“Good service, comfort and location”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel staff were excellent in attitude and service. The room was clean, comfortable, and convenient. I had a problem with my booking, not the hotel's fault, which reception staff handled calmly and reassuringly. Breakfast was excellent and staff were most helpful. The only thing I would have welcomed was some help with my luggage. I had to haul some heavy luggage to reception up several stairs. I had to repeat the lifting up two short flights of steps to my second floor room. I'm in my 70s so some assistance would have been appreciated. Good value in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not face Neville Street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelTre
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff you encountered to be friendly, helpful and attentive. We regularly receive great feedback about the team and I appreciate you sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast offering. Our breakfast is very popular with our guests. Whether you are looking for a light bite of pastries and fruit or a hearty Full English breakfast, our buffet breakfast offers something for everyone!

Please be assured that there is always a member of the team on hand to assist with luggage to and from your room upon request. Our main entrance does have a few steps up into Reception; however, there is a bell at the main entrance to call for assistance if required. Should you prefer, there is also ramp access via our RendezVous bar at the side of the hotel or alternatively via our car park entrance at the rear of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I was delighted to note that you found The County to be great value for money and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

There are newer reviews for County Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Bit confused by the review a few down. We visited today for Sunday Lunch (on a cracking Living Social Deal). Both had a very nice ham terrine with pease pudding followed by roast beef and a spicy roast haddock dish. Enjoyed a very nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and couldn't resist desserts (very nice toffee sundae and even better chocolate orange brownie).

Staff were very efficient and, when there was a very slight delay between mains and desserts, they came to acknowledge there had been a slight delay and apologised.

All served in a very nice (and full) function room overlooking Central Station. And instead of mints with the bill we had individually wrapped jelly belly beans. All good!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to us at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read that you joined us for Sunday Lunch in our magnificent Mozart Suite and that you found the team here to be attentive and helpful. It is great to read such a positive review! The team here at The County work very hard to ensure all of our guests have a very enjoyable dining experience and as such would wish to return. Please be assured that your kind comments will be passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such great feedback about their efforts.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I do hope you will dine with us again in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff were very good, the surrounding very pleasant. However, as one who has good food at home, a disappointing meal for a renowned hotel. Beef a little tough to chew, vegetables bland. Sweet good. Noted this one the review card handed out with the bill.

Dear Reviewer,

We have received some excellent feedback about our Sunday Lunch this year and I was surprised to note that you found the beef to be a little tough and the vegetables to be bland. Please be assured that your feedback has been communicated our Head Chef to investigate. I can confirm that the vast majority of guests who joined us for Sunday Lunch have given our team some very good feedback. Please accept my apologies that you found your meal to be disappointing. Our Food and Beverage Manager is always on hand during Sunday Lunch and I am confident had he been made aware of this issue, it would have been rectified immediately.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The positives about this hotel are the location and the staff. A better location is simply not possible, being right opposite the train station with very easy access to the metro (which connects to the airport) and the city center at walking distance. The staff (reception, cleaning and restaurant) has been very friendly and helpful on every interaction I had with them. In addition, the free wifi works well.

The rooms are quite small, though I suppose that is to be expected given the location. The window doesn't let in a lot of natural light (small window and facing a building) which gives a bit of a depressing atmosphere. On the other hand the curtains do not fully cover the window, so there is always some light coming in in the mornings. The window cannot easily be opened while there is also no airco. The bathroom is fine, although the water temperature for the shower sometimes fluctuates. The room room is quite noisy, with noise from both the corridor and outside being easily audible. It was not a problem for me because the neighbors were quiet when I asked them to, but it is not ideal for light sleepers.

Equipment present includes a safe, tea making set, an iron and a hairdryer. Unfortunately, the safe is just too small to easily fit in a 15" laptop. Just an inch/few cm more and it would have been much more useful. Unfortunately the room has no fridge, which is something I really miss. Also the supplies are a bit limited (four bags of tea in a two person room for example) and the supplies are not always replaced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank evdk

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments about our excellent location. Being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and just a stones throw form all that Newcastle has to offer is a great advantage for our guests.

I was delighted to read your comments about the staff you encountered during your stay. The team here at The County work hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle.

I was sorry to learn that you found the room to be small and that you were disturbed by external noise. Being in the heart of the city does have many advantages; however, external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Please be assured that we do have a duty manager available 24 hours a day. Our duty managers are equipped to deal with any requests to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Should you require a quieter room, extra tea bags or assistance when opening the window, our duty manager is always on hand to help and can be contacted via Reception.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having recently returned home following a 2 night stay at this hotel, I am compelled to write a review to express my disappointment. Firstly I can say that we were on a preferential rate as part of a wedding party, and it was still £90 per night. The rooms were very small, the bed uncomfortable with only 2 flimsy pillows (no additional pillows in room), and in need of redecorating. The room we were allocated overlooked newcastle central station, as a result there was street noise all night, not just traffic but very noisy revellers and party goers. The hotel advertisers parking space, however there is only room for approx 20 cars, and they charge an additional £10 per night for parking. We had to park in a multi storey car park about 10 mins walk away, resulting in us and our luggage getting soaked in the rain whilst walking back to the hotel.
The lift in the hotel is definitely the slowest I have ever used, this is not a £100 per night hotel.
All in all it was a very disappointing stay, and I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the station

Dear Reviewer,

I was very sorry to learn of your disappointment and that you found the room to be small. The County was built in the late 1800’s and as such our rooms do vary in size from cosy yet comfortable small double rooms to our more spacious and luxurious executive rooms. I was surprised to note that you found there were no extra pillows in the room. As a standard, our rooms have two extra pillows which are located in the wardrobe. I am sorry that this was not this case during your stay. Please be assured that there is a duty manager available 24 hours a day who I am confident had they been made aware of this would have rectified the problem immediately.

Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed by external street noise. Our excellent location in the city centre does have many advantages for our guests; however, external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. We do have a selection of room types available which face on to our courtyard car park. These rooms can be quieter as they do not face directly onto the road and may be available on request. The duty manager is always available to respond to any such requests.

As you have mentioned, we do advertise a 19 space car park. Our spaces are allocated on a first come first served basis at an additional charge of £10.00 for 24 hours which we feel is good value for the convenience of a city centre car park. Should you arrive at the hotel and the car park is full, our Reception team are always on hand to store your luggage whilst another city centre car park is located.

On your next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact the team here direct, who I am confident would help to find the room to best suit your requirements. The Reception team always try their best to adhere to any requests for quieter rooms and have excellent product knowledge to be able to suggest rooms which are more spacious and better suited to your needs.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I went today for Sunday Lunch it was awful the cutlery was dirty on the table, the staff were very slow and the food was shocking, very small portions and the main beef dinner was shocking the beef was red and undercooked and the vegetables were cold it took a while for them to serve us the beef dinner. my fiancee felt ill after having his Sunday lunch wont go back here again. I recommend to other travellers not to go for Sunday lunch.

1  Thank sharyn t

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied when joining us for Sunday Lunch.

Our Sunday Lunch offering has proven to be very popular with some excellent feedback received this year so far. I was surprised to note that you found the cutlery to be dirty and the team to be slow. Please accept my apologies for this and be assured that this is not the norm by any means. We have a very experienced Sunday Lunch team whose attention to detail is excellent. As well as our Food and Beverage Manager and Supervisor, we also have a Duty Manager available during Sunday Lunch to assist with any such issues. I am confident had the team been made aware of these problems they would have rectified them immediately.

I was sorry to note that you found the portions to be small and the beef to be undercooked. We always cook our beef ‘medium’ which means that the beef may be pink. We understand that this may not be to everyone’s taste and our team would be more than happy to provide beef which is well done if advised.

I am sorry your fiancée wasn’t feeling too well. I can confirm that we served over 100 lunches on the date you joined us for Sunday Lunch and have not been made aware of any other complaints of illness.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

stayed here sunday 4th may from the moment you walk in to the hotel to the time you leave nothing is to much for all the staff at the hotel very courteous and considerate. it is a very impressive building from the outside and in. we stayed in a king room on top floor and it was of an excellent standard the king bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in and the room was furnished to a very high standard flat screen television with plenty of channels to choose from including music ones.the bathroom was spotless with the option of a shower or bath and all the toiletries supplied were excellent.the location of the hotel is second to none only a few minutes walk for all that Newcastle has to offer and right across the road from the metro and central railway station. hope to be back soon thanks to all at the thistle

Room Tip: I would say top floors are much quieter facing on to the station
1  Thank pmurphy69

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read such a positive review of our hotel and that you would wish to return on your next visit to Newcastle.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. The team here at The County work hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and that they would wish to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community and please be assured that I will personally pass on your comments to the team who I am sure will be delighted to read them!

It is great to note that you found our location to be convenient and your room to be furnished to a very high standard, most importantly, with a very comfortable bed! I hope you had a great night sleep! Such positive feedback is always great to hear.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.