“Takes it seriously”

The Stand Comedy Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Purpose built comedy club open 7 days a week in the heart of Newcastle. We host regular touring comedy from the biggest names on the comedy circuit. On Wednesday nights we host our famous Red Raw (beginners night) developing the stars of the future and our Weekend Shows(Thurs - Sat)feature 5 acts over 2 hours. If comedy and a good bottle of wine is for you then look no further. Locally sourced home cooked food is available in the venue as well as our Bistro which is open daily from 11am serving lunchtime and evening menus. Please not we do not take bookings from Stag and Hen Parties.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Takes it seriously”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

...but in a good way. The Stand is determined that you actually enjoy your comedy night, without having it ruined by stag and hen parties trying to out-do the comedians on stage, or people interrupting the show. My friend and I didn't eat upstairs, but went straight down for the Bright Club science comedy night. The quality was a little variable, but that;'s fine when it's a first-timers' night, and the compere was great. I applaud them for having local real ales on the tap, good burgers, and the peerless invention of the sourcream, cheddar and bacon potato wedge basket. Go for it, you'll enjoy it.
Also, it has the best sign ever on its walls (see photo).

Visited July 2013
1 Thank LouR21

UK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Impressive Food and Comedy”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have visited here just for the food in the Restaurant on many occasions, but coupled with the great comedy downstairs The Stand is a great place for a night out.

The menu was not what i expected, a varied selection of dishes from different cuisines. There aren't many 'standard' dishes that you expect to see on a menu. I had a Wasabi Burger which was lovely and cooked just how I wished.
The comedy is great value no matter what night (especially for students) but slightly higher drinks prices to a normal pub.

Visited December 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun Wednesday night comedy.”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Great evening out on Wednesday nights, and cheap at only £2 entry. The quality of comedy is a bit hit-and-miss, but you can laugh at how bad some of them are... others are great for a good giggle. Cheap drinks. Get there early for a seat or risk standing or being picked on at the front!!

Visited November 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Attended red raw where around 10 new comedy acts are on and a headliner, only £2 to get in. This was my first visit and I just loved it! We arrived at 7 and went straight down to the club. The bistro was very busy and looks very nice. There were 3 items on the club menu, all curries and in the beginning I was disappointed but after eating my lamb curry I was amazed it was delicious. I laughed at every act they were all fab and the place filled up it is very popular. I would come every week if I could but will defo be there next wed I can't wait! (Only downside is drinks are rather expensive)

Visited January 2014
1 Thank fionaoroarty
Gateshead, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very impressed by the food”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Booked to come here with friends over the Christmas period. Had no idea what to expect but was pleasantly surprised.

Good choice of food on their evening menu. The venue itself is very relaxed no need to dress up. However they still made a real effort with the food which was delicious and well presented.

A find!!