“Not bad, but not great”
Review of The Old Siam

The Old Siam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Booked this restaurant based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor and must admit to not being blown away as much as other reviewers.

Don't get me wrong, its still a lovely restaurant, the service attentive, and the food good. But it's not stunning.

We were sat in the front of the restaurant which is a small room which sits about 20 people. It's very very bright and the 'ambiance' was just a bit strange really - can't put my finger on it exactly.

The spicy'ness wasn't anywhere near as severe as other reviews had led us to believe. My wife had a Yellow Curry as it was only 1 Chilli Pepper on the menu, and I had a Green Curry as it has 2 Chilli Peppers.

The 1 Chilli dish was the same heat as a Korma, the 2 Chilli dish was no warmer than a medium indian curry.

The food however was beautifully presented and full of lovely fresh Thai flavours.

I won't be rushing back, but I will be back!

There are newer reviews for The Old Siam

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We walked in after reading reviews on tripadvisor and were not disappointed! The servers were all very polite and seemed enthusiastic - with each one greeting us individually as we walked past. Our drinks order was taken very quickly, and we were given enough time to decide what food we wanted before that order was taken.

Our starters again arrived swiftly - and were delicious and hot. We had spring rolls and the sweet chilli sauce served with them was divine (actually quite spicy!). Our main courses arrived after a short delay (enough time to enjoy our starters and digest a little). When they came, we were impressed with the portion size and again served very hot. In fact one can see the chefs cooking in the kitchen if you dine upstairs. Food was again delicious, and we left feeling very satisfied.

One piece of advice, pay attention to the chillies on the menu! 2 chillies was really quite spicy and I am good with spice. All in all an excellent choice though,

1  Thank Kieran A
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Came across this little Gem by pure chance . The food was outstanding I had the duck and my Husband had a curry . We tried Thai rose wine for the first time ,it was very pleasant . The staff were lovely and made you feel very special . We did not book and they accommodated us on a Saturday evening . It was a very enjoyable experience and value for money . The portions were just right . We will certainly return when we visit Newcastle .

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Although quite a small restaurant, you don't feel piled on top of each other as you sometimes get. The food is succulent, I strongly suggest the tiger prawn starter. The service is always lovely. Nice cosy, clean atmosphere, and very much worth the slightly higher prices than other places.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Friendly staff, good service. Fab food. We had salmon green curry, with 4 huge portions of salmon, sauce very tasty, also had a red thai curry with chicken, delicious. Prices reasonable. Table booked for 7.30 and restaurant quit full, which is always a good sign. Definitely go back.