“Always a pleasure!”

Price range: US$3 - US$16
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Traditional cafe and ice cream parlour, run by the Marcantonio family, who have been making ice cream in Newcastle since 1892. Handmade ice creams and sorbets, plus fresh, home-cooked food from breakfasts to early evening meals, delicious coffees, sandwiches and cakes.
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I've been visiting here for as long as I can remember, granny and granda used to take me when I was little! Popped in for lunch today had a jacket potato with cheese savory it was lovely, side salad was a bit sad but we'll blame the warm weather, kids meals are great value too! Could not manage an icecream but if your going soon we recommend the black magic or banana boat sundaes and my mam loves the tootie fruity icecream! Great memories. See you again soon!

Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you very much for you kind comments, we hope you'll visit us again soon - and remember to keep some space for an ice cream!

There are newer reviews for Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had brunch here after clubbing all night and both had the omlette. I had it with prawns, mushrooms and cheese. I alsmost couldn't finish it. We also had it with salad. I am not sure about the salad. It came with a regular green salad, coleslaw and potato salad with rice. I ate around all that and just had the omlette and the green salad which was very good. We also had smoothies (I had strawberry, my friend had blueberry). Totally recommend it!

Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review, we are very happy that you enjoyed your omelette - just the thing to help you recover after a good night on the town! We'd love to see you again if you are ever back in Newcastle.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Every time I visit Newcastle I pop in to Grainger Market and have an all day English breakfast at Mark Toneys. For £4.95 you get egg, beans, tomatoes, bacon, sausage, hash brown, toast, butter and coffee or tea... a real bargain served by the hard working and very pleasant Helga. It's a small and friendly old fashioned café and they offer a variety of meals,(pensioner specials) snacks and desserts (and of course their famous ice cream) Please don't modernise it and spoil it's charm!

2  Thank Brenda201049
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a Geordie tradition, ice cream is excellent. Accepidly still 1960s but its nice. For some reason my partners grandfather fell out with Mark A the founder. His icecream premises was next to his printing business. Despite this the family still went to Mark A's but didn't tell grandad.

2  Thank Bob H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been coming here for about 25 years and haven't noticed the place change even a little- and that is a great thing.

If I'm brutally honest, it is far far too expensive when you look at the decor etc..., it is easy to spend £15 on a 2 course meal with a milk shake in surroundings that look more like builders cafe than a quality establishment.

However this is the only place in Newcastle you can escape the streets and tuck into a hand made knickerbocker glory and the like, and for that reason I hope it stays forever!

The food is proper home cooking too, and they will make you whatever you want, however you like it.

I quite often have my main meal in a better restaurant in Newcastle but skip pud to come here for a fab ice cream sundae, and I'd recommend you do to!!!