“Great...but only for drinks”

Browns Brasserie and Bar
Ranked #110 of 1,252 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, European, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our building is the perfect example of 1830s classical architecture. Its understated elegance makes it a stylish, yet relaxing place to sample our delicious, freshly prepared food and our carefully chosen selection of wines, beers and cocktails. We're right in the centre of the oldest part of the city - the perfect place to watch the world go by as you sit back and enjoy our hospitality.
“Great...but only for drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The food here is over priced, pretentious and small portion sizes. It's really where people who don't really want to be fed go to waste some of the surplus cash they have bursting out of their designer handbags. However it's a lovely bar to have a drink in. Relaxing, clean and beautifully decorated. I could drink here any time but I'd eat elsewhere.

• Visited June 2014
Brownsbrasserie, Manager at Browns Brasserie and Bar, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for reviewing us. I'm very happy you highly rate and recommend our bar, however I am disappointed you can't say the same for our restaurant. In regard to portion and pricing, we carry out competitor research on a regular basis and feel our pricing and portioning is competitive with other local businesses in the area. Our menu has a strong British influence with plenty of classicly Britsih dishes and so would disagree that we are a pretentious venue. I'm sad that you didn't enjoy your experience and any further feedback on your thoughts would be greatly appriciated. You can contact us at browns.newcastle@mbplc.com.

Kind regards

“Top Food, Top Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was here today with my friend and I couldn't have had a better experience. We wanted somewhere relaxed but with a buzz and that's exactly what we got.

I had the lobster tagliatelle which I was a little nervous about because I never usually order seafood when I eat out but I was so glad I went for it, it was cooked to perfection. And to top it all off the service was fab. It's so true that a restaurant can have the best food in town but it counts for nothing if you haven't a friendly staff.

Well we couldn't have asked for a friendlier face. We had a really chatty waitress who made us feel right at home and was really attentive. Thanks so much to Sarah for making our visit so enjoyable we'll definitely be back

“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at Browns enjoying cocktails and finger food. We sat outside with a stunning Grey street view. My husband and I were treated to 1st class service by young Josh, we even got a brief history lesson from him. More importantly the cocktails served were excellent. I had a mojito and my husband had an old fashioned. I have worked in bars before and it is great to see classic cocktails made well. The finger food was a nice recommendation to accompany our drinks. Thanks to all the team we will see you again soon.

“Fantastic steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Twas a nice summery day, and I did fancy a steak. So a steak I ordered and a steak I received. Rare is how I like my steak and rare it came indeed. Side by side with the crispiest crispy chips Ive ever gorged on. Cest manifique

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“'Sorry, we dont have that meal available'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went last week prior to visiting the Theatre for the £29 3 course deal. Nearly everything which we asked for on the menu resulted them in not having it in stock. The waiter (I wish I had his name) was factastic, as I did feel sorry for him having to keep on coming back to let us know that what we wanted was not available.

Once we did get a meal which was available it was superb, and you couldn't believe the value. I do think that Browns need to sort out their stock.

• Visited June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm so happy that you thought our food and the service you received were superb. This is why I'm very disappointed and consider it a real shame that we couldn't offer you the courses you wanted. From experience I know that not been able to choose the dish you desire is most frustrating. I asure you this is a rarity at Browns. I hope you can appriciate that sometimes circumstances out of our control can dictate stock levels and unfortunately this time your experience was affected. I do hope you return to us again soon. Our apologies that you were not able to order what you desired.

Kind regards