“Sunday Lunch Terrible”

County Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch Terrible”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I went today for Sunday Lunch it was awful the cutlery was dirty on the table, the staff were very slow and the food was shocking, very small portions and the main beef dinner was shocking the beef was red and undercooked and the vegetables were cold it took a while for them to serve us the beef dinner. my fiancee felt ill after having his Sunday lunch wont go back here again. I recommend to other travellers not to go for Sunday lunch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharyn t
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied when joining us for Sunday Lunch.

Our Sunday Lunch offering has proven to be very popular with some excellent feedback received this year so far. I was surprised to note that you found the cutlery to be dirty and the team to be slow. Please accept my apologies for this and be assured that this is not the norm by any means. We have a very experienced Sunday Lunch team whose attention to detail is excellent. As well as our Food and Beverage Manager and Supervisor, we also have a Duty Manager available during Sunday Lunch to assist with any such issues. I am confident had the team been made aware of these problems they would have rectified them immediately.

I was sorry to note that you found the portions to be small and the beef to be undercooked. We always cook our beef ‘medium’ which means that the beef may be pink. We understand that this may not be to everyone’s taste and our team would be more than happy to provide beef which is well done if advised.

I am sorry your fiancée wasn’t feeling too well. I can confirm that we served over 100 lunches on the date you joined us for Sunday Lunch and have not been made aware of any other complaints of illness.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

stayed here sunday 4th may from the moment you walk in to the hotel to the time you leave nothing is to much for all the staff at the hotel very courteous and considerate. it is a very impressive building from the outside and in. we stayed in a king room on top floor and it was of an excellent standard the king bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in and the room was furnished to a very high standard flat screen television with plenty of channels to choose from including music ones.the bathroom was spotless with the option of a shower or bath and all the toiletries supplied were excellent.the location of the hotel is second to none only a few minutes walk for all that Newcastle has to offer and right across the road from the metro and central railway station. hope to be back soon thanks to all at the thistle

Room Tip: I would say top floors are much quieter facing on to the station
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmurphy69
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read such a positive review of our hotel and that you would wish to return on your next visit to Newcastle.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. The team here at The County work hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and that they would wish to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community and please be assured that I will personally pass on your comments to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them!

It is great to note that you found our location to be convenient and your room to be furnished to a very high standard, most importantly, with a very comfortable bed! I hope you had a great night sleep! Such positive feedback is always great to hear.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Ok, I'll start with the positives: super friendly staff (especially the breakfast team - wonderful!); fantastic location; delicious multi-choice breakfast (with veggie sausages); very comfy bed. Less positive: the room (executive double) was large but not spectacularly appointed; bathroom was tiny and very dated - the shower was fairly rubbish; lighting wasn't great; no fridge. For the price, I expected a bit more, but realistically I suppose we were paying for an acceptable standard in a top location. One other thing to note: we were in a room on the 2nd floor overlooking Grainger Street, so expected some noise and took ear plugs, which was fine. The service was great and it's so conveniently situated, and we'll definitely stay there again - so I really wish I could give it 4 stars, but it doesn't quite have the necessary wow factor.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would wish to return on your next visit to Newcastle. It is great to read that the staff you encountered were friendly and helpful and our location was convenient for your visit to Newcastle.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast offering. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification and have received a great deal of very positive feedback following this.

I was surprised to note that you found your executive double room did not meet your expectations. These rooms are very popular with our guests for being luxurious and spacious whilst still providing excellent value for money in a great city centre location.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just returned from a lovely overnight stay at the Thistle County Hotel in Newcastle from the moment my friend and myself arrived we were put at ease lovely and clean.
Resturant food and service was really good especially Robyn our waitress for dinner and breakfast nothing was a bother to her

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read such a positive review about our hotel and it is great to note that you enjoyed your time with us whilst in Newcastle.

Thank you for your comments about the high standard of cleanliness throughout. Our housekeeping team work hard to ensure our bedrooms are of a consistently high standard of cleanliness at all times. Please be assured that your kind comments will be passed on to the team.

It is great to note that you joined us for both dinner and breakfast in our restaurant and that you found the service to be great. I will personally ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team, especially Robyn, who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends from 28 April to 1 May and had a great time. Arrived by train so location just over the road was ideal. Our room was lovely and warm - in fact some of our party had to ask for the window lock to be removed so that they could open them to cool the room. Choice of breakfast buffet food was really good and the night we ate in the hotel the food was excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us during your time in Newcastle. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our excellent city centre location. Being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station is a great advantage for our guests.

It was great to read that you found your room to be of a high standard and that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience. We have recently implemented a new breakfast specification and have received excellent feedback from our guests following this.

I was pleased to note that you found the team here at The County to be friendly and helpful. As you will see from previous reviews, we regularly receive exceptional feedback about them. Our team work very hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their time with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for one night on Monday 28th April, as we were going to see McBusted at the Metro Radio Arena. Let's start with the location, this hotel is in a fantastic location, right in the centre of Newcastle, right across the road from the train station, literally you can see the hotel when you get off the train, so if your doing a lot of shopping over your trip, you can just leave your bags to the last minute at the hotel before getting on the train without carrying bags a mile to the station. It is also a short 5 minute walk to the arena, so it's very convient if your going to a show or concert. I must say there is a closer hotel to the arena, the Jurys Inn which we stayed at last time, however, we found that the Thistle was a lot better in location even though it was a little further away than the arena, as it was so close to the station and the main shopping district, without being to far away from the arena, so if you are planning to go to a concert there, and are looking for the best price, this hotel should fit the bill.

The main reception area is really nice, and looks like it has just been refurbished, and the bar area, although we only went in to have a look, it looked very modern and very spacious. Also the staff were very friendly, we only spoke to two different people, one to check in, no problems, everything was great, and one to check out and leave our bags before we went shopping, so from our two experiences with the staff, everyone was very friendly and helpfull.

We staying in room 321, which is a standard double room, now this room was really small, it was fine for the two of us, but it was a little cosy compared to what we have experienced at other hotels of the same rating for double rooms. The room was fully equiped with a nice size tv on the wall, 2 mirrors, a dressing table, and the bathroom, which only had one miniture body wash, and one miniture shampoo. So as there was two of us staying it didn't feel like enough, but we made do. Same with the tea and coffee making facilities in the room, we didn't seem to get a lot, only two sugars, and as we both like sugar in our tea and coffee, it didn't go a long way. Just little things, but it does make quite a difference when you don't get them.

Our main complaint really, which stopped this hotel from getting a 4 star review, was there was no air con in the room, and the walls were really really thin. The room was roasting, it felt like we were in Spain which made it really uncomfortabke for most of the night. In this day and age, especially a central hotel chain, EVERY room should have air con at the bare minimum!

We were last on the corridor so we thought we wouldn't get any disturbance, HOWEVER, at around 1am in the morning, I was awoken by a staff member walking around the corridor checking the fire exit door, talking to another staff member, possibly the caretakers, not great at 1am when we were trying to sleep. It literally sounded like they were standing next to the bed it was that loud. Also, we heard people walking around in the room above us and around the corridors all night. God knows what they were doing, and yes I understand this was not the hotels fault per se, but you really shouldn't be hearing this stuff as loud as we could.

So, in summary, this hotel is in a perfect location for anyone travelling to Newcastle for either a night out, a concert, or just a shopping trip, and you can no doubt get it for a really good price like we did. But, be warned, especially in the Summer I can imagine it to be horendous with no air con, and normally, when I read reviews and see people complaining about noise, i think to myself, get a grip your staying in a central hotel there's bound to be noise, but this was the first time ever it has really bothered me so take that as you want.

Would I stay here again? If the price was right I probably would, purely for the location, but I would be very tempted to try the Holliday Inn Express or give the Jurys Inn another go next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devlinryan
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you found our city centre location to be convenient for your visit to Newcastle. Being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and just a stones throw from Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants is a great advantage for our guests. I have to agree, being within short walking distance of the Metro Radio Arena is very convenient should you be visiting Newcastle to see a concert.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to the friendliness of our team. The staff here at The County work hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their time with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle. As you can see from previous reviews, we regularly receive excellent feedback about the team.

I was disappointed to read that you found the room to be small. This is surprising to note as the room you have mentioned is one of our standard double rooms. Should you be looking for a room which is more spacious, we do have a selection of executive double rooms. These large and lofty rooms add a touch of luxury to any stay without compromising on value. On your next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact our in house reservations team direct who I am confident would help to find a room to best suit your requirements. I would also like to assure you that we do have a Duty Manager on hand 24 hours a day to ensure your stay is enjoyable and to assist with any requests you may have during your time with us. Should you require extra tea, coffee, sugar, milk or toiletries, our Duty Manager is always available to carry out any such requests.

I was sorry to note that you found the temperature in the room uncomfortable. As our hotel dates back to the late 1800’s, there are areas of the building which are warmer than others. We are aware of this and always ensure that fans and lighter bedding are available to any guests who require them. Thank you for bringing this to my attention as we have not had any previous reports of temperature problems in this particular room. The rooms at The County are heated centrally however they are all equipped with thermostatic controls to enable our guests to adjust the temperature in the room to a comfortable level. I am confident had our Duty Manager been made aware of your discomfort, they would have tried their best to rectify the problem immediately.

Please accept my apologies for any noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. Our Night Management team do carry out regular patrols of the building however I have never been made aware of any issues relating to disturbance caused during this patrols. Our Night Management team are very conscious of noise and work hard to ensure any disturbance is kept to a minimum throughout the evening. Please be assured that your comments are taken very seriously and I will ensure this is investigated fully by our Night Manager.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is great to note that you found our hotel to be great value for money and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for a week, while working in Newcastle. The down stairs of the hotel has been updated, but think they have forgotten about the upstairs which needs a major update. The rooms are quite cold and all that's in the room is a small heater that doesn't do much. It very loud of a night with the bars by the hotel and where the bed was in my room there was a door in the hall outside so all night all you got was the door banging against the wall which shakes the bed. Another colleague also stayed in the hotel and was 2 floors lower and at the back of the hotel and she said she didn't sleep well with all the noise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to note that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. I can confirm that all of our rooms are centrally heated and there are radiators with adjustable thermostats in all rooms. As our hotel dates back to the late 1800’s, there are some areas of the building which are cooler than others. We recognise that this can be a problem and always ensure there is a Duty Manager on hand 24hours a day to assist by providing further heating equipment, such a small heaters or extra bedding if necessary. I am confident that should the Duty Manager have been made aware of you discomfort that they would have tried their best to rectify the problem.

Our city centre location is a great advantage for our guests. Being in the heart of the city means we are just a stones throw from all that Newcastle has to offer and have excellent transports links. We understand that external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it and we have therefore fitted all of our outward facing rooms with secondary glazing. We also have a selection of rooms facing our courtyard car park which can be quieter as they do not face directly onto the road. Please accept my apologies for any disturbance you experienced during your stay. On you next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team prior to your arrival who will help to find a room to best suit your needs.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.