“Grainger Market”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Grainger Market”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I found this amazing place purely by accident! It is well worth a visit - a huge range of stalls selling everything - clothes, cheese, meat, bread, plants, flowers, books, jewellery etc. The fruit stands especially were really good - all the produce looked so fresh and they were really cheap. Worth a visit just to look at the architecture. We had noodles for lunch - were okay, but I wouldn't rush to have them here again - pretty tasteless with very little chicken or Pak Choi.

Visited May 2014

• Thai first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent Grade I Listed covered market in the heart of Newcastle Upon Tyne. A warm Geordie welcome from every stall including butchers. fresh fish, fruit n veg, bakers, cakes, deli's, take aways, cafe's, haberdashers, watch and jewellery menders, barbers, crafts and cards, health foods, t shirt printers, vintage clothing and retro games and movie stuff, hardware etc etc everything you need actually! Brilliant place for good quality, good prices and good customer service - don't miss it.

Visited April 2014
Accra, Ghana
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Quite something”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I used to roam these markets as a child walking on saw dust through the butchery isles so many years late I paid a visit. Still has the same ambience it used to have. However the markets charm of shouting butchers and vegetable sellers seems to have failed away.
Mind you we are some fresh holy island oysters which were as fresh as you get as they are opened in front of you. Over all still a lovely place to visit if your in Newcastle

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“FARTHER DOWNHILL”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Returning after only a year we were shocked by the further deterioration of these once beautiful shopping streets and the fine old covered market. The renovation ( sleep well T.Dan Smith) of the city centre was a splendid achievement and the Eldon Centre and Northumberland Street make for a shopping experience of world quality; but at what cost. What a shame!

Visited March 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Scotch Corner Deli (not butchers)”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Lets start with the nice places the fruit stalls are great with fabulous customer service, the second hand book stalls are fantastic I regularly buy Martina Cole and Karen Rose books for 1-2 pounds each as opposed to 7 pounds plus in Waterstones anyway everywhere else in Grainger Market is great! Moving on Scotch Corner Deli is just awful after letting 2 people push in front of me then trying to serve another I decide to speak up then I am screamed at by what I can only describe as a chav saying that she hasn't served anyone before me which she clearly had so I carry on with my order anyway as I do not like confrontation. Then when I am given the wrong order I say I think you have given me someone elses food to be told that was what I had ordered in the most digusting attitude. Not a very nice experience and a shame because the Grainger Market is lovely apart from that awful woman at Scotch Corner Deli. If you go there you will know who I mean just by appearance. Forgot to mention a lovely cake stalk called Pet Lamb now they know good customer service.

Visited March 2014