“Always been a cracking pub!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #326 of 1,243 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle
“Always been a cracking pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

The vib has always been cool at the Tanners. I've been going there for over ten years now, though I'm not a regular. Good beer, music and outdoor smoking. What more do you want from a pub? Well, they put on gigs too.

• Visited November 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Back again, Just as good as I'd remembered! A must do if you love a great Burger!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

A return trip this week to Newcastle meant that the Tanners would definitely be getting another visit! Last year i popped in on recommendation, and thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic food, superb beer and eclectic musical policy that had me getting my soundhound app worn out!
I'm overjoyed to say that this visit was just as good (minus the strawberry cider they had on the last time, but that's the beauty of guest ales...) Some good tunes, friendly and chatty service, great when you aren't local, we were made to feel right at home amongst their regulars. They bill themselves "Eats, Beats and Beer Bar" and the latter two got the thumbs up, but as we had eaten already, we popped back in on the second night of our stay for another of their mighty Burgers. They have a selection of burgers you can choose from, but you can also opt to build your own, which we did, I opted for a Burger with Cheddar, Extra Bacon and a fried egg - just cooked enough but the yolk still runny to be soaked up into the burger - wow! Up there with some of my favourite burgers from Berlin, i didnt want it to end - Chips as a side were top notch as was the haloumi and caramelised onions - Wunderbar!!!

• Visited February 2014
“Nice Sunday dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Had a Sunday dinner here, had the bases covered, beef, pork, chicken and a veggie. I was disappointed when I saw it was chicken thighs but then pleasantly suprised when eatting it. The Yorkshire was massive and the veg were very nice. The only thing missing for me was mashed potatoes instead I had to have roasties. Saying that it was a very nice meal, the staff are friendly and it had a nice atmosphere. Il definitely be going back and trying their burgers.
Dinner and half a pint of real ale for £10.10, not bad.

• Visited November 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Bar, Superb Burgers and music to match!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We were in Newcastle 3 days, and I'm glad we went here on on the first one, as we visited it every night too! I had read about it in a review of the top 10 pubs in the Newcastle area, so duly marked it on the itenary and wandered in on the Friday afternoon, and was really taken with it. The bar serves a great selection of real ales and ciders, and the burgers are some of the best I've had (and that puts it into esteemed company!) freshly handmade, well seasoned patties cooked beautifully on proper buns with great sides!
The music is varied and eclectic, the highlight for me was the guy on the Saturday who was playing some old school electro and disco then bringing it al the way round back to the modern again. That said when I walked in he had his vinyl perched on the bar, and Kraftwerks Man machine was at the front so I knew I was in for a good time!
Popped back in on the Sunday for the roast and it too was top notch, again everyone was super friendly, recognised us from the previous night, even remembered what we were drinking.
Thoroughly recommended, the people that run and own this place, take a bow, you went a long way to making a great weekend one which I cant wait to repeat!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best burger and beer by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

The food here has to be tasted to be believed. Excellent burgers, chips and onion rings the size of doughnuts, all at great prices. A relatively simple menu Monday to Saturday just includes a number of carnivore burgers and three vegetarian alternatives along with the sides already mentioned. All that topped off with the world's largest selection of ketchup, sauce, etc and really excellent value make The Tanners a great place to eat. The draft beers are great, too and the staff always friendly. Hurrah!

• Visited April 2013