Cal's Own
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Restaurant/Take-Out
Reviewed 17 August 2014

On a recent trip up to Newcastle I was in much need of a bite to eat. I walked into Cal’s Own and was not disappointed. The atmosphere is one of a chilled hangout on the corner of Broadway, New York (jazz musicians playing in the background if you like). The drinks were ice cold, a welcome treat on such a sweltering day. The tunes were sweet and the waitress service second to none. The pizzas here are like nothing you get from the main high street chains – it turns out all pizzas are not created equally. There was a range of sizes, a wide choice of fresh toppings, not to mention the delicious pizza base they sat upon. The base was both light and fluffy with the perfect amount of crisp. I highly recommend Cal’s Own for a unique pizza experience.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We visited this restaurant on a recommendation and were so disappointed on so many levels
The restaurant although well decorated, clean and tidy is more a cafe than restaurant
We chose calzone from the menu @£13.50 the highest price we have ever paid.
Two of the fillings were chosen from a list, half of which were 50p extra making the pizza £14.50 We were hoping for something really special. The pizza was large but really not that nice. Certainly not what the very high price justified
The cafe does not have a licience but will allow customers to take their own alcohol charging £1 corkage. We had 2 diet cokes.
There was rapping music playing which gave both my wife and myself a headache. We were pleased to get out.
Some of the time a member of staff sat in the corner talking on his mobile phone.
WhenI went to pay the bill I was told there was a 50p charge for credit and debit card payments. I paid cash.
The cafe has been open two years.I will be supprised if it lasts another 12 months unless there are major pricing and policy changes
The only positive was that the waitress was very pleasant. I hope she is well paid.
If the bill was half what it was I would put it down to experience but still feel I was charged too much, never to return.
At £31 I feel as though I have had a run in with Dick Turpin.
My advice is not to eat at this cafe, there are so many restaurants serving good food at reasonable prices.

16  Thank b12ywe
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've been here a number of times now and had several of the choices from the menu. All the pizzas have been extremely tasty. I've not tasted pizza as good anywhere else. The service is always friendly, even when busy, and I regularly return. I would definitely recommend a visit.

3  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Cal's is the real deal. I've eaten Brooklyn pizza and can say that this measures up! Great ingredients, made by people who genuinely care about the craft. Can't wait to eat there again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Me and my partner visited Cal's Own for the first time on one of our recent trips back up north. What a find! Definitely a new favourite. Lovely ambience about the place, the staff were really genuine and accommodating, and the food was tremendous! I had the "White Pie" which was just cheesey garlicky deliciousness, the base was perfectly cooked. My partner went for the Vera Pizza Margherita with buffalo mozzarella and said it was one of the best margheritas he'd ever had. Pizzas are cheaper than most chains such as Pizza Express or Strada and definitely more tasty. Drinks are very reasonable and you can pay £1 corkage and bring your own alcohol, making it very good value overall. Can't wait to come again.

1  Thank Katee W