“A great secret place!”

Ranked #146 of 1,286 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Here at the Istanbul Restaurant, cooking is our passion.We use only the finest and freshest ingredents to create Mediterranean dishes that will fill your belly and warm your heart. After experience your taste buds will Thank You :-)
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Eat here often. Brilliant staff. Great menu and good food. Lots of veggie choices. Excellent value for your money. Love it.

3  Thank thequiettraveller52
There are newer reviews for Istanbul Cafe & Bistro

Reviewed 10 March 2013

My wife, her sister, and I and our 21 month old son went here for lunch on Saturday the 9th of March.

Istanbul is tucked away amongst the travel shops and is on the first floor above a sandwich shop. It is open every day until 9pm.

Its menu is Turkish and Eastern Mediterranean though it also does breakfasts. We were made to feel very welcome as soon as we walked in and throughout our time there.

The owners have clearly tried to give this a proper Middle Eastern feel. There were private booths with big tables (for six - eight at a pinch) and there were even low tabled Bedouin style booths. The restaurant is split across two floors with the booths having their own little order bell - a nice touch.

My sister in law is a vegetarian and there was lots of choice for her- she opted for the mixed cold mezze as a main. My wife ordered the mixed hot mezze and I had the lamb stew (I cannot remember the name of if but it was first on the list).

No alcohol was for sale so we had tea and sparkling water.

The food was delicious and well presented. Both mixed mezze's were more than enough as a main. My wife had amongst others: Turkish meatballs, feta cheese filo pastries, hallumi cheese and falafels, with my sister in law enjoying homemade hummus, and aubergine dips amongst others. My lamb stew was hearty and the portion generous. It was very tasty without being spicy.

Having lived out in the Middle East I am particular about the authenticity of the food and this didn't disappoint. The only thing I would say would improve matters is that I would have liked flatbread instead of the ordinary bread - but having said that the bread provided was nice.

We will go again for sure.

3  Thank MarsdenRattler
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I've been to Istanbul Cafe & Bistro twice now. The first time was as a couple after it had just opened. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced so I returned with a large group of friends a month or so later. Both times the quality of the food and service was excellent.

4  Thank David365
Reviewed 7 January 2013

food was lovely, staff friendly and helpful as 1 diner didn't want 'to spicy' cwould recommend for lunch

4  Thank 20cass08
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

Was recommended to visit by a friend, was really impressed.

Received a warm welcome, food was fresh and delicious. The staff were so helpful and friendly too.

I will return