“Long term stay..good start , poor finish” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Newcastle Rooms

and 1 more site!
Newcastle Rooms
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Long term stay..good start , poor finish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for about three weeks on my own and initially when I checked in all the staff were lovely and there were no issues with the room , very basic but you get what you pay for! However a few days in to my stay I was wondering why my room had not been cleaned when I raised this they said I must ask for this to be done which I found a bit strange but I got on with it..BUT every time I asked for this to be done it was not so each time I had to ask three times before it was done which was very frustrating. Breakfast is very average but I was fine with this..until the toaster broke and they did not have a replacement and when they finally got one the bready they put out had mould all over , pretty disgusting! I think for a one night stay this would be bearable but for any longer think again and spend that extra money it will totally be worth it! Anyway some of the staff were ok and friendly but this was ruined by the rest who were just plain rude.

Room Tip: Pick a room with an en suite
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Aimée H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

A friend and I (both girls) booked the double private room for 3 nights here. It was relatively cheap compared to the other hostels in Newcastle and we were very glad we picked this place. The room was tidy and comfortable, with a sink. They even had a tray with a kettle and some coffee and tea packets. It was all very welcoming. We were cold on the first night, but with telling the reception, they came up and turned on the heater for us. The room was cozily warm for the rest of our stay.
And on top of all that, breakfast is free. There's a variety of cereals and juices, with croissants and pain-au-chocolat, and toast and jam. There's also coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and milk to choose from. The dining area was very well laid out.
They have a TV room, which is quite spacious with a large TV. We watched the Cricket World Cup there.
The only downside is that some of the staff don't smile. I found that quite displeasing, but the rest of the staff made up for it. They even printed out my coach tickets for me!

As for location, it is not walking distance to the city (well, 45 minutes or so). But the number 30 or 31 bus drops us right in front of the hostel, which made it very convenient. And there is also Lidl a few minutes' walk away and Iceland and Asda a little further down. There are also good restaurants on West Road, which is about 20 minutes walk from the hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have mixed feelings about this place. My overall feeling is that it is a terrible establishment. The rooms are quite dirty. There are stains on the walls that could be alcohol, water or any other fluids for that matter. The service is poor and sullen. The place itself is in a quite undesirable area. The building is run down and in a terrible state
However when i break things down i think maybe it wasn't so bad. The sheets were clean and new, the bathroom suite itself looked new and was very clean. The shower in our room was amazing! like a power shower. The communal and dining areas were very presentable and had sky sports which meant we could watch the football. The breakfast was very good. i have stayed at many hostels and this breakfast stood up against a lot of them. Good selection of cereals, fresh milk, apple juice, orange juice and pineapple juice. all were replenished frequently. Fresh fruit, toast and croissants also.
Lets be honest, it is a poor place to stay. If you had your choice of establishments to stay at in Newcastle, this place would come pretty far down the list. However for one night, as somewhere to sleep whilst drunk, then it will do.
This is a place for lads and stag do's and i would say that if you really can’t find anywhere else to stay then I would almost guarantee you would find a room here

Room Tip: The en suites seem to be the best buy. the showers are clean
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Balaban1

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were 8 guys and we wanted a room that was cheap for a night. The hotel was classy, the rooms were clean and the best thing about affordable taxis around. The breakfast was good, unlike other expensive hotels. We really enjoyed our stay there and next time we are in Newcastle that’s the place to spend the night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nomia j
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Two friends and I pre-booked the quad room for a lad’s night out in Newcastle. Where do I start? The reception area was the only reasonably decent thing about the whole establishment! The deeper we delve, the more deplorable the condition. On entering the room we were gob smacked! It was dingy, freezing cold, had a whole in the wall, broken furniture and bed linen which appeared to have seen better days. To put it bluntly it was a hovel! The manger informed us that it would take an hour for the heating to come on, but he could supply us with two calor gas heaters! I can’t believe this establishment is asking people to pay to stay in it, it was a disgrace! We ended up taking our money back and booking somewhere else for only £15 extra per person!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank drwho2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is the pits there was a hole in the wall the back of the wardrobe had fell off .The room was freezing cold.Me and my two mates had paid £120 for this hole and £15 a head if something was damaged.The guy on the desk said give it an hour to warm up and then he said he would get us calor gas heaters.We had to share a minging shower .So we made him give us a refund on the spot and we then stayed at jurys in the city centre for £150 which included breakfast spot on .Don'r ever go to the Newcastle rooms its very sad place.

1 Thank Dan Hansell
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Lets be straight this place is a dump however as I was on a leaving do with work it serviced a purpose to get my head down at 3am and then up n off home in the morning. The single room was £33 which for a Saturday night is good however this place makes Travelodge look like the Ritz! The room was okay, dull lighting, no toilet but there was a sink, tea/coffee making facilities and they provided a towel. There was a flat screen tv but doesn't work unless you pay an extra £5 so didn't bother. Checked in then went for a shower, a group of lads at Reception were not happy as had been waiting 45 mins for their room but I had no such issues. The shower stank and it was only tepid but again served a purpose. When I went out the bus stop into town is every few mins and opposite the hotel. Number 30 or 31 and is £2.20 into town. The area itself looks very rough so make sure your car is secure. The hotel has free Wi-Fi but I didn't take my ipad for fear of break in. Came back at 2.45am in a taxi advertised on the hotel key which cost £4.75, don't know why people say its miles from the city centre because it isn't. In my drunken state I went to the wrong room, number 9 instead of 8 and unlocked the door with my key, I immediatley realised my mistake and left locking the door behind me! Fortunately no-one was in! The next morning I went for a shower and to my dismay someone had pooed in the shower, totally disgusting so I gave that a miss and reported it to the Reception. He didn't seem bothered as if it was the norm. Went for breakfast which was awful, stale cornflakes, full fat milk and mouldy croissants so skipped that and took a takeaway black coffee. Checked out and reported the key issue but didn't seem that bothered either.

Room Tip: Do not take your wife or girlfriend, they would be gutted
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends