outside too.
Will not be staying here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. I was sorry to note that you found the temperature in the room to be too high. We do have rooms overlooking the courtyard car park which can be cooler and may be available upon request by contacting Reception. Please be assured, we have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day who I am confident would be more than happy to fulfil any requests to make your stay more comfortable. Whether it be adjusting the temperature of the room, lighter bedding, a fan or a room in a different part of the building.

Our city centre location does have many advantages such as excellent transport links, a short walk to the main shopping areas and only a stones throw from the Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants. Unfortunately external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Here at The County we recognise this and have taken measures to ensure that any disturbance is kept to a minimum by installing secondary glazing to all of our outward facing rooms. On your next visit, please contact our hotel Reception team direct who would be more than happy to help you find a room to best suit your needs. We have several different room types available and many overlooking our courtyard car park which may be available on request.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and I do hope we can welcome you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Birmingham
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The room was hot, probably over 26 deg. All radiators were off. Upon complaining I was told it was a hot hotel and they would look at it whilst I was out and would I like a fan!

When I got back fan was on and I had some water on ice. But it didn't really help. No point providing a duvet and windows open 2" only onto busy main road. I've stayed before in cooler area but this was terrible. If I was staying for 2 nights I would have cancelled.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank mfarrow6483
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. I was sorry to note that you found the temperature in the room to be too high. We do have rooms overlooking the courtyard car park which are both away from the main road and can be cooler. These may be available upon request by contacting Reception.

The County is a Grade 2 listed building and retains many of the original features, the sash windows being one of these. These windows are restricted as to how far they open for the safety and security of our guests. Please be assured, we have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day who I am confident would be more than happy to fulfil any requests to make your stay more comfortable. Whether it be lighter bedding, a fan or a room in a different part of the building.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed just for one night on Tuesday. The room was small and a bit pokey, but clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly both in the evening and next morning. In particular showing off their brand new breakfast setup, which was good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the creaky stairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The County and that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable.

I was disappointed to note that you found your room to be small. We do have a range of room types available, from the compact and cosy small double rooms to our spacious executive rooms. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Newcastle. When making your reservation, please do not hesitate to contact our team direct who can make recommendations to ensure the room you have booked best suits your needs.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification which includes many new and additional items. The selection is now much bigger and includes both vegetarian and Gloucester old spot sausages, button and Portobello mushrooms, back bacon and streaky bacon, various fresh fruits, several cereal and pastry options, pancakes, fresh fish, a selection of breads, cold meats, cheese selection and much more. We have received excellent feedback from our guests following the introduction of this and I was pleased to note that you experienced this first hand.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

A standard hotel close to the train station and the metro, very central. Visited on a business trip for 2 nights. Reception area is poshly decorated with nice furniture. Staff friendly but slow. My room was supposed to be on the 4th floor which got changed to the 2nd at the last minute, no explanation given. The room has everything you might need in a proper hotel - shower gel samples, iron and hairdryer, tv and a kettle tray with some refreshments. Nevertheless, one of the walls in my room was looking wet and mouldy and the wallpaper was sticking out as if a leek occurred but was not mended.

Breakfast very standard, some hot and fruit choices, toast and hot drinks need to be ordered.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to note that you found our location to be excellent. Being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and only a stones throw from the main shopping area is a great advantage for our guests. I pleased to read that you found this to be convenient.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the presentation of the hotel and amenities within your room. I was pleased to read that you found your room was equipped with everything you would need during your stay.

I have noted your comment regarding the change of room number. Sometimes our guests arrive before their allocated room is ready, in which case our Receptionist will check to see if another room of the same standard is ready in order to check you in as soon as possible.

I have forwarded you a private message with regards to the wall paper in the room so that I can look into this as a priority and ensure any issues are rectified immediately if not already done so.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future. I am confident that on your return you will notice a marked improvement to the standard of our breakfast. We have recently implemented a new breakfast offering which includes many new and additional items. The selection is now much bigger and includes both vegetarian and Gloucester old spot sausages, button and Portobello mushrooms, back bacon and streaky bacon, various fresh fruits, several cereal and pastry options, pancakes, fresh fish, a selection of breads, cold meats, cheese selection and much more. We have received excellent feedback from our guests following the introduction of this and I am confident there is something for everyone to enjoy. I do hope you will have the opportunity to sample this on your next visit to Newcastle

Kind regards
UK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was booked into a double room. When I arrived I waited for the person in front of me to check in, he left and as I advanced to the desk I was told to wait. Hello madam, welcome would have been nice. Still it was nothing personal as the same thing happened to the man waiting behind me.

So I was told that I had been allocated a small double with a strange emphasis on the word small. When I got to the room, I was instantly taken back to my student days. Old, mismatched furniture and fittings, a 1980s carpet which hadn't really been vacuumed, a sash window that would neither shut nor open, a radiator that did not work. But the best bit was that it was tiny and the so called double bed was at best a wide single - pushed against the wall.

It was late so I located the kettle, three tea bags, three sugar sachets, four coffee sachets and one biscuit. Then I tried to hunt down the hair dryer - there wasn't one. I did get one brought up to the room.

The 0645 wake up call never came but fortunately I had set an alarm as a back up.

I will never stay at this hotel again. It has got two stars because breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: If you have paid for a double do not under any circumstance accept a small double. Get a room at lea...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us, especially when learning that you were not happy with the service received on check in. We have a passion for delivering excellent customer service which we regularly receive excellent feedback about and can be seen from previous reviews.

I was sorry to note that you were unhappy with your room. Thank you for taking time to provide me with your reservation details so that I had the opportunity to investigate. I can see from your booking that you had reserved one of our small double rooms. Our small double rooms are described as such because they only have a 4ft bed as opposed to our standard double rooms containing a bed which is 4ft 6. This is detailed on our web site with images of the room type. There may be upgrades available on request by contacting our Reception team during your stay or enquiring on check in. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our team direct who would be more than happy to discuss your requirements and make recommendations to best suit your needs.

The County is a Grade 2 listed building and still has many of the original features, including the sash windows. We appreciate these can be heavy and therefore awkward to open. There is Guest Relations Manager available 24 hours a day to assist with this and any other requests relating to your room. The team are on hand to make your stay an enjoyable one and we are always more than happy to help.

Our wake up calls are delivered through our telephone system automatically and I can see from your reservation that this has been entered. I would like to apologise that you did not receive it and will look into this as a matter of urgency.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us next time you visit Newcastle. Please contact our hotel team direct who will help to tailor your stay to best meet your needs.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend as we were going to a party in Newcastle and wanted somewhere cheap but cheerful to stay. We paid around £63, this was for a standard double room as I was concerned that the bed in a small double might not be big enough. The bed was really large in our room so that was fine - it was really comfortable too. The room itself was quite small and basic but fair for what we'd paid for a hotel in such a good location - it had hairdryer, dressing table, lamp, free wi-fi etc. The room was a bit cold and there was a problem closing the window but we didn't complain as we literally only got ready in the room, slept there and then left the next morning. Our room was facing central station but we didn't notice the noise too much (we didn't get into the room until after 3am though and after a lot of drinks we didn't have any problems falling asleep!). The bathroom was small and quite average.The staff were really friendly. We didn't use any facilities or east in the restaurant. I'd probably stay here again if I wanted a city centre hotel at a low cost, but not if I wanted something more luxurious - we thought it was a good base for a night out so would be perfect for hen / stag parties etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a standard double, not a small double, if you're a couple as the bed is much bigger!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be comfortable and our location to be convenient. I have noted from your feedback that you may not choose to stay with us should you be looking for something more luxurious. At The County, we also offer Executive rooms and a Junior Suite. The rooms are larger than our standard double rooms and offer added extras for when you are looking for a touch of luxury. Please contact us direct for more information on these rooms.

I was sorry to learn that you found the room to be cold. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Manager who is available 24 hours a day to assist with any such issues.

I was pleased to note that you found our team to be helpful and friendly. This is always great to hear and I am sure they will be delighted to read your comments.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Burnley
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here before, on behalf of work, and always come away saying "never again"!

I should have know what was coming when the receptionist used the phrase "small double" - well he'll never have trading standards on his back!

The room was indeed a small room with a double bed!! So here goes:-

Negatives:-
Room was tiny;
Double bed could only fit in by being pushed up against the wall;
Radiator and heating stuck on maximum - very very warm in a very small room;
The creakiest floorboards I've ever heard - other than on cheap horror movies;
No where to comfortably eat your room service other than on your bed!

Positives:-
The biggest tv ever for the size of the room;
Very friendly staff;
A quick check out!

Needless to say - I will be staying at Jury's next time which is five minutes away!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Parkie68
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not happy with your room during your stay with us. Here at The County, we have a variety of room types available. Our small doubles rooms are as described and are ideal for single travellers or as a base whilst exploring the city. The rooms are compact and cosy and offer a 4ft bed in comparison to our standard double rooms with the standard 4ft6 bed. Many people prefer our executive rooms for the added space and original features. They allow you to add a touch of luxury to your stay, without compromising on value. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team who would be more than happy to discuss your requirements and make recommendations for a room to best suit your needs.

On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of our team. The team here work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time at The County and make the most of their stay. Please be assured, your kind comments will be passed on to the team.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you are in Newcastle.