“Excellent city centre hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Limerick, Ireland
“Excellent city centre hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, no problems on check in, rooms spacious and spotless, my room was on third floor and had extra sound proof window.
No problems with noise.
Hotel has restaurant, bar etc a bit pricey but nice.
Location direct across from train station and only few minutes walk from city centre pubs, restaurants and st James football stadium.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom S
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read such a positive review of our hotel. It is great to note that you found our Reception team fast and efficient on check in and your room to be spacious and clean. The whole team at The County work very hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their time with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and I will personally ensure they are passed on to the team.

It is great to learn that you appreciated the secondary glazing in the room and were not disturbed by city centre noise. We take great care in ensuring our guests get a great night sleep and as you have noted, have taken extra precautions to ensure this happens.

I was pleased to note that you found our location to be convenient for seeing all that Newcastle has to offer. Being a short walk from the main shopping areas, bars, restaurants and attractions such as Metro Radio Arena and St James’ Park is a great advantage.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel is right beside the train station so you have on of the rooms facing Neville Street it can be quite noisy. As someone else pointed out, the rooms on that side are very hot and stuffy probably due to the thickness of the windows to keep the noise out.

Breakfast is good and the staff are very pleasant and helpful.

Rooms are a bit outdated but clean and spacious. They advertise "Fast Free Wifi". Well...... it's free and it's wifi, but it's certainly not fast. Well,maybe in 2004 it was fast. Perhaps if they secured it they would find there's a few less users and thus the speed is a bit better.

Anyway, it's standard fare. Decent but noisy location in the centre of Newcastle, with good staff.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Neville Street are noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to learn that you found the team at The County to be friendly and welcoming and that you were able to join us for breakfast. As you will see from previous reviews, we regularly received excellent feedback about our extensive breakfast offering and I appreciate you sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community.

The County is in a great location in the heart of the city with excellent transport links. Not only are we directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and Metro Station we are also just a short walk from the bus station. External noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it but no more so for us than in any other city centre hotel. All of our outward facing rooms have been fitted with secondary glazing in an effort to keep any disturbance from the busy city centre to a minimum. Please be assured that we have a duty manager available 24 hours a day and should your room to be too hot, I am confident they would try their best to rectify this by adjusting the heating, providing lighter bedding and/or a fan.

I was disappointed to note that you found the Wi-Fi was slow. Since introducing fast free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, the vast majority of feedback regarding the speed and the ease of connection has been excellent. Please be assured that all feedback is taken seriously and I will ensure this is checked immediately.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night and will not be back. Rooms have no double glazing so listened to buses all night and general noise. Rooms need a good clean and have poor facilities. I think people expect more. The only positive was the staff who were friendly and the free wifi.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Caroline M
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to note that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. Having been built in 1874, The County is a Grade II listed building and retains many of the original features, the sash windows being one of these. I can confirm that all of our outward facing rooms have secondary glazing in order to keep any disturbance caused by our busy city centre location to a minimum.

I was surprised to note that you felt the cleanliness of your room was not of a high standard and had poor facilities. Every room at The County is equipped with tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary toiletries, a hairdryer, an iron and ironing board, freeview television and of course fast, free and unlimited Wi-Fi access. As you will see from previous reviews we regularly receive excellent feedback about the standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel and our rooms providing everything you would need for a comfortable nights stay. Our executive rooms have added extras including bath robes, slippers and bottled water. On your next visit please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team direct who I am confident would help to find a room to best suit your requirements.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to read that you found the staff at The County to be friendly and welcoming. The team here have a passion for delivering exceptional customer service and work very hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights in a small double. Hotel directly opposite Central station so good transport links. The hotel was quite dated, and my room could have done with a thorough clean. Shower, wifi & breakfast was good. Fine for two nights, but wouldn't stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank EmilyyJayne
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you found our convenient location opposite Newcastle Central Station and Metro station to be an advantage. The County is ideally situated to enable our guests to make the most of the city during their visit. Not only do we have excellent transport links, we are also just a stones throw away from the main shopping area and Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants.

I was surprised to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with the level of cleanliness in the room. The housekeeping team here at The County pride themselves on providing a very high standard of cleanliness in our rooms and throughout the hotel. As you will see from previous reviews, we regularly receive excellent feedback about this.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to note that you took advantage of our complimentary Wi-Fi and enjoyed your breakfast with us in the morning. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification with our breakfast now having a larger and more varied selection of items to choose from. The feedback we have received following this has been excellent.

Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Be warned the corridor floors are quite creaky so you can hear people coming from about 20 paces, whether you - or they - like it or not. See below re info about the room. Jess in the dining room was very attentive, friendly & helpful. Thanks, Jess! Breakfast was about £10 if you hadn't booked it in advance (£17.95). There was a fair amount of variety, although the scrambled eggs seemed to be a frozen roll cut in slices to order. Tables are a tight squeeze so don't have too many plates on there all at the same time. If you're looking for somewhere convenient for the train station, this is about as close as it gets (I've stayed at the Royal across the road, too, & was woken up by the trains whizzing thro' during the night). It's also convenient for lots of bars, restaurants, etc. If you are a good sleeper, it won't be a problem for you but if you sleep light - do be aware.

Room Tip: If you are offered a room at the front of the hotel, you will find that you have earplugs, too. They...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lorr H
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was happy to note that you found our location to be convenient and the team, especially Jess, to be friendly and welcoming. Please be assured that your kind comments are appreciated and will be passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them!

I was pleased to learn that you were able to join us for breakfast in the morning and that you found the selection of items to be good. If our guests have reserved a room on a room only basis they can add on breakfast on arrival for just £10.00 per person. Should they wish to wait until the morning, breakfast can be purchased in the restaurant for £14.95. I was surprised to note that you were disappointed with the scrambled eggs. I can confirm that our scrambled eggs are freshly made on the day as and when needed using fresh eggs. If you prefer your scrambled eggs to be cooked a different way to those served, please do not hesitate to ask our chef to prepare an individual portion.

Being in the heart of such a busy city, external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Here at The County, we recognise that this could be an issue if you are a light sleeper and have therefore fitted all of our outward facing rooms with secondary glazing and provide complimentary ear plugs. We also have a selection of rooms at the rear of the building overlooking our courtyard car park which may be available upon request.

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for my birthday weekend. Wish we hadn't!
Although fairly recently painted the room was tired and looked its age. The windows are rightly triple glazed to keep out the road and train station noise. As a result the room was stiflingly hot. The bed was a double but soft and again felt worn.
The bathroom was clean but didn't feel it due to the bath handle being loose and the amount of bath sealant everywhere. This just made it feel tired and in need of a refresh.
Having already read the reviews on here about rowdy guests I was a little anxious about the noise but put them aside as the hotel is conveniently located and is supposed to be part of a decent chain.
PLEASE read and believe the reviews regarding guest behaviour. We were woken by multiple inconsiderate drunks banging on doors, screaming down corridors on our floor and the floor above. We were woken at least twice an hour from 1am - 4am.
Given there is 'security' on the door I feel it is unacceptable that the floors are not patrolled to keep this behaviour to a minimum.
As the phone is not by the bedside I didn't bother to call reception (not that I think them coming up once would have helped as the behaviour was all night)
In the morning when complaining, the fact I hadn't rang was the main defence, which infuriated me more.
The second defence was that 'this is Newcastle', which frankly I found insulting...
So, if you are looking to visit Newcastle but are not intending to party until 4am skip the Thistle. My advice would be get a cheaper room further out of town and use the saving to get a taxi

Room Tip: Just don't bother staying here. The location is spoilt by the rowdiness of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThatDavison
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to learn that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. The County is in an excellent location in the heart of the city. Although this has many advantages for our guests, external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. All of our external facing rooms are fitted with secondary glazing to try and keep any disturbance to a minimum. I was sorry to learn that you found the room to be too hot as a result of this. Please be assured that we have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day who I am confident, should they have been made aware of this issue, would have tried their best to rectify the situation by adjusting the heating, providing lighter bedding or a fan.

I was sorry to note that you felt the bathroom was not maintained to a high standard. I have forwarded you a private message requesting further information for me to look into this. Please be assured that this is not the norm by any means and I will personally ensure this is investigated and rectified if you can provide me with the room number.

Please accept my apologies for the inconsiderate behaviour of some of our guests during your stay with us. As you have noted, we do have security staff employed by the hotel to try to minimise disruption. They will stop non residents from entering the building and they try to encourage guests to use the bar facility which is open until the early hours to avoid noise in bedrooms and on corridors. We also carry out several recorded patrols during the night. These floor walks are carried out by either the Night Manager or a member of the security team and any noise is addressed as soon as discovered. As well as the recorded floor patrols, the night porter also makes several visits to bedroom floors at night whilst carrying out his duties. Any noise issues are reported to the Night Manager or the security team to action immediately.

I appreciate that it is not ideal, however there are times when the hotel team are not on the bedroom corridors so we would encourage our guests to call Reception and report any noise issues so we can immediately act on them. We would then monitor the area where the disturbance was coming from to ensure it did not reoccur. I understand you were asked if you had called down when you checked out. This is by no means used as an excuse and I apologise if you felt it came across that way. The management team at The County are better equipped to deal with a situation effectively if they have gathered all relevant information before drawing upon any conclusions.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the disturbance caused you – this was not our intention by any means.

Exmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights whilst visiting our son who is at Newcastle University.

We booked an executive room for a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night and were given a room on the second floor. Unfortunately we asked to be moved after the first night as the noise from music and construction work (the railway station is close by and being renovated) was so bad neither of us had much sleep.

We were moved to the fifth floor with no fuss from the hotel staff and had a much better experience.

The staff were friendly, the room was good and the bed was very comfortable. We could'nt comment on the food as we ate out but the restaurant and bar looked good. The location is also great for all Newcastle has to offer.

A good tip would be don't stay in the centre of Newcastle during the weekend if you are not a party animal.

Room Tip: See above - the fifth floor is best.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aarovic
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us in one of our executive rooms. Please accept my apologies for your disturbed first night. Being in the heart of the city does have many advantages however external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. All of our outward facing rooms are fitted with secondary glazing and complimentary ear plus are provided to ensure you enjoy a peaceful evening. Should you be a light sleeper, we do have rooms overlooking our courtyard card park which may be available on request. I was pleased to note that on bringing this to our attention, our Reception team were helpful in moving you to a higher floor for your second night.

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to the staff you encountered during your stay. We recurrently receive excellent feedback about the team here at The County being friendly and welcoming. This is always great to hear.