“Worth the walk across town”
Review of Quay Ingredient

Quay Ingredient
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We heard the breakfast was fab at quay ingredient so we tracked across town to find this talked about place. Great service and food. Especially scrambled eggs with truffle oil and brioche. Coffee was also very nice.

There are newer reviews for Quay Ingredient

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I have always wanted to try here but found it difficult to allocate with my son's pram as it is on the small side and up a few stairs on entrance to the building. But after a late night out, we thought this was the perfect spot for brunch with no restrictions.

On arrival, the gentleman who appeared to be the owner was very friendly and welcoming, pointed us to a nice table in the window where we could chill whilst looking through the menu. As I mentioned earlier, it is a small café but this adds to the character, where you feel very warm and welcome with the staff chatting friendly amongst themselves as well as the customers (the chef even walking up to a customer during his breakfast and showing him a text message he had just received! Brilliant!). The ambience is perfect for business lunches or study time, the staff not too intrusive but always there to help if you need it.

I decided on a cappuccino and my wife an Earl Grey. The cappuccino was a bit wet and the milk could have been smoother but I am very picky with my coffee so I can see that the standard is still high here compared to other small, independent cafes I've visited lately. The strength was definitely there though, I even got an extra shot but I don't think I would have needed it if it wasn't for the hangover! My wife's Earl Grey was tasty and the crockery it was served in was nice and quirky.

The food blew me away. You can't beat a bacon and sausage sandwich after a heavy session and the breakfast bap is supposed to have egg in it (something I've never liked) but the waitress was happy to replace this with black pudding. All the ingredients were delicious and full of flavour, the bap they served it in was soft and warm, making the whole sandwich a joy to eat.

Once my brother joined us with my son, the staff helped them up the stairs and opened the door for them to get in, very nice touch. My brother enjoyed his Americano and my son devoured his muffin, which had good flavour too.

Knowing that we MAY be able to return here with my son, we will make this a regular for breakfast treats as the value is excellent and the food second to none when it comes to breakfast in Newcastle. Plus this "bulletproof" coffee sounds too good to be true, I MUST try it!

Keep up the good work guys, number 1 and thoroughly deserved!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We visited here for breakfast one sunday morning and we were not disappointed. I had the cinnamon pancakes which were divine and my guest opted for the eggs benedict which she claimed were the best she ever tasted. Only a small place but well worth the wait. Staff were friendly and attentative and we can't wait to go back. I'm not surprised it's ranked no 1!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Simon and his team continue with great food, bustling atmosphere. Great menu and not your normal run of the mill sarnies here, although if you want something plain and simple, you only have to ask - as I often do !

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We visited Quay Ingrediant on our final day in Newcastle for breakfast before heading home. It was pretty busy as there are only around 8 tables, we were quickly seated and served and before we knew it we had our drinks. When our food arrived (i had the full english and my wife had eggs benedict) it was quite simply the best breakfast we have ever had....cooked perfectly and good value for money too.

The service was great but the food...exceptional....

I would drive back to Newcastle just to have breakfast here..