“Lovely”

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lovely”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having just checked into The Royal Station (I don’t want to talk about it) we went in search of something for lunch. The pickings were very slim on the main road - Greggs, Starbucks, Subway …… no thank you. So we ventured up a side street in search of something better. There were a couple of options that took our fancy and we decided to try The Forth on the grounds that it had outside area. Not that we sat outside mind you.

The bar is beautiful and airy and was lovely and cool on a warm spring day. We chose a booth in the window and retired with a drink to peruse the menu. I had one of the special drinks, a rhubarb and hibiscus iced tea and he had a coke.

The menu reads very nicely indeed. He went straight for the Sunday roasts and chose the beef. I wanted something lighter so chose a couple of sides; cauliflower cheese and a side salad. Food ordered it was onto the Sunday papers, they had the Sunday Times so I was a happy girl. We read these until our food arrived.

When our food was put in front of us we were two very happy people. The roast was a good size, without being huge. There was a good portion of vegetables, lovely soft juicy and flavoursome meat, a delicious gravy and a perfectly knobbly Yorkshire pudding. The only criticism would be that there was insufficient gravy. There was just not enough to soak up with the Yorkshire pudding - but that really is a fairly minor point and knowing this I might ask for a bit more next time. And the cauliflower cheese - it was delicious. It was creamy and cheesy and the cauliflower was just a little crunchy. There was the right ratio of sauce to cauliflower and the sauce had just started to brown nicely under the grill. The salad was deceptively large and I didn’t manage to eat it all. But it was a tasty combination of crunchy lettuce, tasty tomatoes and cucumber with a vinaigrette dressing. Thankfully there was no onion in it so I didn’t need to worry about picking it out. Once we had finished (which we did fairly quickly) the plates were cleared promptly.

The staff were friendly and pleasant and served with a smile. We will most definitely be back to sample their wider menu, and the Saturday Brunch offerings look awesome!!!

A brilliant find

Visited May 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Weekend lunch and drinks £££!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Came here for a change to our usual hangouts after recommendations from friends. The menu had a great choice, however on this busy weekend they ran out of beef for steaks etc.
The food was brilliant, can't be faulted. However, the drinks seemed extortionate in price...for a pint and a glass of wine we were charged over £10. By the time we'd got a round in we were feeling the pinch!
It's a lovely place to go, nice and close to other pubs (which we did later to save some £!) the staff were lovely too.
Go when your feeling flush!

Malton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great wee place”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Came in the afternoon to this pub. Great atmosphere, most of the bar staff was very nice (especially the girls with the tattoos). Only one gripe was when they came and put a board down on our table(nobody else's) at 5pm, saying reserved from 6pm.. wouldn't have minded if they had said something to us earlier and we would have moved tables(by now the place is packed). When I asked about it, the girl was very rude. Maybe next time show a little courtesy and just let us know by talking to us. Not just putting a board down and walking away.
We did like pub and will be back. Burgers looked good too.:-)

Visited March 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Pub”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Not the first time I've been in but thought it deserved a mention.
Great pub ,great menu,can't wait to try the brunch on Saturday!

Visited January 2014
Gateshead
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great boozer”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend meets his mates in the Forth both before and after newcastle home games and I often meet him for a drink or something to eat if I'm in town.

Bar staff are always great and can't do enough to help even in busy times.

Food is almost always great and not overpriced.

Has a lovely relaxed feel with free WIFi I could happily spend a lazy afternoon surfing the net or reading papers.

Has a great little roof garden but it's been totally spoilt by the smoking ban but that's the same of all outside places within bars now I wish they would include them in the ban.

Visited January 2014