“Danced to our feet hurt”
Review of Hoochie Coochie

Hoochie Coochie
More attraction details
Owner description: An city centre venue dedicated to Soul & Funk music exclusively. Regularly features high quality artists in an intimate environment, both national & International. Widest selection of spirits in Newcastle.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Danced to our feet hurt”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

What a fabulous night as Hoochie Coochie virgins. Thomas Brown Affair feat. Kenny thomas. Top class.
The clientele made the atmosphere special. Those we spoke to had travelled quite a distance to attend, that speaks volumes for this place. All staff were friendly, welcoming and chatty.....a credit to the club.

Paul.

Warren T, Owner at Hoochie Coochie, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First visit but definitely not the last!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We visited on Friday night (25th July) for the Thomas Brown Affair. As soon as we arrived, we felt at home. The club is intimate without being overbearing. The ambience was friendly and relaxed and the clientele were of all ages, so you didn't feel out of place. We had a few drinks before Kenny and the band did their thing (the bar has a great variety of drinks). Kenny and co didn't disappoint and due to the intimacy of the venue, you felt very much part of the experience. We stayed afterwards for a few more drinks, enjoying classic soul/funk/disco tunes from the 70's onwards. Before we knew it, it was 'chucking out time' (time does fly when you're having fun!). Thumbs up Hoochie Coochie - we'll definitely be back! :)

1 Thank Alison B
Warren T, Owner at Hoochie Coochie, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review, your comments are much appreciated
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Kenny Thomas”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Another fab night in the Hoochie watching Kenny Thomas . Thanks Warren for the best night out for miles !!!!! Looking forward to Alexander O Neal in September .

Warren T, Owner at Hoochie Coochie, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks for the review Alison , much appreciated.
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Re Door staff by Ashley S”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am a regular visitor to Hoochie Coochie, my friends and I have had many a good night there with its great music and atmosphere. I was one of the young ladies Ashley S mentioned in his review. I was appalled at the doormans behaviour on Saturday evening. We arrived at the club just after 10pm and me and my 2 friends were told the club was full and unless we had a platinum card we could not go in. We watched quite a few people leave the club and others walking in the club without showing cards, obviously the doorman knew these people and just let them in. We stated that it was so unfair. The young man (Ashley S) politely asked the doorman to allow us in. The aggression and attitude of one of the doorman was totally out of order. He refused to allow the young man to return to the club. We don't need doorman like him in Newcastle, he will give the club a bad name. He obviously just wanted to show his authority. I hope the manager reads this review and deals with him appropriately.

14 Thank Penny1232014
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Door staff”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Its definitely true to say that our crowd love Hoochie Coochies Warren, we are regulars and have been to many of the gigs, recently enjoying a blinder of a night with Lonnie Liston Smith, truly amazing!
Last night was a celebration so we had a booth booked, we were in by 9 and bopping to the tunes, I popped out for a fag within 40 minutes only to be told by an incredibly unfriendly doormen that I wasn't coming back in, boom!
All I did was ask if three young ladies could get in!
I explained that I had lots of friends inside and we were celebrating a birthday but couldn't believe his attitude, he just kept saying 'my decision is final'. A few of our friends including my wife came out and tried to get him to change his mind but no chance, it was all about his macho image by this time, my wife asked to see the manager who was instantly taken to 1 side by the doorman who visibly exaggerated the whole situation, to suit his decision.

A good night was abruptly ended by this rude doorman making a rash decision,

All in all a fantastic club Warren but an improvement would be for your doorman to be a bit friendlier and prior to making a crazy decision like he did could have said, 'hey you, don't interrupt' or 'mind your own business' but no, he was happier to ruin everyone's night!

7 Thank Ashley S
Warren T, Owner at Hoochie Coochie, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Ashley, I am fully aware of this incident as it was reported to me. I would not wish to respond here on Trip Advisor & can be contacted should you wish to do so @ info@hoochiecoochie.co.uk . Our doormen are not rude, they have a job to do implementing the policies of the club, but this does not include allowing customers to determine who gains entry to the club for reasons that I am sure you can understand. Regards.