“Got our trip off on the right foot!”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Got our trip off on the right foot!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

After a terrible travel experience getting over to Newcastle, the Hotel Indigo and their stellar staff helped turn our trip around! I called the hotel from the States after having a flight cancelled to alert them to the situation which affected our reservation. They were wonderful and offered to pre-check us in to make our arrival the next day easier. Upon arrival- Sam at the front desk took care of getting us settled, supplied us with maps of the city and some great restaurant recommendations. Room service was swift and delightful (try the shepard's pie!) and the continental breakfast was filling and well presented. Our room was very nicely sized and the shower with the rain shower head was great. But really what made our stay was the staff. Everyone had a smile, were helpful and generally a pleasure to work with- Sam at the front desk in particular. We will most certainly be staying here again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Hello David G,

I am delighted to hear you had a great stay with us in Newcastle after what seems like a bad travel experience! I will give Sam and the staff my personal thanks for the great service provided. I am glad you had time to use our MPW Restaurant for breakfast and look around our city as well. Hopefully your next flight will be hassle free!

I look forward to your next stay,

Paul Borg- General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

So check in laborious, "the computers" don't work, rooms not ready, yes they are/no they're not. But somehow my grumpy side didn't appear...because the staff are great. Unrequested we got upgraded mini bars because of the wait, and the rooms are clean and efficient. Not overly comforting...mainly as a consequence of the laminate floors...but I'm sure that helps with the clean up after the weekend party goers that no doubt fill the hotel. We had two rooms a corner one and a twin. The standard room was in our view more than adequate rather than a corner room. The corner room..is on a corner...but has 4 windows , which results in more noise from outside. So spend more and have a noisier room!?!? More concerning is the noise the windows make at 6am when they start to warm up with the sunrise. They sound like they might crack?... In fact one room's window has! So to my MPW comment. I was lucky to eat at Harvey's in Wandsworth on several occasions when Marco Pierre White was in his pomp. Shouting and swearing his way to some sublime food. Equally I ate at some of his later London eateries with less than fantastic meals. And in Dubai at his venture with Franki D...Non the less he should rightly be feted for his contribution to UK gastronomy and for stock pots...but does anyone want to see so many mood shots of said man whilst eating one's poached eggs? :) I for one don't. Incidentally it didn't put me off the breakfast which was really tasty.
Indigo, by all means have a marque signing in the restaurant...but you want quirky or impact you can do so much better. So on the whole we would stay again, the staff are a credit to the hotel...perhaps they should be on the walls.

Room Tip: Go for standards rooms...less noise and cheaper.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Hello Niblob13,

Thank you for your great review of Hotel Indigo and Marco Pierre White Restaurant. Due to our location, the corner rooms do have the best views however this means these can be slightly louder during weekends. I hope the noise wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

Our staff do truly ensure everyone has the best stay possible, I am glad that you had the mini fridge upgraded for the inconvenience at check in.

I do hope we are your first choice again when visiting Newcastle.

Pulloxhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

As an IHG Platinum member, I always try to use IHG hotels wherever possible, but this was my first experience of the Indigo brand.

Overall, I can't fault this hotel - great location, superb service, trendy vibe, contemporary styling, decent price - and it will be my hotel of choice for any future visits to Newcastle.

The rooms are quite small but beautifully decorated, the toiletries are Aveda (wow!) and the complimentary minibar is a far cry from the stingy hotels charging extortionate prices for an in-room glass of water. In standard room the minibar is soft drinks only so don't get too excited, but I was upgraded (love it when the Platinum membership is recognised, thanks) and got some wine and beer too in addition to the fabulous balcony. Complimentary room service for breakfast and a Marco Pierre White restaurant on the premises completes the deal for me.

I doubt you'd get better for less than 100 quid in any city centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hello Hamish,

Thank you for choosing us to be your first Indigo experience! We do ensure we recognise all IHG members that come and stay with us, I am glad you got to make use of the upgraded mini bar and balcony.

I hope you will make us your first choice within the city centre as you can get fantastic deals especially when booking in advance, considering our great location, transport links and nearby attractions.

Paul Borg
UK
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We had 3 twin rooms for one night recently for 6 guys to use. From the booking process to the checkout, it was an easy process and for us, good value with using a package deal that was on offer.

Whether we were fortunate or not, the girl on the checkin desk was superb being friendly, explaining everything well to us and getting us sorted quickly and efficiently. The rooms were all very good, clean and well proportioned.

We made use of the bar for one drink - quite expensive prices at £5/pint - and the package we had included a breakfast in the Marco Pierre White restaurant. This turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of the visit for all of us with everyone commenting that the selection of hot food was limited (scrambled egg that was very dry), sausages, bacon, mushrooms and hash browns - no beans/tomatoes/black pudding/alternative eggs etc. The toast was cold within a minute of being delivered to the table but there was a good choice of fruit/cereals etc.

The staff were excellent throughout and we all commented that we would make use of the hotel again but maybe not have the breakfast option in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello derbyjap,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that the staff provided excellent service and that you would return for this reason. Regarding breakfast, the feedback will indeed be passed onto the food and beverage department, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your next stay with us at Hotel Indigo.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great service - excellent value. The staff were very helpful. The room size and finishings are first rate. would recommended for anyone needing to be central. only issue is the lack of lift from the car park

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Good evening,

Thank you for your kind review. On a return visit if you are needing assistance coming into our car park please give us a heads up and our front desk team will be more than happy to assist you.

I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Sam
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

After walking Hadrian's Wall finishing and staying here was awesome! Situated in the heart of Newcastle the hotel gives you access with easy walking distance to so many things.

The front of house staff were exceptional and cannot do enough for you! And all so happy to be so.

The room was more then adequate, quiet, decent shower and bathroom.

Room service very quick and professional, I really cannot fault this hotel, I would not hesitate to come back. Wonderful staff!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hello Campbell C,

I am glad to hear you had a great stay with us from such a great review, especially after walking Hadrians Wall! Our front desk team are extremely welcoming and will be more than happy to check you in on a future visit.

NEWCASTLE
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked Hotel Indigo for an anniversary treat. The reception staff are the best Ive come across. Without asking he (Sam) moved our room form one side of the hotel to the other as there was a very large wedding occurring next door. He also arranged for 2 glasses of prosecco to be sent to our room as a treat for our anniversary .

In the room on the 4th floor. Complimentary soft drinks mini bar coke, water, crisps, kitkat etc.
Hairdryer, Iron lots of charging ports, iPod dock, large TV etc.

Room was really modern and very comfortable with A/C. Spotlessly clean and very comfortable. No bath but large walk in shower with Aveda toiletries.

We ate out and returned later that night and had a drink in the bar downstairs.

Breakfast in MPW restaurant in the morning was lovely too. I had pancakes with hot berries. There were lots to choose from continental and cooked

Hassle free checkout again and a chat with Rachel and Sam on reception. Staff are superb Indigo a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine S
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Good morning Stardy,

I greatly appreciate the fantastic review. At Hotel Indigo we aim to go above and beyond in any way we can, I am glad you feel the hospitality was of a high standard. With this in mind, I hope you come and visit us again in the future!