“One night stay”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“One night stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Stayed here for one night on the 22nd December with my boyfriend for his birthday.

From start to finish the hotel is absolutly fantastic, i live in the northeast and have found this hotel to be a hidden gem. The rooms are absolutly lovely very spacious and clean, free mini bar is a good plus point and the free wifi throughout the hotel is also great. The room has a few good modcons which made my boyfriend very happy e.g. you can play you ipod/smart phone through the tv in your room as there is a port next to the dressing table to plug it in, also there is an ipod docking station.

Bathroom is plush to say the least there is a little dial in the bathroom so you can listen to your tv or the music you are playing through the tv in the bathroom, i think this is a fantastic little gadget.

Breakfast was really nice deffinately worth booking Bed and Breakfast for value wise, staff in the restaurant are very attentive and kept topping up your juice when you were low. Food excellent quality.

Upon check in staff also very genuine and attentive Rachel checked us in (i think that was her name) and she was asking us about what our plans were ect, then later ordered us a taxi and just all the staff in general are genuine and had excellent customer service.

I will deffinately be booking up again and maybe even looking into visiiting one of the other hotels in the uk, its great value for everything you get in the hotel and i found it was much cheaper booking direct through their website. Cant wait to return :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Hello xtine252919,

Puts a smile on my face to read you had such a great Hotel Indigo experience, and plan to have more in the future! All of the gadgets are particular favourites of mine too.

Also the staff really appreciate your comments and I assure you these kind words will be followed through.

We can't wait to have you back, and remember you can also call us directly on 0191 300 9222 for great rates and anything you need to make your stay special for you :)

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Cambs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

There is nothing I can say to fault this hotel. It was spotless & very comfortable. The staff were friendly & helpful. The rooms a reasonable size. Free wifi all through the hotel. 2 minutes walk from the railway station & 5 minutes from the city centre shops & 10 minutes from St James's Park.
The only food we had, was the breakfast at the special rate of pre booking £12 each & it was worth that price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Hello KimCams,

Wow what a lovely review! We hope you and your family had a lovely stay and come back to us very soon.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for live updates and fun :)

Skipton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We decided to book the Hotel Indigo for a one night stay based on the good reviews we read on Tripadvisor and give this new brand a go. The hotel has some good points the staff are very friendly, the hotel is clean and the decor is nice (however not dissembler to an Ikea show-room), the free wifi, Aveda products in the bathroom are all pro’s. The location is very close to the Newcastle Central and the Grainger Town. Now the cons, upon check-in you are kindly invited to take anything from the complimentary minibar (1 can of diet coke, 1 can of Lemonade, a bottle of water and a kit-cat), slightly oversold and a bit of a gimmick. The bed even though it has more cushions then a dodgy DFS couch, it’s clear that their product development team has not slept a night in it, you are given 4 rock hard pillows unlike other chains (Marriott , Starwood and Hilton) which give a mix of hard and soft pillows and the sheets are heavily starched and even though they advertise that all the beds are king size, ours was definitely not, our bed was a 4-6 foot bed. When we addressed this with reception shortly after check-in and were informed by the receptionist she has been up to measure all of the beds, so that was that, that was me told. The air-con is extremely loud and sounds like load running water, so make sure to use the facilities before bed. Now to my main gripe each room has a cordless telephone that would remind you of one your Nana had back in the early 90's which is fine if it worked! Ours however was not charged and I managed to arrange a wake-up call via the speaker phone so when 8:30am came reception called 6 times without the ability to pick-up, what a joyless start to the day, please bring back the cord. I informed reception, reply, "cheers for letting us know!" Breakfast was fine, ordered the full English (Albino sausages and bacon, definitely worked asking for well cooked), the buffet of fruit and pastries is pretty average, Juices are doled out as if they are anticipating Vitamin C rationing. So there you have it, my take on the hotel Indigo, one sleepless night, I really did want another option to the usual favourites. Upon check-out I would have loved to have shared some of this in person, however was not asked how my stay was and I am sure they have more to think about. My tip would be make the most of Newcastle Bars and Clubs, get sloshed and the bed will seem like a cloud, don’t order a wake-up call and nip to a near-by café for Breakfast.

Room Tip: My tip would be make the most of Newcastle Bars and Clubs, get sloshed and the bed will seem like a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Hi Darach M

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your experience at Hotel Indigo Newcastle and Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the issues you experienced at the hotel individually:

With regards to your statement about an 'Ikea Showroom' I have to state that our guest bedrooms have been designed with quality finishes, including local neighbourhood features and fixtures.

Upon check in reception do inform all guests of a complimentary mini fridge, which contain a wide range of snacks and soft drinks, I apologise if this is misleading and you were under the impression that this was a minibar, however guests can upgrade to an executive suite where there is a complimentary mini bar with a wide range of alcoholic beverages, snacks and soft drinks.

Our pillows are feathered and our beds have a wide range of soft furnishings to make you feel at home, but also to make the room look more vibrant and individual. All of the guestrooms have either a king size bed or super king size bed. I apologise if the receptionist came across as being direct with their response.

Unfortunately we have suffered an issue with our air conditioning, however this has been dealt with by engineers from Sweden and they have been on site resolving the issues and all guest rooms will have brand new AC units by January 2013.

The cordless telephone has been designed to allow the business traveller to be mobile whilst on the phone, this allows them to use the telephone anywhere within the guest bedroom, whether this was at the desk, balcony or on the bed. I do apologise that the wakeup call was not input correctly and I have asked our maintenance manager to take a look into this and add instructions to the guest directory on how to operate this.

We have had a wide range of positive comments regarding our breakfast selection, however I apologise that this was not personally up to your standard. We use a wide range of locally sourced procedure and we have a wide range of juices available on the breakfast bar as well as food and beverage assistants offering table service with fresh juices.

I really do apologise that the receptionist did not ask how your stay was on check out, this is a very rare occasion that this has happened and I can assure you that I will be following this up with the front desk team.

I really do apologise for the experience you have had whilst staying with us at Hotel Indigo Newcastle and Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill. Our vision is to create Great Hotels, Guests Love, and unfortunately on this occasion we have not delivered this. As a brand new hotel, we appreciate all of our guest’s feedback so that we can improve our service and become an outstanding hotel in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I really do hope that you do return to the hotel in the near future, where you can experience outstanding service as well as be part of our Neighbourhood Story and experience.

Kindest Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

This hotel is excellent value for money. I have stayed at another Hotel Indigo in Canada and have become a fast fan of the hotel chain. The Newcastle one is well appointed, the breakfast which could be included in the rate, was great value for money. The staff were friendly and accommodating and there isn't really anything I can fault, especially for the cost. The location of the hotel is great if you need to be in central Newcastle, a quick walk from every major City Centre location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Kr3m3Puff,

Thank you so much for your lovely words. It's great to see when guests find we have real punch for pound, especially around the Christmas period when every penny counts!

We're so happy to be a part of the Global Indigo Experience you've had, come again very soon and take care.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

After checking in on the 31st December and staying until the 3rd January our stay was great from start to finish!
The rooms are very well designed and spotless. The free fast wi-fi was an unexpected bonus,
We had room service: the best creme brûlée I have ever tasted! Only downside ( very minor) is that the air conditioning can be a little noisy!
Service at reception and in the bar was faultless.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Emma M,

I am also a huge fan of our Cambridge Burnt Cream, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Looks like we had you partying with us over New Year's Eve, we hope you had as much fun as we did!

We Have taken on all of your comments about the room and appreciate the honesty; I can assure it is being attended to. Please come again soon and have an even more wonderful stay :)

All the best for the new year!

Timaru NZ

INCREDIBLE!!
The outside doesn't look like much but my gosh once you get inside you are in for a treat!

The rooms are stylised, beautiful and spacious with everything you could possibly need. Maybe it's because it's still reasonably new but everything was immaculate - no chips in the tiles, scrapes on the walls or wierd stains on the floor - this place is gorgeous. This is the first time I've stayed a hotel that actually looked like the hotel photos, I am genuinely impressed.

The gym, although small is adequate with new equipment and weights.
Carparking is a squish but is available at a standard charge per day.
Location is excellent, only a stonesthrow away from the shopping areas and a 10 minute stroll to the old town with all the historical sites.

The reception staff are by far the best I've known in a hotel, so friendly, helpful and knowledgable too. The restaurant and bar staff - courteous and pleasant without being overbearing.

And the steak! Oh my, if you are staying here, have a meal in the steakhouse, you won't be disappointed. (Read my other review for more details)

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone - business, couples, friends or solo travellers. Possibly not for young families as I think you might feel out of place and undercatered for.

Room Tip: Go for a continental breakfast where you can pick what ever you like or go off site - this is a &quo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Hello samsams,

Thank you so much for such a constructive and detailed review!! I remember the sheer excitement we had taking those photos, what an adreniline rush! The Indigo Vision is to keep things fresh. This not only keeps things interesting and current but makes maintaining the condition of furniture and other well used items a natural bonus of refreshing the Hotel every once in a while. Come back soon and you may find something different yourself :)

Its excellent to hear you made such use of the amenities, and that the staff could be so helpful with your experience of our Newcastle Neighbourhood.

We hope to see you again soon, take care!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This hotel is an excellent location. 2 minute walk from Central Station & only 5 minutes from some really great bars, clubs & The Quayside.
We stayed over New Year & were wellcomed by some really friendly reception staff. They offered us advice on where to go that evening & let us know of all the hotels entertainment for the evening.
Our room was absolutely spotless & very spacious. Such a modern feel with free wifi, an ipod docking station & the mini bar is a great touch! The bed was huge & very comfortable, a great nights sleep! The bathroom wasnt huge but the rainfall shower & the aveda products were fantastic.
We brought in the new year in the bar with other guests which had a great atmosphere. Music & dancing & the staff were chatting away & really enjoying themselves too!! The bar was pricey but we left & done our own thing after the bells. The staff were also kind enough to book us a taxi.
The next day were enjoyed a meal in the hotel restaurant. Prices are very high but for the standard of the food you do not mind for a treat on a weekend away.
We had a great time at this hotel & will definately be back!! Thoroughly enjoyed my new year in the toon!! Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Hello xLx11,

So glad you loved the Hotel! The location, the modern updates to a classic hotel room, and the bathroom amenities are all things we are so proud of. I'm so glad to hear you were with us over the New Years festivities also! The staff remember how lovely the atmosphere was too :)

The prices of the bar and restaurant are thoroughly considered based on the prices of competing hotels and restaurants in the city centre - but we really appreciate you treating yourself with us and can't wait to have you back!

All the best for 2013,