County Hotel
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$104
US$101
  • Breakfast included
US$96
  • Pool
Village Hotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$66
Novotel Newcastle Airport(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$68
Novotel
  • Pool
US$95
US$88
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$252
US$123
Agoda.com
US$99
US$90
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$125
US$122
Travelocity
easyHotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$52
Official Hotel Site
    1,165 results
    All reviewsdirectly opposite the stationtrain stationcar parkstreet noiseexcellent locationcity centrebit datedstayed for one nightbuffet stylehotel barbars and restaurantsthistlenewcastleearplugsnightlifehairdryerarena
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is ideally located next to the central railway station and close to both shopping centres and the theatre district. The staff were friendly and check in was extremely quick and easy. The room was a touch small but was adequate. The bathroom was in contrast to this , absolutely huge. Overall a nice stay , parking was reasonable, although limited in capacity an enjoyable stay and I would use this hotel again.

Stayed: May 2014
    2  Thank Ian1416
    GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, found all staff to be helpful and friendly and that you would choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Newcastle.

I have to agree with you, we are in a great location. Not only do we have excellent transport links being directly opposite Newcastle Central station and Metro station but we are also within walking distance of all that Newcastle has to offer. Should you being visiting St James Park, Metro Radio Arena, Theatre Royal or Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants, all venues are just a short walk from The County.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel staff were excellent in attitude and service. The room was clean, comfortable, and convenient. I had a problem with my booking, not the hotel's fault, which reception staff handled calmly and reassuringly. Breakfast was excellent and staff were most helpful. The only thing I would have welcomed was some help with my luggage. I had to haul some heavy luggage to reception up several stairs. I had to repeat the lifting up two short flights of steps to my second floor room. I'm in my 70s so some assistance would have been appreciated. Good value in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not face Neville Street.
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
    1  Thank TravelTre

Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff you encountered to be friendly, helpful and attentive. We regularly receive great feedback about the team and I appreciate you sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast offering. Our breakfast is very popular with our guests. Whether you are looking for a light bite of pastries and fruit or a hearty Full English breakfast, our buffet breakfast offers something for everyone!

Please be assured that there is always a member of the team on hand to assist with luggage to and from your room upon request. Our main entrance does have a few steps up into Reception; however, there is a bell at the main entrance to call for assistance if required. Should you prefer, there is also ramp access via our RendezVous bar at the side of the hotel or alternatively via our car park entrance at the rear of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I was delighted to note that you found The County to be great value for money and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Bit confused by the review a few down. We visited today for Sunday Lunch (on a cracking Living Social Deal). Both had a very nice ham terrine with pease pudding followed by roast beef and a spicy roast haddock dish. Enjoyed a very nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and couldn't resist desserts (very nice toffee sundae and even better chocolate orange brownie).

Staff were very efficient and, when there was a very slight delay between mains and desserts, they came to acknowledge there had been a slight delay and apologised.

All served in a very nice (and full) function room overlooking Central Station. And instead of mints with the bill we had individually wrapped jelly belly beans. All good!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to us at Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was delighted to read that you joined us for Sunday Lunch in our magnificent Mozart Suite and that you found the team here to be attentive and helpful. It is great to read such a positive review! The team here at The County work very hard to ensure all of our guests have a very enjoyable dining experience and as such would wish to return. Please be assured that your kind comments will be passed on to the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such great feedback about their efforts.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I do hope you will dine with us again in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff were very good, the surrounding very pleasant. However, as one who has good food at home, a disappointing meal for a renowned hotel. Beef a little tough to chew, vegetables bland. Sweet good. Noted this one the review card handed out with the bill.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

We have received some excellent feedback about our Sunday Lunch this year and I was surprised to note that you found the beef to be a little tough and the vegetables to be bland. Please be assured that your feedback has been communicated our Head Chef to investigate. I can confirm that the vast majority of guests who joined us for Sunday Lunch have given our team some very good feedback. Please accept my apologies that you found your meal to be disappointing. Our Food and Beverage Manager is always on hand during Sunday Lunch and I am confident had he been made aware of this issue, it would have been rectified immediately.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The positives about this hotel are the location and the staff. A better location is simply not possible, being right opposite the train station with very easy access to the metro (which connects to the airport) and the city center at walking distance. The staff (reception, cleaning and restaurant) has been very friendly and helpful on every interaction I had with them. In addition, the free wifi works well.

The rooms are quite small, though I suppose that is to be expected given the location. The window doesn't let in a lot of natural light (small window and facing a building) which gives a bit of a depressing atmosphere. On the other hand the curtains do not fully cover the window, so there is always some light coming in in the mornings. The window cannot easily be opened while there is also no airco. The bathroom is fine, although the water temperature for the shower sometimes fluctuates. The room room is quite noisy, with noise from both the corridor and outside being easily audible. It was not a problem for me because the neighbors were quiet when I asked them to, but it is not ideal for light sleepers.

Equipment present includes a safe, tea making set, an iron and a hairdryer. Unfortunately, the safe is just too small to easily fit in a 15" laptop. Just an inch/few cm more and it would have been much more useful. Unfortunately the room has no fridge, which is something I really miss. Also the supplies are a bit limited (four bags of tea in a two person room for example) and the supplies are not always replaced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
    1  Thank evdk

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments about our excellent location. Being directly opposite Newcastle Central Station and just a stones throw form all that Newcastle has to offer is a great advantage for our guests.

I was delighted to read your comments about the staff you encountered during your stay. The team here at The County work hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and would wish to return on their next visit to Newcastle.

I was sorry to learn that you found the room to be small and that you were disturbed by external noise. Being in the heart of the city does have many advantages; however, external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Please be assured that we do have a duty manager available 24 hours a day. Our duty managers are equipped to deal with any requests to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Should you require a quieter room, extra tea bags or assistance when opening the window, our duty manager is always on hand to help and can be contacted via Reception.