“Best Ever Mince&Dumplings”

Killingworth Arms
Ranked #209 of 1,252 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Best Ever Mince&Dumplings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

First time I have eaten in this pub but friend I was with had done so many years ago, we found a good range of choices on the menu along with specials on the chalkboard&not to forget the carvery.We both opted for the mince&dumplings(like your mam used to make) OMG soo right!!! Large plate came with m&d on &we were directed to the carvery section to select veg&mash. The mash was delish&veggies were cooked to perfection. The star attraction m&d were absolutely gorgeous, both my friend&i kept making those uum&ahh sounds. Could not quite clear the plate &for the price of £6.95 this was great value. Will definitely return for more. Yay!!!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Carol R

“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Having lived in the area for around 3 years I have to say this is one of the best establishments around. Friendly staff, great & friendly chef & fantastic food. It says a lot for the food when you have a chef who is clearly
Proud of what he is producing interacting with all the customers and bringing food to the tables.

4 Thank ScottSaz1512
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Complacent”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Have been here twice and found the food good, our visit to last Sundays Carvery, it was terrible, I had beef and gammon, the beef was plenty full but tasteless the gammon far to salty, the Yorkshire pudding were like rubber, the savoy cabage, sprouts and carrots were undercooked, they need to to a grip they are giving volume but without the quality.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Gw04caw
Newcastle, UK
“Fantastic carvery - great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I've been to this place twice and both times the food has been outstanding. On my first visit, I had the carvery (and I'm not normally a carvery person). What can I say - it was plentiful, the yorkshire puddings were huge, the meat was succulent and the sides were just so flavourful. Lovely.

On my most recent visit I ordered the vegetarian lasagne as they'd ran out of the meat version. It was delighful. The portion was a good size and there was plenty of garlic bread to boot. Again, the flavours were just great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The service is friendly and quick. No complaints.

If you haven't visited yet, you're missing out!

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank Keebab
Newcastle/Liverpool, England
“Skinflints!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We bought 20 tickets for their New Years Eve party at £10 each. Entrance included food and a free drink if you were in fancy dress. 13 of us, in suitable fancy dress attire arrived at 8.30ish, and we went straight to get a drink at the bar. The lady who served us said there was no free drink.
Having paid for the round, we noticed the tv screen (showing adverts) mentioned "free pint or short with mixer for those in fancy dress". There was a girl taking photos of everyone in fancy dress, so I asked if she worked there. She said she did so I raised the issue of the drink with her. She said she'd sort it out, then never came back!
Next we asked the guy who'd taken the tickets and he promised he'd get the boss to come over to us. The boss didn't.
Finally we asked another member of staff who said it only applied from 6-7pm!
What a bunch of skinflints!
Instead of staying to see the New Year in, we cut short and went elsewhere. Instead of honouring their promise they renaged on it and twisted it to suit themselves.
It will prove to be a costly mistake: we would have stayed for another hour, spending another £100+ and now will never go again. 13 of us!
Bad attitude to their customers, short term gain, long term loss. :-(

• Visited December 2013