“Tasty, healthy portions and reasonably priced”

Zapatista Burrito Bar
Price range: US$5 - US$6
Cuisines: Mexican, Fast food, Central American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: GRAB A FISTFUL OF MEXICAN FLAVOURS - NEWCASTLE'S FIRST MEXICAN BURRIO BAR. Description Newcastle's first Mexican Burrito Bar. We have two restaurants in Newcastle city centre. Located on Grainger Street across from Central Station and Ridley Place. Zapatista Burrito Bar & Mexican Restaurant in Newcastle upon Tyne. Fresh, Delicious and Healthy authentic tacos, burritos, nachos made with love.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Tasty, healthy portions and reasonably priced”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Zapatista is a 'burrito bar' that packs your choice of nachos, fajitas or tacos with a selection of tasty meat and various toppings from a lively looking little restaurant for sit down meals (for which beer is available) and take away.

Having never been to Mexico or really tasted authentic Mexican fajitas and so on, I can't say how close to the mark Zapatista is to serving the real deal but I don't really care because what they do provide is tasty and does exactly what it says on the tin.

My girlfriend and I have been to Zapatista quite often as a result when we've been in the mood for a weekend treat and something a bit more exciting than pizza or what have you.

Having been to similar places in London that really didn't offer the same bang for your buck, I'm happy to report that Zapatista don't scrimp on the portions and we've always gone away with a healthy sized box of whatever we asked for.

Food on offer consists of your choice of nachos, tacos or fajitas with or without a meat topping (spicy beef, sweet pork, chicken, chorizo etc) plus all the usual additions like guac, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, salad and rice but also a range of different pinto beans as well as salsas, which is great to experiment with and keep things interesting!

They also go to the trouble of making cheese sauce for Nachos which I like - not a fan of a bag of doritos with grated cheese melted on using a microwave which you find in a lot of places.

Only criticism I can think of is that when the food is 'assembled' (much like in Subway), you may get different results or quantities based on who's doing it and how busy it is which is fair enough really - if you're not happy with how much you're being given, just ask politely; don't bite your tongue and leave unhappy. When we've asked for a little more of something, we've always been kindly obliged.

Staff are consistently nice and friendly and the restaurant is clean too. Expect to pay about £5 - £6 per portion, depending on what extras you get which we think is very reasonable. Give it a go if you feel like something different, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Newcastle
“Quick lunch your way”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good quick stop for lunch - set up is similar to Subway; choose your burrito / nachos etc. fillings, sauces by 'hotness' and associated sides. A substantial lunch and drink should set you back no more than a fiver and plenty of choice, free wifi and a pleasant sitting area. Way better than other fast-food options in the area.

• Visited March 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Tasty lunch stop ”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent lunch time snack to eat in and relax or take out to eat in the city.

Sweet pulled pork burrito is very tasty and reasonably priced at about £5.

There is however a 30p charge to use your card which is annoying!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“My new favourite place”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Me and my burrito brother love to hit this place up whenever we get the chance. Great food at low prices.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful Mexican food”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

For my fellow Americans nostalgic for Chipotle, this is the closest you will get in Newcastle! A cute little burrito bar with sparse high-top seating downstairs (more seating upstairs I think). It's tucked away on a side street off of the main pedestrian road.

So first you choose "your dish": burrito, fajita, tacos, chili and rice, nachos, salad bowl, or "naked" burrito (minus tortilla. How this differentiates from the salad, I do not know). Then you can pick which meat you want (chicken, beef, pork, chili, veggie) and which beans (mild pinto or spicy black), a variety of salsas, and extras like cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.

Sooooo I got a salad bowl, which was actually pretty humongous. Big bed of lettuce, then they asked if I wanted raw peppers and onions or cooked ones (a nice touch - I chose cooked). They asked if I wanted coriander and lime rice (yes), and the meat I chose was chicken. I got medium salsa (chunky with tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños), spicy black beans, and cheese on top at the end. Big plate of food! And for about £6.

And you know, I liked it. The chicken was flavorful and had been marinated overnight I believe, the black beans were lovely, and the salsa was almost like a ratatouille, filled with chunky vegetables. It didn't scream authenticity, but I devoured it and enjoyed it very much.

It's a cute, colorful place with friendly students behind the counter. Everything tastes quite fresh, and though I prefer Chipotle - well, I'm in England, I can't have it! This will fulfill your craving for Mexican food for sure.