“It was a bed for the night - not much else”
Review of Newcastle Rooms

and 1 more site!
Newcastle Rooms
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“It was a bed for the night - not much else”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

What can I say. The outside of the building is lovely and was easy to get from Newcastle Train Station to there by bus (stop right outside - helpful bus driver!) inside it's not good. Our room was a bit smelly - damp. The room was very very small. The smoke alarm was missing from the ceiling which did cause some panic when I noticed the fire stickers were painted over also. The shower had no curtain in our room - only mentioned in case you get a shock of water everywhere including dry clothes. The bed was actually comfortable and was the only reason I gave a two rating. Free breakfast included? - I'd give it a miss - stale cross isn't a few cereals and coffee in polystyrene cups! All in all it was rubbish but again as mentioned - it was a bed for the night if anything

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gary H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Got there eventually as taxi driver from city centre didn't even know where it was, taxi cost £9 to go 2 mile. Arrived and guy at desk was not very friendly, showed me to room 42, top floor, no lift. Key didn't work properly, he didn't give out any information such as where the toilet was or any of the facilities. No breakfast, not even the continental as advertised. The room very basic, no hot running water, broken drawers on chest of drawers and bedside cabinet. Cracked and peeling paint all over heater, the blind covering the window didn't fit or work due to the pull cord being broke. The bed was high but comfy enough although the sheets had moth holes, but it was clean. There was a broken socket and a large crack on the ceiling. Until late at night and from 6 in the morning the only thing I heard were people banging doors, apart from that had a peaceful nights sleep. No tv in the room, I believe they charge extra for this, however, I was not told this at the time nor was I told about the tv and dining room. The 24 hour reception was unmanned when I left at 9.30 next morning.

• Stayed August 2014
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I booked this place I read a review that said "you get what you pay for".

I was not expecting much because prices were cheap and no promises made. However, I did book the priciest option the hotel had - rooms with attached baths. When we checked in we were told that even though we did have an attached bath (two rooms sharing the same bath) there was no hot water! This made our 2 night stay extremely difficult indeed! I had paid for the bath but we could not use it!

Very basic place but had good wifi. Rooms were of a decent size with high ceilings. Beds were mattresses placed on fake wooden (MDF?) boxes. No room service. Rooms smell musty. Sofa in our room was completely collapsed. The interior decorator either needs to be fired or given a 'Tips for basic decoration' book, depending on how closely they are linked to the hotel owners ... lol! However, since we were on a seriously tight budget and I wanted to spend on other things, this was okay. It was just for 2 nights and we were out of the hotel from early morn to late night. I just wish I had got what I paid for - an attached bath that I could use.

I guess if you are on a budget, and you are young, and can travel a bit rough, this would be an okay choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AparnaS

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had no faults with this place when I stayed last November as it was a good place to put your head down after a night out in Newcastle! We was hardly in the room as they were very small so we literally used this place to have a few bevvies before a night out and a kip after the night out, you get what you pay for with this place, trust me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
edinburgh
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is by far one of the worst hotels i think i have every stayed at. My friend booked it for £129 for the night for a room of 3 so was £43 each. On travelling i thought it must be a decent place for the price we are paying, how i was so wrong.

The area the hotel is not in the nicest of area, thats what we were told by many people we spoke to who are actually from Newcastle when we were out. In fairness the building does look quite nice from outside and thats the only positive thing i have to say about the place.

We arrived about 10:30am and knew it would be to early to check in but thought we would try it anyway and could just leave our bags there. Before we went up to the reception we said that if we can't check in we will just take our bags with us and not leave them with the hotel.

We were asked for the money when checking in which was fine but money had been taken from my friends account, but they said that no money is ever taken from someones bank account. *My friend opened up his online banking and showed it to them, even though it said the transaction along with the name of the hotel they still denied taking the money. Eventually we called for the manager who came and sorted it out and even though our room was ready and nobody had been it the night before, they charged us £10 to get into our room early, this is not what any hotel has ever done to me in the past as that service would mean you would never go back to it. For £129 a night you could stay in a 5 star hotel but as it was just a few of us on a stag my friend just booked this one.

The rooms are horrible and decor and bedding also terrible, we had views onto a courtyard that was full of rubbish and there window to a garden that is over growing and not been touched in many a year.

I would recommend this place to anyone, not even people on stag or hen parts. Had to share a toilet with other rooms and people being sick in it all morning, horrid.

All round terrible place to stay, i would rather sleep on the street or pitch a tent in a field next time i am in Newcastle for a weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank McPherson9
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Went to stay here the weekend for my friends 21st was a group of 6 of us.

We were told we could check in at 11am got there and were told we could not check in until 2pm.
Sat in the lounge area, that was very dust and smelt vile.
Finally got told we could go up to our rooms, up we went along the narrow corridors that stunk
Got in to the room and at first glade looked ok, On further inspection we were horrified, There was spit marks all over the wall, the mattress had rude words on it, the shower was dirty, there was dried blood on another mattress, the windows were painted shut the blinds were broken, My friend asked for her money back, was told it would take upto three days, Once she told the manager she had pictures of the room and was going to environmental agency about the hotel he was fast enough and telling us to leave, however she did get her money back after them trying to con and keep the money.

PLEASE DONT BE FOOLED BY THE PRICE ...
I would highly recommend finding somewhere to stay it was about a 2 hour walk from the city centre, the staff spoke in there own language in front of us, which i find extremely rude,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kenzie14
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Dont go, this hotel was a disgrace. I walked in and the floor was like a local swimming bath. Upon arrival i said my name was andrew and the woman who could barely speak english kept calling me andreo. She handed me the key and the wifi password which was presented like a phone number in a cheap bar aka written on a scrap bit of paper. Walking up the creeky stairs was the next part of this horror story, with the smell of an alcoholics carpet after he just spilled his saturday takeaway on it! We entered the room and there it was...up ****creek without a paddle. My partner immediately had to get her deodorant and perfume to make an attempt to improve the stench! There was a sink and no towel OR BATHROOM! To which i was later told was not included in the STANDARD ROOM! The only necessity in the room was a tacky old wooden chair but again it missed the required rope to go along with it to put me out of this misery! Opening the cupboard door within in our room was basically...nothing? A room big enough for a toilet but not a thing, no coat hanger, no light, basically no idea what it was...maybe it was a room to mope in at the thought i had actually paid money to be here! There was another cupboard which contained small...shelfs? At this point i had to apologise to my partner for what i had put her through. I looked out the window at this 1980s horror scene view of thick leaves on the grass as if some pale creepy individual would be looking back at me...lucky me, there wasnt...just a shellshocked girlfriend behind me looking for that rope! I sat at the end of the bed in dissapointment...flingin myself back on to the bed, realising i had just created a snow angel of dust! At this point i hadn't unpacked and decided enough was enough (10 minutes). I walked down to the receipton and asked for a taxi to be phoned and that i would like to check out. The woman basically wasn't suprised and we explained about the toilet and all she could say was that we did not book an en-suite. I was going to wait for my taxi in the receipton but again with the smell i decided against it, lifting a map and booking another hotel asap. So basically for 2 nights i paid 120 for a view of a dump and what was a complimentary map! As i explained earlier, dont go...tent it, even buy a pack of black bin bags to put yourself in with a couple of airholes but as for newastle rooms....dont go!

• Stayed July 2014