“I can say I have been..”
Review of Quay Ingredient

Quay Ingredient
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Newcastle upon Tyne
“I can say I have been..”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Tried to get in here on a couple of previous visits and its always been busy from the outside looking in without chance of a spare table. Actually went inside Saturday and I realise why - the place is tiny. Only seats about two dozen at the most with a real notch potch of seating arrangements.

I was determined to give it a try so after being offered a low leather sofa with a coffee table I opted for the old fashioned tractor seat type stools at the bar. Mistake as these were so uncomfortable and coupled with the fact I also felt I was sitting on the blokes shoulder at the table just beside me.

Fortunately after about 10 mins a table for two became free so we nabbed it. Second uncomfortable seat of the day. I felt this chair was about to collapse at any moment.

So onto the food. Menu was full of typical breakfasts staples. My wife loves eggs so the choice for her was easy with Eggs Benedict catching her eye immediately. Can be served with either smoked bacon, parma ham or spinach. There is another option for smoked salmon. She went for the smoked bacon and I nearly joined her in this selection. The move to a proper table giving us more space changed my mind to the full english.

Couple of cappuccinos arrived and they were just ok. Bit weak if I am honest, but hey not everyone likes a strong coffee.

Food arrived and looked good on the plate. My wife saying her hollandaise sauce was delicious and one of the best she had had. I tasted it and I thought I detected a hint of mustard - didn't hit the spot for me.

The strange thing about the dish though was there were two poached eggs, two bits of bacon but only one half of muffin. Stuck on the side of the plate was two slices of toast. Were the muffins in short supply? Odd.

My full english was just that. The usual fare you would expect.. bacon, pork & leek sausage, fried egg, mushrooms, black pudding, half a tomato that had just flirted with the heat of the oven and two slices of toast.

Pretty plateful. Nothing startling if I am honest. Nothing to rave about really, just ok.

That last comment really summed up my feelings about QI. It has been getting top billing and I was expecting something fantastic. Left feeling a bit non plussed and wondering what the fuss was about if I am honest.

I can say I have been, its another one crossed off the list but if I didn't get back there wouldn't be the end of the world. Wouldn't be my first breakfast pick in the city.

PS: Another customer asked if they had a loo. The manager/owner replied they was a 'staff' toilet at the top of the stairs 'but' they were 'welcome' to use it. I thought if you were serving food you had to provide toilet arrangements?

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Blackjackburger

“Brilliant Breakfast”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I just had a full English breakfast in this cafe today and I have to say that it was excellent. The coffee was strong, ingredients high quality (better than most places!!) and service impeccable. Fully recommend this to anyone who reads this.

Visited August 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Eggs”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Paid a visit with my mother who loves eggs of all kinds. Eggs benedict was lovely and perfectly cooked. Cappuccino not too hot which was a refreshing change. My son had hard boiled eggs which were perfectly cooked with loads of soldiers. Pricey for what it is but they do use really great ingredients. Toilet journey terrible having to climb over coffee display. Nearly broke me neck!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank muckley72
Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do not miss it!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We visit Newcastle a couple of times a year and quay ingredient is always on our must visit list. Today's food once again proved why :-) Perfect Omelette Arnold Bennett and a cracking plate of asparagus, poached eggs, Parma ham and tattie scones. The staff are lovely and there is always a buzz about the place. Worth every penny.

• Visited August 2014
Durham
“A bit of a disappointment ...”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

So, yes, the food was nice, if a bit pricey, and none too generous. At almost £6 for Eggs Benedict, you should get a full muffin to accompany, not half.
We were slightly put off by the fishy smell outside (courtesy of the seagulls), but that is not the cafe's fault. What I did find fault with was the waitresses assumption when I asked for a glass of water, that I meant the bottled variety. When politely corrected, the glass and bottle were removed, to be replaced by a polystyrene cup of tap water. Mean!
One other thing that I found off-putting was the dirty staircase leading to the toilet, which in itself was fine.
I won't hurry back.