“Enjoyable”

The Chill Out Cafe
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
Description: The Chill Out Cafe Indian Fusion & Gujarati CuisineCome and experience the flavours
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Visited with my husband on a Tuesday evening.There was another couple and us.The place is cosy and the food(although there isn't a huge menu) is good!We had a voucher so it was good value.Would return.

1 Thank deadredhead

“Do not go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Went on a groupon voucher, choice very limited, food was bland and no atmosphere. Our mains although different meals appeared to have the same sauce and taste just different heat strengths, a torn raggy curtaint separated the kitchen from the cafe. It is clearly meant for students, after a night on the drink, very disappointed and will not return :-(

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“All heat no taste”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

We got a Groupon voucher. I like currys but my wife is not too keen on them. She likes mild currys or medium with flavour. Unfortunately, this place provided heat but NO flavour at all unless you consider loosing the feeling in your mouth because the food is way to spicy (even when mild is requested). The staff were friendly but not experienced at all. The wait for our meal was very long despite the restaurant being quiet. Our waitress was also cooking the meal along with another lady. We did finish our meal with the help of a jug of water, because we were starving. Another thing that was extremely disappointing was the menu. All in all, there were 4 hot starters, 4 cold ones and 8 main courses (4 of them being vegetarian). You had to order sides separately which brought your bill up considerably. And it's not all, if you're looking for atmosphere, it's definitely not the place, it's totally dead but on a positive note, it's clean. All in all, not worth the trip over, even a short one!

• Visited December 2012
“Pleased we came!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Small and cosy. Warm and clean. Great friendly service absolutely no complaints on that! Didn't wait to long for food but being honest wasn't many in. Lovely spicy tasty food. Left happy and would go again.

“Not terrible but poor!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Went to The Chill Out Cafe as part of a GroupOn deal and went to the restaurant with an open mind after reading the previous reviews. Some were good and some were bad and after eating here, I'm certainly with the bad camp.
The menu consisted of a whopping three starters and three main courses with the option of rice, chips, breads, etc that could be added.
No sign of any nan breads tho!
Our table, which consisted of four, thought that the starters were canny. We all opted for a chicken tikka style dish.
As for main, I asked for a keema style curry. The curry came with peas but with myself not liking peas, I asked the waiter if I could have this dish without the peas. The answer was no! The reason being that the meals are already pre made. Scandalous!
Opted for another chicken tikka style dish which was exactly the same as my starter but a bigger portion.
A previous review stated the microwave was the star of the show and I have to agree!
We were in for just over two hours and we were constantly telling the waiter to hurry up as we had a taxi booked. Another group had been in for three hours and they were bemused with the speed of the service too.
This is certainly not your typical house and the food is certainly not freshly made to order.
There appeared to be only three people working. The waiter, a man standing by the counter not doing much and a young lass in the kitchen who must have been in charge of the microwaves.
Slow service and if I had a choice of going here again or going to the chippy over the road, the chippy would get the vote.
Two positives, you can take your own drink and the loo is clean. If the toilet is getting more positives than the food and service tho, I'd be worried if I was the boss of this place.
Get a proper chef, ditch your microwave and hurry up with the speed of service!