“Eat and sleep, what more do you need”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Keelman's Lodge
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My son and I stayed here one night walking the Hadrian Wall. The food was good. It's a nice lodge. The room was not very modern. No wifi in the room, in the lodge it didn't work. Also the television didn't work. But I slept well there and that is important. And I haven't seen much alternatives.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here while attending a family wedding. Allocated rooms in The Lodge single storey building. Very disappointed in the standard of the rooms we were allocated. Mine stank of damp and was so dark that I had to have the light on all the time I was in it. I had to sit in the car to put on my make up it was so dark! There was mould on the window and on the surrounding wall, as well as in the bathroom, which had an extractor fan, but, as the cord was snapped off, was unuseable and the light wasn't working.The toilet seat was also chipped. My daughter and her family stayed in a separate room in the Lodge,and although we had booked a family room for them, we were shown a room with a small double bed and one single.This room also smelled of damp. The lady to whom I made a complaint, whilst being very helpful,seemed at a loss to explain this, but assured me that we would have a 'put u up' bedfor the second child.When I said that I wasn't happy about the damp smell and the mould, she told me that no-one had ever complained about this before! I must say that I found this very hard to believe.Wasn't happy at the thought of mould spores flying around the room,especially as my daughter is asthmatic. We weren't offered an alternative, even though the place didn't seem to be overrun with staying guests.Had we had more time we would have asked for the deposit back and stayed elsewhere, but time was pressing and we had to get to the wedding. The rooms could do with a thorough updating. I stayed here in 2004, nine years ago, and the decor,furniture, soft furnishings and bed coverings hadn't changed since then! Bed clothes smelled of damp as well.The following morning we had ordered breakfast for 8am as we had to be on the road for the long journey home, and despite being there being only two tables requiring breakfast, we waited 45 minutes for our food. Not acceptable. The two young children had to be taken to the playground to fill in the waiting time! We felt that breakfast was vastly over- priced. £7.50 for the children.What a rip-off. They eat like fleas. I had been to Dobbies Garden Centre in Ponteland with a friend the previous day and had a fantastic full English breakfast for £2.99!! I overheard the waitress telling two men who weren't staying, but who came in for breakfast, that breakfast was more expensive for staying guests as they had the additional cereal and fruit juice. Seems an odd philosophy, but hey... As I didn't have either of these I suppose I should have asked for a reduction, but simply couldn't be bothered to ask, as I knew what the response would be. My daughter did ask to see the manager when she went to setttle the bill, however, the person authorised to deal with her complaint 'didn't work on a Sunday' and we were given a number to ring the following day. How bad is that? In the interests of customer satisfaction,the person dealing with us should have had access to a higher authority figure there and then. I feel that the majority of the positive reviews of this establishment have been left by visitors who were there for the novelty of either sampling the beer from the micro brewery, or who were walkers, interested mainly in resting their weary bodies after a day out. There is no disrespect intended here. This is merely an observation gleaned from the reviews. With a good clean up this place could be a real gem, but, as a Geordie, I felt ashamed that my daughter's family's first experience of a stay in the NE was so awful. We won't be staying here again or recommending it to anyone else. Quite the opposite. Get your act together and sort out your customer service and give the place a good steam clean. There is no excuse for dirt or taking your guests for granted!

Room Tip: DON'T stay in The Lodge. If you do,check out the cleanliness and the smell
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
TheKeelman, Duty Manager at The Keelman's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Hello Geordiegirl C,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience whilst staying with ourselves.

Please rest assured that we are actively looking into the problems that you have raised, and we will contact you in due course in regards to this.

Kind regards,

The Keelman

Reviewed 16 September 2013

A great little haven tucked away in a beautiful spot by the side of the Tyne, clean, comfortable good sized room. Extremely healthy portions of good wholesome food at very reasonable prices served with very friendly "Geordie" hospitality what more could you want? A great little place for a couple of nights break with room prices slightly better than the big chains and a much friendlier atmosphere, A micro brewery with a good selection of local ales, good food and comfortable accommodation - what more could you ask. We were returning to my home town for a family wedding in the locality, with my 2 daughters and children, also met friend there for coffee on the Sunday morning and staff could not have been more accommodating. Also extremely handy for local walks and cycling yet only a short distance from Newcastle center.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob889
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We came here to start walking Hadrian's wall and stayed 2 nights. Good quality rooms, yes the bath panel may have had problems staying on, but the shower is excellent and the rooms are clean and comfortable. A good size as well. The brewery serves good wholesome food and the beer is excellent, from the same building. Only downside was no wifi in rooms. I would very much recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stopped here for one night during our Hadrian's Wall Walk. The room was comfortable although I was troubled that there was no mattress cover on the bed. The bathroom was clean but needed a little maintenance as the bath panel kept falling off.
The Keelman's is a lovely pub and they're not stingy with their portions. The food was somewhat disappointing (perhaps just my choices) although breakfast was much better and the packed lunch we took away with us the following day was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne B
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The hotel room was lovely with a very welcome bathroom after a long day's walking down the Hadrian's Wall Trail! The double bed was comfy too... I liked the food served in the Keelman's Lodge itself... very hot and spicy chillis [just as it should be] in the main dish and a nice mixed grill as a starter. Obviously not an extensive a la carte menu on offer but choice enough for the famished. As an added bonus the bar manager kept me thoroughly entertained with wit and banter while I waited for my dinner appointment... Judging by the amount of people in or around the pub this is a popular establishment with the locals too [always a good sign]... The breakfast the next morning was great too - egg and bacon sandwich cooked to order!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Great place to stay. It was great having a bath as my body was really sore after walking to 12-15 miles from walls end walking on pavement it was a real life saver. Rooms where very nice and great pub. The tv didn't work thou even after asking several times. But it was a buzzy Friday nightnformthe staff. Great packed lunch

Stayed: May 2013