“Indigo, but far from blue”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Reviewed 6 July 2014

When Mrs.Trouserpress and I checked in for our first-ever stay at Indigo on Friday 4th July I was resigned to another sleepless night in a Newcastle city-centre hotel. The reception desk is right next to the bar, and by 6pm it was busy and noisy. Once we had checked in (Mrs Trouserpress nodding and smiling at the Receptionist's friendly chat without really hearing any of it), we were very pleased by our room (204) despite its dismal view over a bookie's shop. It was very attractively decorated and furnished, and well equipped; the in-room fridge even containing a few complimentary snacks and soft drinks. Unusually for a hotel the free wifi worked consistently well. But best of all, after a pleasant evening in town, we both enjoyed a good night's sleep without any of the wooping and screaming from the streets below which often plagues city centre hotels at weekends. Breakfast was delicious too, freshly-prepared and cheerfully served.
So our first stay won't be our last, and I won't need to resort to the old Trouserpress trick of stuffing my ears with wet bog paper and jamming a pillow over my head to get some rest.

Room Tip: Don't expect a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Trouserpress

Many Thanks for you review of our hotel.

I am really glad that you got a good nights sleep at the hotel, after all that is our primary purpose.

The hotel Wi-Fi is has a great download speed at the hotel and is also free, and I am glad that you where able to make use of this facility.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Newcastle

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely trendy immaculate boutique hotel. Staff are all young, friendly and very helpful. The bar has a great buzz and the restaurant looks nice although we didn't eat there. The rooms are lovely and contemporary and nice walk in shower. Great place to stay, parking on site and good value. Well located for a good city exploration. Would stay there whenever in the city.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John L

Dear John L

Many Thanks for your review of our hotel. Its always pleasing to read that the staff are friendly and very helpful.

The Marco Pierre White restaurant that we have at the hotel does always have a great buzz, and also serves amazing food.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights for a course and also to catch up with friends. The decor in the room was garish for my taste but I can see that it was stylish. Room was spacious and comfortable. Lots of towels, a nice robe and fantastic Aveda toiletries. Nice to have the mineral water, soft drinks and snacks too. Room service dinner was good. Breakfast lovely although I preferred Friday to Saturday as I could order my choice on Saturday but was condemned to the buffet.
The location is absolutely perfect and the price I paid was very fair for is standard. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Claire_10_77

Many Thanks for review of our hotel.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would definitely stay with us again.

All off our rooms do come with large fluffy towels bathrobes and slippers and of course the Aveda toiletries.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights recently and was thoroughly pleased with the choice that I made. This hotel is in central Newcastle, 5 minutes' walk from the railway station and metro. It has a modern feel, with clean, spacious and airy public areas and modern bedrooms of a more "minimalist" style. The welcome is friendly and informal, and I never saw anyone having to queue for reception. I was not disturbed by any noise here.

The bedroom that I was allocated was clean and well-presented; there was good storage space (sometimes a problem even in higher end hotels) and a well-presented bathroom with excellent shower, decent towels and good quality toiletries. The minibar had a few items in it (soft drinks, chocolate and crisps) which are all free and re-stocked daily - a really nice touch. Wifi is also free - again, a refreshing change from many hotels that charge an exorbitant premium for internet access. It was a shame that the TV screen couldn't be moved, so it was only possible to watch whilst sitting on the bed.

I didn't eat in the restaurant or drink at the bar, so can't comment on these faciilities. I noticed that the chairs in reception were a bit worn, but that's really a minor point, otherwise I am struggling to find fault with this hotel.

Overall I can recommend for both business and pleasure. Thought has gone into this hotel, it's different from standard chain hotels, and touches such as free wifi and complimentary minibar set it apart from typical city centre hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Richard P

Many Thanks for you great review of our hotel.

I am really pleased that made use of our complimentary facilities such as the mini bar and Wi-Fi.

I do look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Friendly staff, funky colours, and expensive wallpaper. Bed comfy with nice pillows. Shower good. NO street noise to be heard in the mornings.Really can't think of anything more positive to say.

The 'lounge', if you can call it that, is just a bar fronting the restaurant area. The seating although designer in appearance is uncomfortable, and utterly useless for any sort of laptop work. The tables are low and small and will just about fit a pair of laptops along with a glass of water. The hotel would not doubt answer with 'theres a comfy working desk area in the rooms', but that is small also, and simply would not allow two people to work. I can only assume the hotel isn't catering for business use and doesn't want people working in the 'lounge'. Ergonomics!

Cleanliness was pretty good in my room; however the corridor - with its funky pattern carpet - wasn't. I can only think the carpet was installed to save on hoovering. Added to this there always seemed to be glasses or trays outside rooms, and if not outside the room, piled outside the service lift on the way to the stairs. Not nice to see or smell. Those that use the stairs may appreciate it being hoovering also.

My biggest gripe, and one that I really wasn't happy with, is this: You go to the bar to order a drink, the friendly staff offer to bring it to your table - fine. Later when looking at the bar bill on the in-room tv, I noted I was being charged for this at 10%!! Unacceptable, and something I wasn't made aware of when ordering!

Room Tip: Collect your own drinks from the bar! Enjoy the free crisps and water in the mini bar as you'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank London_Scotti
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear London_Scotti

Many Thanks for your feedback of our hotel.

I am really pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and the bed comfy with nice pillows, the room was clean and that you had a good shower.

I have forwarded your comments regarding the carpet on the stair case and room service trays to my Rooms Manager who will put in place the necessary training.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel over the weekend and was struck by how friendly all the staff were at the hotel. My room was lovely light and airy with a lovely balcony very close to the next room but ok nonetheless. One key bit of advice my room was lovely and bright with the balcony but the room opposite without the balcony was really quite dark, check when booking you will be glad you did. The bar area is very nice and open where a lot if people sit and chat and the restaurant is a Marco Pierre White restaurant and is very good both food and service were excellent, book it you won't regret it.

Room Tip: As above make sure it is a light room with balcony ones at the back are dark
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy8642
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Jeremy8642

Many Thanks for you review of the hotel.

Its always great to read that how friendly our staff and the team are at the hotel.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon#

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just stayed for one night before a flight. Staff friendly and helpful at all times. Room clean and tidy. Staff in lounge at night spot on great cocktails. Breakfast in the morning brilliant everything you could possibly want and as much as you want. The biggest plus was that all the staff were friendly and helpful made you feel welcome. Hotel in a great location would stay again. If there is one minus it would have to be that it was quite noisy at night people shouting and carrying on but then it is a city hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cumbria72

Dear Cumbria72

Many Thanks for your review of the hotel.

Its always great to read how friendly helpful and welcoming the team made you feel. We pride ourselves on having a great breakfast at the hotel which you seemed to have enjoyed.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon