“Bit of a noisey location”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Nice and clean, good food and really pleasant staff.

Lot of building work going on at the moment so access is a little impeded.

The main drawback was the late nice music and a really heavy bass from various nightclubs, and I was on the top floor.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing away from the station
1  Thank Lawrie_Phipps
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was sorry to learn that you were disturbed by noise from external venues during your stay. Here at The County, our Night Management team work very hard to ensure our guests have a great night sleep. Being in the heart of the city does have many advantages for our guests however; external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. Please be assured that we do have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day to assist as far as possible with any such issues. Although all of our rooms have secondary glazing to ensure our guests are disturbed as little as possible by the noise of a busy city centre, we do have a selection of rooms at the rear of the building overlooking our courtyard car park which may be available upon request. These rooms do tend to be quieter as they do not face directly onto the road. On your next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team prior to your arrival who will always try their best to help with any room requests.

On a more positive note I was delighted to note that you found The County to have a high standard of cleanliness and that you found the food in our RendezVous Restaurant to be good. Our Head Chef and his team work hard to ensure they deliver a high quality menu using the finest of ingredients without compromising on value. I am sure the team will be delighted to read your great comments.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My friend and I went to visit Newcastle for a weekend as we had never been. Christoper who was on reception when we checked in was very helpful. He pointed out some sights to see, he gave two very fab recommendations for places to eat and was overall friendly and engaging. I appreciate good customer service and manners. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was just right (not too soft, not too hard). The shower was great. I love a power shower.

We were on the second floor and there was a wedding reception on the first which sounded like they were having the most amazing time. We heard the fun from our room and were hoping it was a party we could join. Unfortunately when we went searching we realised it was the reception. The staff were gracious and offered to move us if it was too much noise. We were actually just enjoying the music but for travellers, depending on what you look for, it is something of which to be mindful.

I enjoyed my stay at the Thistle and would definitely return.

The location was also amazing. It is exactly across the street for Newcastle Central. It is also a 5 minute walk to the Diamond mile where there are many clubs/bars. It's another 5 minutes to the 24 McDonalds. Great location!

Room Tip: Be mindful that if you're on the second floor you'll be able to hear any parties in the func...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmeriTraveller

Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the customer service you received from the team to be excellent. In particular Christopher on Reception, who I am sure, will be delighted to read your great comments.

It is great to note that you found our location to be convenient. Being directly across from Newcastle Central Station and Metro Station and just a short walk from the national bus station is a great advantage for our guests. Our location also means there are no onward taxi fares once you are in the city as we are only a short walk from Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants as well as the main shopping area.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

2 nights on business - couldn't get into usual hotel so went for Thistle and will deff go back.

Very easy to find - directly opposite station. I had a good double room on 5th floor - was a bit worried about noise as it was at the front but no probe. Great breakfast but tables really small making it cosy for 2 and a bit of a juggling act with toast, coffee etc !.

Car park which is great for a city centre hotel but beware - a little tight getting in and out !

Great pub 2 mins walk away (The Town Wall) - really nice setting and food.

Deff my hotel of choice for my next trip.

1  Thank fabatfiftyCambs

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read such a positive review of our hotel! It is great to read that although this was not the hotel you would normally stay in, you would wish to return on your next visit to Newcastle. This kind of feedback is always great to read!

I was pleased to note that you found the location and onsite car park to be convenient and that you joined us in the morning for a great breakfast.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business for one night. Check in was busy so I had to wait for a while. I had a small double room which was plenty big enough for one person for a single night but I think it would be a squeeze for two people or longer stays. The decor is a bit dated but the room had everything I needed and was fairly clean. The hotel has free WiFi which was useful. I didn't eat in the hotel on this occasion as I opted to try one of the many restaurants in the town centre nearby. I was woken up by someone repeatedly slamming a door in the corridor. Not the hotels fault I know but the room doors could be more soundproofed as the bed is right by the door. Breakfast was fine, a good selection of continental and cooked. The location of the hotel is ideal, close to the town centre and you couldn't get any closer to the main station. All in all a decent hotel for a short stop off when travelling by train.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kerry P

Dear Reviewer,

I was pleased to note that you found your room to be of a high standard of cleanliness and was well equipped with everything you needed for a comfortable stay. Our small double rooms are great as a base whilst exploring this city and I was pleased to read that you found the room to be big enough for your stay.

I was delighted to read that you made use of the complimentary Wi-Fi during your stay and that you found our location to be convenient and the breakfast to be good. Our excellent breakfast offering has proven to be very popular with our guests and we regularly receive great feedback about it.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed overnight whilst on business. My small double room was just that, with the TV perched over the end of my bed. However, the hotel itself was very nice, the breakfast was very good and the staff were very polite. The location of the County is ideal, being opposite the central rail station, with the Metro station just around the corner and the City centre very close by.

1  Thank DaveW321
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the breakfast to be good and the team to be friendly and helpful. It is great to read that you found our location to be convenient with excellent transport links.

The County was built in the late 1800’s and as such, our rooms do vary in shape and size from compact and cosy small double rooms to large and lofty executive double rooms. Our small double rooms are perfect as a base whilst exploring the city as they are some of the smallest in the property. Should you be looking for a room with more space, our standard double rooms may be better suited to your needs. On your next visit to Newcastle, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team direct who I am confident would be able to find the perfect room to suit your requirements.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I spent a night at the Thistle in May when I went to Newcastle for work. Enjoyed my stay. The room was good, staff were very helpful and the buffet breakfast was delicious. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank S_Z78

Dear Reviewer,

Here at The County, we take all customer feedback seriously and are very grateful for positive reviews such as this one. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and our breakfast offering. Please be assured that your review will be communicated to the team who I am confident will be delighted to read it.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

After a long day on the road, we enjoyed great service and good rooms. The location is good for walking into town as well. Breakfast was well done and served promptly too. If you're looking for a nice place for dinner and don't want to eat in, ask the people at the reception desk!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael C

Dear Reviewer,

It was great to note that after a long journey, the team here were accommodating and you experienced the great service we work so hard to deliver. I have to agree with you, we are in an excellent location for exploring our wonderful city and seeing all that Newcastle has to offer. Being in short walking distance of the main shopping area and Newcastle’s extensive array of bars and restaurants is a great advantage for our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast offering. We regularly receive excellent feedback about our breakfast for the high quality of ingredients delivered with exceptional service.