“Trying something different from Mal Malmasion”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Trying something different from Mal Malmasion”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Reception area is very inviting and colorful with very helpful and friendly staff. Check in was quick and easy. The quality of the reception and bar area is very good indeed.

We were upgraded to a balcony room and I have to say they are rather good. (If I had one niggle it was the ashtray was not emptied on the balcony which might bother some non smokers but as a smoker I was not bothered by that). Complimentary mini bar was a nice touch and the decor within the rooms was good. The bathroom was good, plenty of hot water and was rather taken by the speaker system in the bathroom allowing you to listen to tv / music whilst showering.

Had lunch in the bar and the food was excellent in every aspect as were the drinks (Breakfast Martini are simply devine as was the house burger and ploughmans lunch).

Dinnner was again excellent as well as the service. (Quite liked being shown the specials with images of them on the IPAD :) ) Staff were excellent and helpful.

Breakfast was a little different to other hotels we have stayed at in that the cooked breakfast was self serve which meant if you liked you bacon you could get as much as you liked or any other item for that matter.

Overall I'm a big fan of Mal Masion in newcastle and I have to say Indigio comes in at level pegging and I would be hard pushed to choose between them.

Overall I would definately stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hi Michaelh807

Thank you so much for your kind comments surrounding your stay at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

We are delighted that you choose to have an experience at Hotel Indigo Newcastle and we hope that when your next visiting the city, Hotel Indigo Newcastle will be your first choice.

I have informed our Housekeeping Manager regarding the ashtray, and I can assure you that this has been rectified immediately.

It seems you enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner with us and we are delighted that your experience was a positive one.

Why not contact the hotel direct to reserve your next boutique bedroom, we would love to hear from you again.

Also don't forget to like us on Facebook and Twitter for our special offers and promotions.

Front of House Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
birmingham
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights in June as a single female on business travel. Good location, a few mins walk from Newcastle rail station ( and therefore Metro from airport) and an easy trip with a wheelie bag. OK check in . Room ok - would have liked it to be cooler but not a major problem. Only compliant was with housekeeping who had not stocked my complimentary fridge ( but how would I know that until they did a better job the following day?), left some water stains on the surface in the bathroom and disposed of my unfinished wine. As the latter was an issue I contacted the front of house manager who was excellent and replaced the lost glass. By this time the fridge wasn't working and he offered to replace it but as I was off out it was not needed. Breakfast was included in the price of my stay but I was not clear if the cooked selection was avaiable and so opted for just the continental which was ok. Service was very good and the helpful staff gave me a coffee to wait as I arrived 15 mins before breakfast service started. Overall a good stay despite the hiccups. Service very good for breakfast. Check out was pressured and could have done with more staff for benefit of both staff and customers.

Room Tip: Room 329 is spacious but view of neighbouring buildings and pigeons!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BirminghamMouse
Hi BirminghamMouse

Thank you for taking the team to provide us with some feedback surrounding your stay at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with housekeeping and I have informed our Housekeeping Manager of your feedback.

I remember you very well and hope you enjoyed that glass of chilled wine and thank you personally for those kind comments.

Breakfast was included in your stay and did include the full English breakfast; I have been informed by the Food and Beverage Manager that this will now be explained when arriving at the Restaurant. Maybe the next time you stay with us, you can indulge in some hot locally sourced breakfast produce.

Your comments surrounding check out have been noted and action has been taken to ensure more team members are available for check out.

We thank you once again for your feedback and can't wait to see you again...why not book direct by giving Laura or Amy a call, who will be more than happy to input your reservation for you.

Take Care

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The reception staff overcompensate their welcome which is annoyingly patronising. The 2 barmen serving cocktails were useless. We had 7 different cocktails a Bellini a liquorice allsort and some classics one being a classic Champagne cocktail which was first service to us a Kir Royal and replaced with the worst version I've ever tasted. This shower need some serious training, embarrassing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thefooddood
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Hi Dogsheep,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about Hotel Indigo Newcastle.
As a brand new hotel, we welcome all feedback in order for us to improve on the product as well as the service. The Hotel Indigo brand is a brand which allows each property to be individual in its service factors and offering of food and beverage. We are disappointed that you did not have the great experience we would have liked, however we appreciate all of your comments and have implemented strategies of improvement.

Front of House Manager for Hotel Indigo Newcastle
London
Reviewed 23 June 2012

stayed here as heard was brand new and to be honest was quite excited after visiting liverpool and staying in an indigo too which was great! newcastle indigo wasnt the same, it felt odd from the minute i stepped in. its located behind a concert hall, i.e loud bands and big lorries and tour buses parked on street in front. no one told me about parking prices which were near £20 per night. Anyway hotel reception seemed nice, check in was difficult/awkward either lack of training or severe arrogance. got lift to my room. Room was really nicely done out but i felt like i was staying in new york, room was cramped/small, wooden floor felt like it hadnt been swept ...bed was comfortable however. bathroom was nice, light and airey. met a friend and had dinner in hotel restaurant. YIKES!! pricey!!!. felt like a breakfast room not a posh eatery. the open kitchen kind of worked against as made it feel like canteen and could hear either chef or staff talking loud about their shifts etc.

room was cleaned on second night, did not eat in hotel again but went to Babacho which was ok

some of the staff on reception in evening were very good and helped us by showing us some cool bars, one i liked nearby was town wall, very local feel to it!

for price i paid i will think twice before i come back, i expect to feel my room is clean when i stay no matter what price i pay. also i expect a bigger room when i stay especially outside capital cities

did not have breakfast on either days

used small gym, served its purpose

used ipad in the bar and net was fast - staff here were very good

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Edshek
Hi Edshek

Thank you so much for visiting Tripadvisor and providing us with some feedback.

We are disappointed to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. The Hotel Indigo brand is a brand which allows each property to be individual in its location, service factors and offering of food and beverage.

Hotel Indigo Newcastle is located on Fenkle Street which is approximately 5 minutes’ walk away from Newcastle City Centre and is situated in Grainger Town. The O2 academy is 1 minute walk away from the hotel; however our rooms have been fitted with strong glazing as a sound proof. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you during your stay with us.

I can confirm that the car parking is based on a tariff which is very competitive with the other alternatives in the City Centre and is £12 for an overnight stay.

I appreciate your comments surrounding the front desk staff, however considering the hotel was only open 4 weeks prior to your review, I have to admit the team are still going through extensive training, which at times can be on the job. I hope you agree, that in order for the service to be 100%, training needs to take place, however I apologise if you feel as though some staff appeared to be 'arrogant.' This has been noted and I will be carrying out further observations of the Front Desk team to ensure this is not the case.

I have discussed your comments with the Housekeeping Manager and this has been raised at our departmental meeting. The hotel restaurant is a Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill and offers a wide range of options. The restaurant has striking images of Marco Pierre White himself as well as an open kitchen which allows for our guests to be part of an outstanding dining experience. Comments surrounding staff discussing their shifts have been passed on to the Executive Head Chef and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your feedback and thank you for your comments. We are striving to become one of the best hotels in Newcastle City Centre and welcome all feedback to improve that guest experience.

Cumbria
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Was pleased with my one nights stay at the hotel a few days ago. Everything was sparkling clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable, nice toiletries in the bathroom and was very happy with the free mini bar - although it has no alcohol in it, it was nice to be able to have a soft drink and snack without a charge! The air con did seem to be making lots of strange noises (even when knocked off), luckily I'm a deep sleeper so this didn't bother me but I could see it being an issue for other people. When booking the hotel I paid a little extra for the breakfast. I enjoyed it but if you haven't already paid for it in the price of your booking then I wouldn't recommend spending £16 on it! It was self service, hot and cold selection - although on the hot section no eggs!? Also the juice wasn't available for you to help yourself to, waiters bring it round and we had a good wait for it! But I would definitely still stay here again, great location just over the road from the train station and I would recommend Hotel Indigo over Malmaison where I have stayed a few times.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Hi BeachQueenUK

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform ourselves and other travellers of your experience at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Hotel Indigo Newcastle is a brand new, boutique style hotel, based in the City Centre, offering one of the best guest experiences in the City. We are delighted that you had a good experience with us. Why not upgrade to a Balcony Executive Room on your next visit, you will benefit from a mini bar which has complimentary alcohol as well as those snacks.

I can confirm that our maintenance team have carried out a range of tests, and the issue with the air conditioning has been rectified.

After speaking with George Liddle our Food and Beverage Manager, I can confirm that your comments have been actioned and the selections of juices are now available for our guests to help themselves.

We really can't wait to welcome you again to Hotel Indigo Newcastle, why not book with us direct by speaking to Laura or Amy in Reservations who will be more than happy to make that reservation for you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This is a great location for getting around town on foot. The bedrooms are nicely fitted out with ironing board, a good hair dryer and complimentary mini bar. The beds are lovely and comfortable and the linen is good quality. The bathroom has good quality fittings, and a bathrobe. The staff were just brilliant, couldn't do enough for you. So friendly and helpful. A really lovely experience, nothing was too much bother for them. I would definitely recommend this and the next time I'm I'm Newcastle I will be staying there.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Hi Juneszucs

On behalf of all of the family at Hotel Indigo Newcastle....thank you so much for your kind comments.

I have passed on your review to all of the team who are delighted and we are so pleased you had a great stay with us.

We can't wait to welcome you back to Hotel Indigo Newcastle very soon.

Thank You, your time spent doing a review is much appreciated by everyone here!

Cork
Reviewed 21 June 2012

With arrival to Hotel indigo my first impressions were good; I was greeted by friendly staff in a new hotel which was bright, modern yet comfortable.

The bedroom followed the same lines with added touches that I wasn’t expecting for a reasonably priced hotel. Bath robes, slippers, complementary soft drinks and snacks. The bed linen was good quality and the beds were very comfortable. The room was equipped with a good quality iron and ironing board and impressive hairdryer. No fault could be found with the bedroom.

The bathroom was modern and had a magnifying mirror, waterfall shower with good pressure. Unluckily there was an issue with the temperature of the shower. I reported the issue and within minutes someone arrived to examine it. Unfortunately it could not be fixed and we were given a key for the room beside us and were told to make full use of both rooms and the staff was genuinely apologetic for the inconvenience. The matter was dealt with professionally and quickly.

The breakfast was had a good selection of hot and cold buffet. With cheeses, cold meats, yogurts, fruit, fresh pastries and the normal fry style hot buffet. As we chatted after breakfast preparations were taking place for the lunch service. I noticed the hotel manager inspecting the tables and instructed a member of staff to re-set one table as the table cloth was too creased. Possibly a little bit over the top regarding attention to detail yet all the staff showed a keen interest.

We did not dine in the restaurant and only had wine in the bar which was accompanied by a little platter of snacks. Nice touch.

On check out we received a generous reduction in the charge due the inconvenience with the shower. I would definitely stay here again if visiting Newcastle and this was the most reasonably priced hotel that I looked at and was more central that I had expected. With walking distance to the train station (2 mins) shopping and night life (less than 5 mins).

Hopefully the standard remains the same for my next visit!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Hi GlobalTrotter1

Thank you for your kind comments surrounding Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Unfortunately you did experience one of the teething problems we had with one of our showers and I am pleased that my colleagues were able to rectify the issue with little disruption.

I am delighted that you accepted our apology on check out and I can inform you that the issue you experienced has now been rectified by our maintenance team.

You have put a smile on all of our faces at Hotel Indigo Newcastle with your review and we can't wait to see you again very soon.