“Nice hotel but has a few issues...”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but has a few issues...”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our first stay at this new hotel and like all "new" hotels it was clean and tidy (with the hint of smelling like new carpet and paint in the air).
I decided to book 3 nights here after reading some reviews and getting little frustrated with our usual location in Newcastle (The Hilton)
Keeping in mind that the hotel is new and is still at the stage where staff have mixed abilities the experience can swing wildly between exceptional and average. Reception was very nice and very efficient – on each occasion we had interaction they were fast and efficient and really made you feel welcome.
The hotel itself –
We had already read about the lack of baths in the rooms and understand this is a conscious design decision. It is frustrating that the rooms seem to have more than enough space for a bath (its quite a large shower) and the choice has been made to install a “rain” shower. The Shower looks nice but is a huge disappointment – in fact rain falls faster than this shower so it leaves you feeling cheated out of a good experience. – I could have forgiven the lack of bath a little more if the shower had been of decent quality.
The Rooms are a little on the small side (we had room 424) and it did feel a little tight – It did at times feel a little claustrophobic – The addition of the balcony and large sliding door made it feel airy but if you are not in a balcony room you may feel the rooms are small.
The Balcony was nice but not private as its one long balcony with glass partitions – so you can see along all the other balconies and hear all the chatting – Smoking is allowed on the balconies which could lead to some unpleasant smell if any of the people on the row of balconies are smoking outside (which seems to be encouraged by the ashtrays outside) – We paid extra for the balcony room but British weather got in the way of its use – its probably not worth the extra unless you get a chance to use it extensively.
Breakfast was an odd affair – it would appear on a weekday its served at your table but at weekends it is a “buffet” style, help yourself situation. When done as table service it was really nice – hot and fresh with a good choice of egg styles cooked to order. The Buffet style (which seems to be in place to handle an increased volume of people at weekends) just didn’t work – The Q was not really clear so people mulled around the serving area and the change from service to help yourself confused some people – the food was nowhere near as fresh on the buffet style and took equally long as the eggs still needed to be cooked to peoples requirement’s. I would suggest they should just stick to waiter service and get it slicker. Easy enough staff around to handle this but not enough thought has gone into making it happen.
Some small issues with the room – Our room had a blind completely missing from the bathroom (reported but nothing happened) – they meant we had light streaming in from 6am and nothing we could do about it.
Coffee facilities stored in the cupboard and no socket so you have to physically move the tray out to use it (I can understand why this is the case as you don’t want a kettle left boiling in a closed cupboard that’s why other hotels have learnt to put the tray in the open, just bad design.
The shaver socket (which I bet is more used for electric toothbrushes than shavers) turns off when the light is off so – any toothbrush cannot charge without the light on. Again, lack of thought in relation to detail.
The TV is a complicated beast – not rocket science but just not intuitive enough. – I don’t want to have to learn how to use a hotel TV I just want it to work.

Plenty of people dining at MPW restaurant in the hotel - I have dined at a few of this type of franchised eateries and had mixed results – just remember it’s a paid for branding and guidance from the chef so results can vary.

Some door banging in the dead of night due to a door closing device not fitted to the stair well on level 4 (which the staff use) - they just need to get this sorted as every time someone went through the door it shook the room. for that reason stay away from rooms near the stairs. The lifts are also located in the same area and beep loudly 2 or 3 times whenever they appear on the floor. keep away if you can from the rooms close to this.

And finally - Air con in room was some of the most noisy i have had, It seemed to cycle through fan noises then drainage noises and sqeeks and rattles. - Can be annoying if you are a light sleeper.

Overall – The staff are new and learning so as long as they keep improving you will have a great people experience. The hotel is probably not one to stay more than 2 nights especially if you want the flexibility of a bath during your stay. Really central location but the parking is £12 a day, you can get cheaper nearby but as a paying guest I would have expected a better parking deal (or a weekend 2 or 3 day rate to soften the price)
I would go back again as hopefully some of the issues above can be resolved. Look out for deals as at full rack rate its an expensive option.

Room Tip: Balcony only worth it in good weather / watch out for smokers on the balcony as its all open so you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon_Petty
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Dear Jon P,

Thank you for leaving us such a detailed review of your stay. I am glad that our you found our staff service accommodating. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to the room accommodations, amenities and noise from our other guests and air conditioning unit. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. Your valuable feedback will help us in accomplishing this.

Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
London
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My partner and I stayed her in July for two nights to go to St.James Park to watch a couple of Olympic football matches. We used the car park which is £12.00 for 24 hours.

On arrival, the reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and the decor looked very modern and trendy.
We had a standard room, which was well fitted and modern. There was a kindle in the wardrobe and a the bathroom was well equipped withe toiletries. Free wifi was very useful and there was also a complimentary mini-bar with water, crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks which was re-stocked throughout the weekend. The bed was super comfy and I slept well, although it was a weekend in Newcastle! Maybe this was due to our room overlooking the car park, so we weren't at the front of the hotel.
There was a nice selection at breakfast and it was cooked to order on the Monday morning, as it's quieter during the week.
Had some really good cocktails in the bar which were really well mixed.
I would stay here again when in Newcastle!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Hi Lucianlounger,

Wow! We just love the fact that you “love hotel Indigo” and WE love your title! Thank you so much for showing your appreciation by giving us a great comment like this. Please hurry back and see us again, there plenty more to do in Newcastle besides the Football, just ask at the front desk and they will give you all sorts of tips for a great day out.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The hotel is in a quiet street in Newcastle. Parking on the street in Newcastle in the controlled zones applies seven days a week, but we did find convenient parking near the hotel. I understand there is hotel available parking at £12 for overnight. The reception is modern, light and airy, and check in was friendly. The first room we had was airy and light. Indigo provide refreshments at no extra charge in the refrigerator, but I noted there were no snacks. On request, these were sent up to the room because there should have been some provided. The wifi is free and very good. As with other Indigos we've stayed at there is no bath but a rain shower and a powerful hand held shower. The bed was comfortable and the sleep was relatively peaceful. There was a good buffet breakfast with a choice of hot and cold foods, although the range was a little limited. As a platinum club member I was not upgraded (When I asked why of the Duty Manager I was advised that all the superior rooms had been booked by paying guests). However, the offers for Platinum club members are in my view derisory. With one exception (a free magazine from a limited and to me useless choice) the choice involved the expenditure of more money. Upon request I was offered a free bottle of beer (one bottle even though there were two guests!). For the second night (a Sunday) I requested an upgrade and we were given a room with a balcony and a wider choice of complimentary drinks. But the outside table had no glass top, making the balancing of drinks problematic. This could have been checked before allocating. The breakfast on the second day was cooked to order, and even though I only wanted the non meat items on the cooked breakfast I was sent only one mushroom top, half a cooked tomato, two over cooked fried eggs, one hash brown and a small portion of baked beans (which they originally forgot). All the staff were courteous and helpful, but it does need to improve.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marks069
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Hi Marks069

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your experience at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed the check and service received from our very talented and friendly staff here at the hotel. Since your comments, I have since met with our Housekeeping manager and Food & Beverage manager to discuss the issue you brought to our attention with your comments on this website and we have since implemented corrective coaching to all staff involved. I am also very happy to learn that you enjoyed your complimentary Platinum club member gifts, and as a Priority club Platinum member, I thank you very much for choosing our hotel and would love to see you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Front of House Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My friends and I had a truly fantastic stay at the Newcastle Hotel Indigo not last weekend but the one before.

Location is super central, just minutes walking distance from the train station and the shops and restaurants and bars.

From the very beginning when we made contact with the hotel they all went out their way to assist and make the whole experience a great one.

When booking these things for others there is always the worry of getting the right place at the right cost and then the worry that everyone will be happy.

To say that both my friends were pleased is an understatement. One of them said it was the best hotel they had ever stayed in. The other saying we had received a 5 Star service.

The staff were attentive and genuinely friendly they made our time there such a pleasure we were sad to leave.

Both professional and thoughtful but most of all they all gave a very personal touch.

It is important that you all understand what a difference they made to our stay. We were made very welcome and felt safe and treated like valued customers.

We gladly recommend the Newcastle Hotel Indigo and the Indigo chain to others. Experience it for yourselves!

Like I said sometimes we all just need a break from the stresses of life and to be looked after and pampered and all in luxurious surroundings, what more can a girl ask for?!

Room Tip: We had interconnecting rooms and they were both fab!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hi Catherine H,

Many, many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely comment about us. We love comments like this and it puts a huge smile on our staff’s faces when we read them out. Please hurry back, why not follow us on twitter for now?

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Great hotel, I found the location fantastic, 5 mins walk from the station and 5 mins walk to all shops & bars. Even though this has a great location it wasn't noisy at all and this was a saturday night.

Staff where polite, The rooms are modern and the bar was nice and plush, drink prices where steep to be expected and served nice.

All in all would stay again at the right price.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Copleycop,

Thank you for your great comments, we would love to see you again.
Are you our friend on Facebook yet? Check us out if you haven’t already.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Arrived for a night away before visiting family in Scotland. Short walk from the station and in an area I'd describe as hidden but most gems tend to be hidden in the city.

The reception staff were the best ones I've ever spoken to. Me and my wife now retired love speaking to people and Sian and Markus were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Told us where to go for a light lunch and even got a complimentary map.

The bedroom was stunning, everything you could want and more. Clean, comfortable and bright. I know it's a new build but the attention to detail could be seen throughout.

We had some drinks in the bar, felt a bit pushed into ordering large ones but I suppose we were on our holidays!

Checkout was so simple, reception staff smiling and wished us a safe onward journey. My wife and I were asked if we needed someone to carry our bags to the station....that has to be 5 star service. I think they noticed my wife going a bit over the top with the cash in fenwicks.

We will be back and are even thinking of making it a more regular trip. As they say diamonds are forever and this hotel will be there for a long time with the service.

• Stayed August 2012
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Hi Otter434,

What an absolutely amazing title! We couldn’t put it better ourselves, thank you so much for writing such a fantastic comment about us. Why not follow us on Twitter or become friends with us on Facebook?

See you again soon…

Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, rooms very clean and pleasing to the eye. Room facilities were great, complementary mini bar inc crisps, water, pop, chocolate. Bathroom very stylish and clean. staff were really pleasant, and helpful at reception. We dined in the marco Pierre white restaurant, very nice bit highly priced, but you get what you pay for! Breakfast was lovely £15ish per person for Buffet style! Overall very nice stay! Thanks

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Bashley – 1

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about us. We would love to see you again.