“New Year Party - Fantastic”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Reviewed 1 January 2014

What a great time. Booked to stay the New Years Eve and attend the Hogmanay Ball. From start to finish the event was faultless and we will book to return next year. I cannot recommend this event highly enough if you want to have a great New Years Eve. The staff were brilliant, always helpful and provided excellent service, we wanted for nothing. The food was excellent, well presented and good quality. Entertainment was a Ceilidh followed by a Disco, both filled the floor to finish off the perfect night. We went for the Hogmanay Ball but also stayed the night, room was clean and tidy, while breakfast continued the high standards of the night before with a comprehensive choice that was well presented. Thank you to everyone at the hotel and the party goers for a great night, we look forward to seeing you next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank chriscar0l
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read that you had a great time celebrating New Years Eve with us. The Hogmanay Ball has proven to be very popular over the years with many of our guests returning year after year. We have an excellent team here at The County who work very hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and I was pleased to note that you found the service received throughout your stay was of such a high standard. Please be assured that your kind comments will be passed on to the team who I am sure will be very happy to read them.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your breakfast on New Year Day. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification and have been receiving excellent feed back from our guests about this which is always great to hear.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

There are newer reviews for County Hotel

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Friendly, welcoming staff on reception upon arrival and checking out. Clean rooms, comfy beds. Earplugs provided for a quiet night as room at front of hotel on a busy road and opposite train station but not required as secondary glazing was perfectly adequate. The room had twin beds which were very comfy. The room was warm and cosy, with a tv, adequate storage, iron and board and hairdryer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayne M

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. The team here at the County work very hard to ensure our guests feel welcome. I will personally ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to your room. Having such an excellent city centre location has many advantages however; external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Here at The County we like to ensure all of our guests have a comfortable and refreshing nights sleep and I am pleased that you have noted the steps we take to make sure our guests are not disturbed by the hustle and bustle of the city during their stay.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I arrived on Saturday evening on a DB&B rate. After checking in I went straight to the bar to ask for the snack menu because the restaurant was already closed (at 9pm on Saturday night!?!?!). The lady behind the bar said "sorry the kitchen is closed because the chefs have gone home early" I said "I can't even have a sandwich?)" to which she replied "no sorry".
Is the manager on holiday or something? Seems strange the chefs can leave early on the busiest night of the week.
What makes it worse is that i had dinner included in my rate.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Robert1710
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with the service you received during your stay with us. Our restaurant may have been closed as we run a limited service over the quiet evenings during the Christmas period. However, I was very surprised to note that you were told the kitchen was closed as the 24 hour room service menu is always available. You can choose to eat this in your room or in our bar during opening hours. Please be assured that we have a Duty Manager available 24hours a day and I am confident should they have been made aware of your issue and more specifically that your rate included dinner, that it would have been rectified immediately. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and be assured that this matter will be brought to the attention of our Restaurant Manager so that they can investigate further.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Newcastle. Please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team direct in order to get the best available rate.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

A real review from a real person. Stayed here with my partner for our Christmas Party on 21st Dec. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left I having nothing but good things to say. Staff/room/breakfast everything was in my book excellent. We had a large double room @ £69 with breakfast which considering prices in other hotel was excellent value. The room had a very large double bed, was lovely and warm and very clean and it had everything we needed for the evening.

Breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel and I have been in few. Overall on leaving I felt it was money well spent and later in year we have booked for some theatre tickets and I will definately be booking in here again for the night.

My thanks to the staff who even though what must be a busy time for them were always helpful and smiling........!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our Festive Party Nights have proven to be very popular and I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your evening. It is always great to read such a positive review and I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be of a high standard of cleanliness and have everything you would need for a comfortable stay.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our breakfast offering. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification with many new items. The selection of items to choose from is now much larger and we have received a great deal of positive feedback from our guests following this. I was pleased to read that you were able to join us for breakfast and experience this first hand.

I will personally ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with you feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County later in the year for your visit to the theatre.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

My firm booked this stay (December 2013) through LateRooms. I rang to check the booking first but they couldn't find it so the lady that booked it rang and confirmed I was booked. Unfortunately I have a surname that is a little 'awkward' so I had the booking reference with me just in case. When I arrived I gave the receptionist my name and spelt it out for her. She looked on the system and then asked me how to spell my name - a pet hate of mine. Nothing there. I gave her the reference and she still couldn't find it. She disappeared out the back and then returned and started typing. "Did you find it?" I asked. Seems she did but didn't think to let me know! Turns out I was filed under a different letter... No apology. No smile. Most unwelcoming.

My room, 321, was fine apart from damp stain on ceiling (historic water leak?), non-functioning bathroom fan and a window that I had to use the complimentary pen to prop it open. Corridor floors are a bit creaky but the room is well away from the lifts so this didn't cause too much disturbance at night.

TV reception is appalling - in these days of digital TVs I don't expect a grainy picture and missing channels - eg. Film4 - no signal.

Two breakfasts were the usual 'much as you can eat' for 15 quid affairs but no complaints there apart from the price.

Hotel is well positioned for the Central Station (British Rail and the Metro) and the town centre is just 'round the corner...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

I was very disappointed to learn of the problem you encountered on check in. I am sorry that you feel our Reception team did not make you feel welcome. This was very surprising to read. As you can see from previous reviews, we often receive excellent feedback regarding the friendliness of the Reception team. Please be assured I will highlight your review to the team.

I am sorry that you found not everything in your room was in good working order. The County is a Grade 2 listed building and retains many original features, the original sash windows being one of these. These windows can be heavy and awkward to open and should you require any assistance with this, the Duty Manager can be contacted via Reception. We have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day who I am confident, had they been made aware of any issues, would have rectified them immediately.

I was pleased to note that you were satisfied with our breakfast offering. Here at The County we have recently implemented a new breakfast specification with many new items. We have an excellent choice of both hot and cold items and I am confident there is something for everyone. Since our new breakfast offering was introduced, we regularly receive outstanding feedback from our guests with many saying it is the ‘’best hotel breakfast they have had’’! Breakfast can be purchased at Reception on check in for a special price of £10.00 per person or in the morning in the restaurant at £14.95.

I was pleased to note you found the location of our hotel to be an advantage. Being directly opposite Central Station, just a stones throw from the main shopping areas and a short walk from many of Newcastle’s main attractions we really are in the heart of the city.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with you feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here for one night as our Christmas party was here. Firstly the staff on reception were very helpful and I was checked in straight away. I had booked a small double as there was just me and it was quite sufficient for myself. It had everything you need and I was pleasantly surprised following some of the reviews regarding the small doubles. There is an iron and board, a hairdryer, a free safe, tea and coffee facilities basically everything you would expect for an overnight stay. I had requested a quiet room and therefore was not overlooking the road and station. The room was very hot when I first went in but turning the radiators down soon cooled the room and it was pleasantly warm thereafter. The room had full bathroom with bath and always plenty of hot water. Breakfast the next morning was good buffet style with hot and continental style. Now the hotel was a good experience but I didn't feel the party was up to the same standards. It all felt very unorganised and had to wait a while for the courses to be served. One of my colleagues food was undercooked and had to be returned and others had to wait longer for their food to be served. The overall night was okay and we still had a good night. I would stay at this hotel again but wouldn't be attending any more Christmas parties here.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that don't overlook the station to get a quieter nights sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank treacle5
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room to have everything you required for a comfortable stay. I was pleased to note that you found the team to be friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification with many new options available and have received a great deal of positive feedback following this.

I was very surprised to read that you were not satisfied with your experience at your Christmas party. Our festive party nights have proven to be very popular indeed and we regularly receive excellent feedback about the quality of the food and service during these events. I am sorry that you felt it was unorganised but I feel that all feedback is good feedback and I will personally ensure your comments are passed on to the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Hi
If there is anyone out there looking for a venue for a wedding,function or just a party in and around Newcastle then I would strongly recommend this hotel.
We booked our wedding reception in January of this year for December and the service,advise and help you get is second to none from the wedding coordinator right through to all the staff, also what excellent value for money for what you get on the day brilliant!!!
Our wedding party was made up of just over 50 with 9 children and everyone who came said it was one of the best days they had ever had with superb food and service,we had 10 rooms booked and everyone was of a very good standard and the beds were more than comfortable.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this venue to anyone It's superb.
Thank you to everyone who had a hand in our day at the Thistle.
You made our day
Tony & Margaret

Room Tip: All at our party slept well so unable to advise on the best location within the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with such positive feedback of your experience at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was absolutely delighted to learn that the team played a part in making your special day such a memorable one.

Weddings at the County are becoming very popular indeed, with the building lending itself to the feel of a country house in the heart of the city. I was pleased to note that you found our venue to be excellent value for money and the team to be helpful and professional from the initial enquiry to the finer details of your big day. I will personally ensure your kind comments are passed on to all involved in making the day a success and I am sure they will be really pleased to learn of your satisfaction. Thank you for your kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County for your anniversary stay!

Congratulations and very best wishes for the future.