“A piece of local history that takes you back to how people lived during World War 2.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Victoria Tunnel

Victoria Tunnel
More attraction details
Owner description: Advance booking is essential for Newcastle's Hidden Heritage,winner of 2013 NE Tourism Gold Award as Best Small Visitor Attraction. A preserved nineteenth century waggonway dug under the city from The Town Moor 2.5 Miles to the Tyne. Built to transport coal from Spital Tongues (Leazes Main) Colliery to the river. At outbreak of WW2 was converted into an air raid shelter to protect up to 9 thousand Newcastle citizens during deadly bombing raids. Follow your guides underground to discover the tunnel's fascinating history. Advance booking is essential - please contact the Ouseburn Trust or visit the website for more information.
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

A well preserved piece of local history. The tour guides give a history of the area and of the tunnel, and an explanation of the tunnel's historic features, most of which are the remains from its time as an air raid shelter.

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“This is an absolute MUST!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Cannot believe the tour that you get for just £5 - we were underground for over 2 hours! Our guides - Kev & Jen - were brilliant! Very funny and informative. The tunnel itself is amazing and the surrounding area (where the tour started) really beautiful - just wish I'd had more time to explore above ground. We were only in Newcastle for the weekend - I'm so pleased I booked this. The history of the tunnel is fascinating, both the Victorian period and WW2. I'd definitely recommend going (... so long as you're ok with the semi-darkness! Don't worry though, you do all have torches!)

A big thank you to Kev who gave us a taxi number (and spoke to the taxi firm when they didn't understand me!) and made sure we made our train on time.

Brilliant afternoon!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Educational & very interesting! Highly recommend this tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I went on a tour of the tunnel with my Fiance & Dad on June 28th and what a fab time we had! This is something we had wanted to do for a while as we have heard so many great reviews... and have finally got round to it!
The tour was held by Kerry & Claire and was made into a fun & personable tour due the extensive knowledge of the area, predominantly from family stories that were shared throughout... it really made the tour have a special feel to it!
I never knew so much about an area that I have lived near for the majority of my life and would highly recommend this tour to both locals and anyone else wanting to get to know some real history of our fantastic city!

3 Thank jo41782
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely lovely experience! Definitely worth a try!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have gone on the tour with the student union of Newcastle university on March 12th, and I thought it was wonderful. So I decided that I'm going to do an interpreting project with the tunnel. Today I finished the project. It was absolutely fantastic. The guides, Donald and Jen were very experienced and nice. All my friends liked them very much. And the tunnel coordinator Mr Goodwin also gave me a lot of help during the arrangement process. Two of my friends even asked to voulunteer for them! Lovely lovely experience! Definately worth a try! Recommend to all!

1 Thank Jhum C
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Excellent tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We just had to see this: Newcastle's top attraction is a hole in the ground?! I almost didn't expect other people to be joining us. But there was a small group of people, not busloads of international tourists, but a comfortable small group. Our guides, Kelly and Clare were very competent and definitely added a personal touch, being from the area. They really brought the tunnel and surrounding area to life and we learned a surprising amount in the two hours. It was interesting and entertaining. Wear solid shoes that you don't mind getting dirty.

1 Thank Hilaria F