“Disappointing spa treatments ”

The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle. We look forward to providing you with a wonderful spa experience whether it be to relax, rejuvenate or invigorate. View our website for our varied and complete treatment menu. Please sign up for our daily Newsletter for the latest information on our seasonal and themed treatments for girls groups, men only and lots more. Signing up will ensure you have all the latest info on treatments, prices and offers. You will find a Newsletter pop-up subscription form as soon as you visit our website.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Disappointing spa treatments ”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Myself & a friend visited here on Wednesday using a Group on offer. Firstly, the spa cancelled our first date then I had to reschedule & they were good at accommodating us having to change due to personal circumstances. After reading reviews & being a little apprehensive as a lot of negative feedback on here, I would have to agree unfortunately.
We arrived just after 3pm, the waiting area was located right next to a business centre & you could tell was just a make shift spa like area, not very appealing on first glance. We were greeted by a young girl who seemed like she could be new as was very hesitant. She told us to take a seat & could we fill out medical questionnaires & gave us a list of treatments to pick from. We were pleasantly surprised that we had a good choice as on the offer it only states choice of a few & we had already picked prior to coming so was good we could change our options. Our offer was for 2 x 30min treatments each. My friend opted for hot stone massage & facial & I also chose hot stone massage & as I suffer with a medical condition that affects my muscles, mainly in my legs, I noticed there was a Thai leg & foot treatment, I asked the young girl if this was like a massage & she hesitated then said yes, so I opted for this one as it would help my aches & pains. She then said as our treatments didn't start until 4pm & it was only about 3.30 would we like to go down to pool area, we asked if there were seats or loungers around pool to which she replied no sorry, so we just said can you show us to changing rooms. Me & my friend were sure from reading reviews that loungers were mentioned, as people have said there aren't enough. So when she showed us where to go we went along to the pool & yes they did have loungers!! But like others have said not enough to go around also the jacuzzi wasn't working. We decided just to get changed & head back to the waiting area to be collected for our treatments. We helped ourselves to water which was dotted about, but now I'm worried after reading on here that people have said the glasses weren't changed? 2 young therapists came to collect us & were friendly & directed us to our rooms. My friend taken off one way & myself another. As we approached the treatment room I began to remember someone saying that rooms near to gym & pool are really noisy. Which rooms did we have....mine was right next to pool my friend in middle of the gym! My room was like being in a cupboard no space although it was nicely decorated. The girl pointed out that I had chosen to have the Thai leg & foot treatment but as she had noticed on my medical questionnaire about my conditions, she said she didn't think it would be suitable as it is a very rough treatment which involves pulling & stretching (not what the young girl said who advised me it was a massage!) so could she just do a massage instead! I was pleased she picked up on this as I would have ended up in a lot of pain. She told me to get undressed & she would wait outside. I lay face down on the bed & waited! She took ages to come back in. I looked at the clock & it was just after 4.10. She eventually came back in. I had stated I didn't want any conversation as I like to just relax, however that is near to impossible! There was a fan on in the room which was making all sorts of noise, I could hear the showers outside, people opening/closing door to access pool, talking people going in pool despite having music in background this was drowned out. She began the hot stones, my first time having this. It was really nice but quite noisy, I don't know if this is normal but lots of clattering about getting the stones out of the container or wherever they are kept. Then when she moved to my legs I thought there's no way that was 30 mins. The leg massage was nice however she did one leg & foot then moved to other leg & spent half the time on that one & didn't even repeat full technique. She asked me to turn over & did the fronts of legs. Then rang the bell & I thought that was really quick. She said she would go get me some water & when I looked at clock it was only 4.50!! Which means in total my 2 treatments only last 40 mins instead of 1 hour! She waited outside for me & then said can you remember which way to go & I walked back on my own. Usually at other spas the therapist takes you back? I went to wait for my friend who appeared at same time & she said same that the treatments were over quickly. She enjoyed the hot stones but the stones were not left next to her back whereas mine were all placed down each side. She said her facial was not best she has had & felt rushed. We just headed back to get changed & left! We were pleased we hadn't paid full price for this. I have had much better service else where. Although the treatments were ok i did not get full benefit as didn't get enough time to enjoy, also the environment is not relaxing at all. Very disappointed.

2 Thank Stephanie C
RachaelTheOceanRooms, Manager at The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Stephanie C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your spa day experience here at The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle.
After reading your review it appears we have clearly not met our desired aim of providing our guests with a pleasant and enjoyable spa experience. I would like to express my most sincere apologies to you for that, the issues you have highlighted I would be keen to discuss with you in more detail and put your mind to rest. Please feel free to email me at Rachael@theoceanrooms.com and I can discuss these with you.
Thank you again for your valuable time.
Kindest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cramlington, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not for a quiet relaxing time”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited recently to use the facilities and had booked two treatments. I received a phone call the day before to confirm my booking. On arrival I chose my treatments and was then taken through to the changing area. Once I got to the pool area I noticed that the jacuzzi wasn't working, there were very few loungers to relax on and I only got a drink of water after hunting down a member of staff. The treatments I received were ok, although have had better elsewhere. But the major downside is that for a relaxing peaceful massage you really don't need to hear the gym equipment and people talking loudly right outside the treatment room. Fully relaxing it wasn't. I did complete a feedback questionnaire at the end though to inform the staff. Not sure I would go back. Maybe some indication of the lack of jacuzzi during the confirmation phone call might have been better.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Michelle D
Dear Michelle D,

Thank you for taking valuable time to post a review about your recent spa day experience with us.
Following your comments I must apologise that you were not fully satisfied with your day with us, it is saddening to read of your disappointment.
I can assure you that your comments will be recorded and used to help make positive changes to The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle.
I hope you can return for a more pleasant and enjoyable spa day in the near future.
Kindest regards,
NEWCASTLE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“This is a con if trying to use a voucher!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Emailed them for a Friday evening appointment, got a reply confirming the appointment and that I was booked in, when I advised I had a voucher they emailed me straight back saying the appointment had gone, this was in the space of 2 minutes. When I asked what appointments they had it was very limited and at the times were the bit so popular ones likes 08.00-09.00, needless to say I complained to groupon and although I did not get my money back I did get groupon credit that last 12 months.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank TravelersRus72
RachaelTheOceanRooms, Manager at The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
It is saddening to see your disappointment following recent correspondence with our reservation team.
As a very popular spa we do get extremely busy and I can only apologise to you that your desired appointment time was not available.
It is great to see that Groupon have reimbursed you with credit to use.
My most sincere apologies again, I hope in future you can attend The Ocean Rooms Spa and have a pleasant experience.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor show for the Hilton”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The spa and pool it's self were fine . I relaxed before my massage for an hour . My appointment was for 5.15pm . At 5.30pm a very inexperienced therapist arrived to say I had booked a totally different treatment than I had . She didn't apologise for being late or mention there had been a mistake in my booking . She was completely out of her depth and very new to the job . I told her that I wanted the treatment I had booked so she better go and get the manager . Also very inexperienced . Anyway I eventually was told I could have the treatment I had book and low and behold my inexperienced therapist had the pleasure of doing it . The therapy room was dirty and didn't look like it had been changed fro the client before . I was having a facial and massage which should have been 1 and a half hours took 1 hour 10 and I was left feeling frustrated and cross very poor standard for the Hilton .

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day experience here at The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience or confusion which may have occurred on your previous spa day with us.
I can assure you all team members are trained to what we believe to be the highest possible standard and can only apologise that you feel our team appear to be inexperienced.
Unfortunately on the day of your treatments it wasn’t myself the Spa Manager you spoke to therefore if you do wish to discuss your experience in more detail I would be more than happy to assist. Please feel free to email me on Rachael@theoceanrooms.com
Thank you again for your time.
York, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Massage and pedicure never again”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Took my Man here for mothers day she had a head massage and pedicure and I had Back massage and pedicure.
Staff were friendly but head massage was done lying on back with head on a pillow so only round her face got treatment (weird, get better treatment from hairdressers). Pedicure was a file and a polish certainly not worth the money.
My massage was great but pedicure was very painful, cuticles treated with no creams and my nails were cut so short it was painful to walk also when filing my toes were filed more than my nails.
Very dissapointed especially since last time (2 years ago) I was here I had a great experience

Visited April 2014
1 Thank iloveGB
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent spa experience here at The Ocean Rooms Spa Newcastle.

It is great to see you felt the staff are friendly and you enjoyed your massage however I must express my apologies to you as you mentioned you did not enjoy your pedicure which is saddening to hear. Your comments will be taken on board.

Thank you again for your time.