“Trendy”

Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms were extremely clean and very trendy. We did not eat at the restaurant as I wanted "chips" she was honest in saying if that's all I wanted I should go to the "chip shop" around the corner as it wouldn't be so expensive. I appreciated her honesty. The beds were comfy and the shower was great. Will go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Hello Erin,

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear you had a great stay with us, hopefully next time you will get to try out our MPW Restaurant if you are feeling hungrier!

Paul Borg- General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We had three nights here for a special celebration and were very pleased indeed. Service was exceptionally pleasant throughout the hotel, from the warm welcome at reception, to the restaurant (a special mention to Maitre d' Trina who found us a table on the crowded Saturday evening when we hadn't thought to book) and the housekeeping team. The room was small but well-appointed and functional and it was great to sit on the balcony and admire the view over the rooftops. If the weather is OK, it is definitely worth upgrading to a balcony room, in our opinion. Free wifi throughout the hotel is a much-appreciated facility. The restaurant is excellent, reasonably priced for the high quality food and service, so should not be missed.
One very slight niggle was a maintenance problem we reported on Saturday morning had still not been fixed by Monday checkout, which seemed uncharacteristically lax, but we were happy to overlook that given the rest of our experience. Overall, the delightful welcome and service, great restaurant and clean, modern room make this a top choice. We would definitely go again and try other hotels in the same group.

Room Tip: Top floor with balcony gives great views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Hello Bigapplebrit,

Thank you for your great review of Hotel Indigo. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will thank Trina and the housekeeping staff for their great hospitality. It is indeed a concern that the maintenance issue was not dealt with during the stay and I will look into this, but I am glad this won't stop you making a return! We look forward to this.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel prior to attending a wedding. When we arrived and checked in I was really impressed by the lobby and the look / feel of the place. Went up to our room, which was really beautifully decorated and well laid out and I was again impressed. However, we booked a King Room so I did expect a Kingsize bed. I went back and checked my booking and it did say double bed so this was my fault, however, I felt the description was misleading, especially as the room could have easily taken a king size bed. The bed itself was also extremely uncomfortable, like sleeping on a piece of wood with two poor pillows for your head. Really did expect a lot better from the look of the hotel - felt the quality really didn't match it's appearance.

The hotel was lovely and quiet and we didn't hear noises from the other rooms which was lovely. The bathroom looked stunning, but I have to say I was really disappointed with the shower which was really feeble.

The worst part of our stay, however, and the thing that really spoiled it for us was the breakfast. We ordered the full English which was a whopping £16.95 and it was the sorriest looking breakfast I have ever seen. The sausage looked like it had been boiled, it was so anemic and full of water. I didn't eat mine as it didn't look particularly well cooked and I didn't want to take any chances. The bacon was very fatty and the black pudding tasted horrible. It was so awful we didn't eat most of it and we did mention it to the waitress when she cleared our plates. She offered us something else, however, we were on a tight timescale for getting ready and after half eating that really didn't fancy anything else.

The staff were all really lovely though - a true credit to the hotel.

1  Thank JuliaGeorge_11

Thank you for the time given to review your stay with us. Both positive and negative aspects of your stay have been recorded and passed on to the relevant departments. Regarding breakfast, the service you received was obviously below standard and I am deeply sorry to hear this. If you would like to speak about the matter further please feel free to contact me on paul.borg@hotelindigonewcastle.com and I will ensure that we will do our best to make a future stay of a much higher quality.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed for one Thursday night 28th August. Efficient and fast check in by Rachel 1 who kindly, without being asked, upgraded us to a room with a balcony. Room, very spacious, clean, modern decor, nice toiletries and dressing gowns, Lovely clean bathroom, plenty of towels and a walk in shower. mini bar with wine, beer and nibbles and we were told to help ourselves-it was all complimentary. We arrived at 8pm so dropped off our stuff in the room, quickly changed and went out for a meal. As it was raining Rachel offered to get us a taxi by the time we had left reception and walked out the front door it arrived and cost £2,50!! amazing! Had a lovely meal at Marco Polo in Dean Street. Hotel Indigo has a Marco Pierre White restaurant and although we didn't have our evening meal there, the breakfast-which was included in our price-was very good. A selection of fresh cut fruit, yogurt, nuts and dried fruit, fruit juice, mini cereals, then a good English breakfast-eggs cooked to order- asked for hot chocolate to drink instead of tea and everything arrived promptly. Pleasant staff. Check out was efficient thank to Rachael 2. All in all a very pleasant stay, very good value, nice helpful and well trained staff and we will certainly stay again and certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Even if you can't have a balcony room then a top floor room still has a good view.
1  Thank sarahjanewales2016
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Hello SarahJane,

I will personally thank Rachel and Rachael for their great hospitality during your stay. It is great to hear such nice feedback regarding both the Hotel Indigo and our Marco Pierre White Restaurant. Our location does mean we are within reach of many great bars, restaurants and shopping areas and I am glad you made the most of this!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My first visit to an Indigo hotel and will not be my last.

An excellent hotel and although I had some initial niggles with the a/c not working we swapped rooms to a very odd shaped room, but it was well appointed and clean and with a fabulous walk in shower.

The bed was comfortable and the view from the top floor was excellent.
Service could not be flawed and the staff were very friendly and you could not fault them.
An excellent experience.

Room Tip: Weekend there can be noise until late but go higher to get it quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank agilchrist

Hello agilchrist,

It is great to hear you had such an excellent stay with us, with such good feedback for both the staff and facilities.

I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

After a terrible travel experience getting over to Newcastle, the Hotel Indigo and their stellar staff helped turn our trip around! I called the hotel from the States after having a flight cancelled to alert them to the situation which affected our reservation. They were wonderful and offered to pre-check us in to make our arrival the next day easier. Upon arrival- Sam at the front desk took care of getting us settled, supplied us with maps of the city and some great restaurant recommendations. Room service was swift and delightful (try the shepard's pie!) and the continental breakfast was filling and well presented. Our room was very nicely sized and the shower with the rain shower head was great. But really what made our stay was the staff. Everyone had a smile, were helpful and generally a pleasure to work with- Sam at the front desk in particular. We will most certainly be staying here again!

Hello David G,

I am delighted to hear you had a great stay with us in Newcastle after what seems like a bad travel experience! I will give Sam and the staff my personal thanks for the great service provided. I am glad you had time to use our MPW Restaurant for breakfast and look around our city as well. Hopefully your next flight will be hassle free!

I look forward to your next stay,

Reviewed 28 August 2014

So check in laborious, "the computers" don't work, rooms not ready, yes they are/no they're not. But somehow my grumpy side didn't appear...because the staff are great. Unrequested we got upgraded mini bars because of the wait, and the rooms are clean and efficient. Not overly comforting...mainly as a consequence of the laminate floors...but I'm sure that helps with the clean up after the weekend party goers that no doubt fill the hotel. We had two rooms a corner one and a twin. The standard room was in our view more than adequate rather than a corner room. The corner room..is on a corner...but has 4 windows , which results in more noise from outside. So spend more and have a noisier room!?!? More concerning is the noise the windows make at 6am when they start to warm up with the sunrise. They sound like they might crack?... In fact one room's window has! So to my MPW comment. I was lucky to eat at Harvey's in Wandsworth on several occasions when Marco Pierre White was in his pomp. Shouting and swearing his way to some sublime food. Equally I ate at some of his later London eateries with less than fantastic meals. And in Dubai at his venture with Franki D...Non the less he should rightly be feted for his contribution to UK gastronomy and for stock pots...but does anyone want to see so many mood shots of said man whilst eating one's poached eggs? :) I for one don't. Incidentally it didn't put me off the breakfast which was really tasty.
Indigo, by all means have a marque signing in the restaurant...but you want quirky or impact you can do so much better. So on the whole we would stay again, the staff are a credit to the hotel...perhaps they should be on the walls.

Room Tip: Go for standards rooms...less noise and cheaper.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
paul B, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Hello Niblob13,

Thank you for your great review of Hotel Indigo and Marco Pierre White Restaurant. Due to our location, the corner rooms do have the best views however this means these can be slightly louder during weekends. I hope the noise wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

Our staff do truly ensure everyone has the best stay possible, I am glad that you had the mini fridge upgraded for the inconvenience at check in.

I do hope we are your first choice again when visiting Newcastle.