“Last minute night away, well worth it! ”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 hours before as a bank holiday treat. Took a while to find but that was our fault, centrally situated within the one way streets of the centre so had to go round a few times! Parking right next door. Says 12 pounds for 24 hours I believe, but once we got inside they said they would give us a chip in the morning to get out for free. Room was around 100 pounds with breakfast included. Sat down for a couple of wines to be told that it was 'fizz Friday' and bottles of champagne that usually cost around £50 were £20 each. This was a bonus! So we had 2 ;-) got a few nibbles to tied us over, then out for drinks. Sadly I didn't make much of a dent in the breakfast buffet as I was so hung over but it looked lovely, good quality and lots to choose from. The staff were very friendly and the young girl who kept topping up our drinks was lovely. Highly recommended and we will stay again soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi LouiseNA-UK

Thank you for this brilliant review.

I am so glad you enjoyed Fizz Friday.

We hope to see you again at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,305)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Here for a few nights on business . Ideally situated . Short walk from central station and city centre . Rooms clean and well dressed . Food good . Restaurant is MPW so busy . Good food and friendly bar . Staff helpful and friendly . Also big bonus for beer lover like me there is a Wetherspoons pub probably 100 metres away . Great pint of abbot Ale :-) . Would be happy to return in future .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi chillmiester

Thank you for this brilliant review!

Also thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We take pride in our customer service.

We hope to see you again at Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Indigo brand is a sister brand to Holiday Inn - so what's the difference?

The decor aims to be distinctive. In this case the rooms are beige (of course) and black with a splash of colour (which starts with a preview of the colour on the door to the room) plus a mural over the bed and wooden floor and some quirky furniture.
Other than that the room was neither large nor small and well equipped - including a fridge with complementary contents.
The bathroom has a big walk in shower with a large albeit rather feeble overhead shower and very clean.

This hotel also boast a Marco Pierre White Steakhouse restaurant. I was advised that a dinner reservation was not necessary but this wasn't great advice I think because the smallish restaurant was pretty busy between 7 and 8 on a Tuesday.
The dinner was definitely upmarket hotel without being ridiculously expensive (£35 for 2 course table d'hote, small glass of decent wine with 10% service automatically added).

Breakfast was by contrast was pretty standard hotel fare.

The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient - with a charming mix of Geordie and accents from foreign shores.

This hotel is very convenient for the central rail station - a few minutes walk crossing a couple of roads. Its situated next to the Assembly Rooms albeit the view from the rooms are of car parks at the back and cars on Fenkle Street at the front. However it wasn't noisy.
Given the location a 30 walk took in a couple of bridges including the Tyne Bridge. A round trip to the Baltic Centre would be more like an hour.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Hi Gaj94

Thank you for the brilliant review.

We hope you return to Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Operation Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband booked a stay in this hotel for my Birthday. We had a lunch in the Marco Pierre White restaurant with friends then had a few drinks in the bar. The service at the reception, bar and restaurant was amazing. The staff were very attentive and helpful. We ordered breakfast in our room and even got a call in the morning to say it was on it's way.
I was very impressed with the room and would recommend this hotel if you fancy a Newcastle hotel in a central location with wonderful food. The parking was £12 overnight which I thought was a little expensive, however it lasted until the following morning which was useful if you fancy a day of shopping.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Kings36

Thank you for this amazing review.

We hope you enjoyed your birthday.

Hope to see you again at Hotel Indigo Newcastle

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This cost a little more than I usually pay for hotels as I tend not to spend much time in the room but the location of this was spot on as I was going solo to a gig at The Academy and it is a two minute walk. The staff were great - genuinely polite and friendly (I am really irritated by fake enthusiasm in customer service) and although I didn't require any assistance I am sure they would have been helpful.
The room was large, as was the bed and the bathroom (without a bath) was also spacious. The shower was brilliant - definitely my favourite hotel shower ever and the anti fog mirror and the backlit shaving/make-up mirror very useful.
The complimentary snacks in the mini-bar went down very well after the gig but not generous if two are sharing (a pack of crisps, kitkat and two cans) maybe there is more if there is not a single occupant?
My room was overlooking the stage door of The Academy which was a bonus for me as I got a glimpse of the band I had seen, but the street was very noisy - I am a good sleeper but I was kept awake until around 3am by a deep bass/ club music sound.
Breakfast was really good - lots of coffee and perfect poached eggs.
Would absolutely stay again if I was treating myself

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hi Jooley13

Thank you so much for this brilliant review.

Apologies for the noise from the other venue. We are looking into this, but I hope this does not affect you from visiting us again.

We take pride in our customer service and we hope to see you again at the Hotel Indigo Newcastle.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 April 2014

10/04/14 - Arrived by train at Newcastle Central and hotel is approx. 3 mins easy walk away so off to a great start. Check in very pleasant both receptionists both very friendly, IHG rewards status acknowledged and bonus points/drink offered. Reception & bar all open plan andhad tastefully decorated and relaxed moderm look.

Room on 4th floor very although not the most spacious was very well decorated with feature wall architectural print and all furnishings in perfect condition and felt very cosy (Hotel Indigo Birmingham take note!). Well stocked mini-bar - all free of charge as is usual at all Hotel Indigos (Again their Birmingham outpost should follow Newcastle's example). Added bonus of spacious balcony with table and chairs.

Ordered room service, operator very cheery and order taken & delivered within 20 mins. Food perfect quantity & quality and very good value.

Breakfast next morning in MPW Restuarant could not be faulted although taken at 9.30, usually one of the busiest times, it was all very relaxed and the ideal way to start the day. Food again could not be faulted.

This is now my hotel of choice in Newcastle.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room, well worth the extra cost!!

Hi Edinburgh Traveller61

Thank you so much for this fantastic review.

I am so glad that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Indigo Newcastle and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a twin room, was quite roomy with a strange colour scheme, never had such a mix of colours in a room before. The bed's were fine and the bathrooms were spacious and clean. Would certainly stay again. Only small hitch with the room was the air-con whistled on and off, so i just turned it off. When returning to the hotel albeit quite late at night (2.30am), the couple in front went straight into the hotel, i however got a more thorough questioning/showing of the key and was even questioned as to where i was from quoting "can't really send you in a taxi back to there" because my voice was basically gone through illness, not quite sure i'd be trying to access a hotel to sleep in the landing! The couple in front of me were noticeably older but a recurring coincidence of being treated a little different because of my age!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Mark W, Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hi Sean T

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Hotel Indigo Newcastle and Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room we allocated for you and felt the room was spacious and clean.

With regards to the air conditioning, I have spoken with our Maintainence Engineer and he has rectified this issue, however please do accept my apology.

In terms of the issue with the night team and the questioning that you witnessed. Hotel Indigo Newcastle strives on creating a 'Great Hotel, Guests Love' and it isa priority of ours to ensure the health and safety of our guests is key. With regards to the couple which went straight past the night team prior to yourselves, this could have been because the couple were checked in by the night team or they had come across the couple previously, hence asking them again wouldn't have been neccessary.

It is hotel policy to ensure that all guests returning to the hotel are asked there name and this is the policy is all IHG Hotels. I can guarantee that the questioning had no connexion what so ever with your age .

I do hope that this has not put you off returning to Hotel Indigo Newcastle and Marco Pierre White in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kindest Regards,