“Not particularly exciting.”

Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I live locally and noticed the place being done up and so waited for the hunger to strike before approaching the front door (in hindsight, may not have been a wise idea).

Finally, went in the other week and perhaps should have done a little more research before giving it a go. I and my chums were starving and it wasn't quite what we expected (wanted lots of hot grub!), so gave it a miss and returned another time.

There's a menu on a screen and whilst the food coming out looked nice enough, the choices seemed somewhat limited. I think if you're after a special treat on an afternoon and fancy spending a few quid, then this may be your spot (or maybe I'm just a little too young for the place!). Though be warned, if you've got vegetarians / vegans (picky eaters) with you, you may need to contact the place in advance or think about going else-where.

Wasn't too sure the staff knew what was going on during a busy period - reminiscent of ye olde fawlty towers - had to wait a little too long to order and receive my coffee (I'm a shy bairn but I'm sure others would have complained).

The decor is sparse and the place is in need of a warm touch (or just a little more atmosphere).

It's new so perhaps in time all this will blossom - let's hope so! But not for me for now.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

This is a new cafe opened on Heaton Road. Inside is bright and attractive with a grand piano, art work and stripped floors. We went on a Sunday late morning and the service was friendly and personal. My ony gripe was a linited cake menu-just croissants, cupcakes and a chocolate cake. they also do sandwiches and in then run up to Christmas at weekends very delcious sounding afterrnon teas which I think you book in advance and pais a fixed price for a range of drinks, cakes, sandwiches etc, about £12 a head. As we were leaving they put more cakes out. They also do ploughmans lunches. There is a sofa area and it seemed popular with arange of people inclusing young mothers. It is unlicenced but I think you could ask to BYO.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

This cafe has been the item of many whispers and excited rumors for quite some time and now that is has opened it has really stepped up to everything I hoped it to be and more.

I have now visited the cafe time and time again for many different reasons and each time I am more impressed than the last, I have been with friends and family as well as to go by myself and sit and do my work with a cup of tea. The music of a good volume and the tunes played are not disruptive to a conversation or a worker,

The decor and atmosphere of The Wild Trapeze is warm and welcoming, it is a thoroughly interesting venue and well suited to a huge variety of people, I would highly recommend that anyone should visit even if it is just to see the array of art work on the walls, especially the painting hanging up above the door (clearly someone has a good sense of humor).

From the food menu I have tried the afternoon tea, ploughmans and chicken and chorizo sandwich and each are fantastic. The chef is very talented and creative and the food is worth trying just to try something a little different and inventive, which is becoming harder and harder to come by in the north east unless you pay a huge amount of money at restaurants such as Six at the Baltic.
It would be great to see the business being expanded sometime soon to include hot food and hot breakfasts, which I have previously queried the staff on and they have mentioned it is something they are currently developing.

My friends have tried the cupcakes and often rave and recommend them to other people so if you give and you don't fancy a full meal it might be worth trying them!

They have clearly thought hard about their coffee and tea supplier as they have chosen quality over price value and this shows, they have a huge array of tea choices and the coffee is a great flavor (and very pretty with patterns on top).
Personally I recommend the Blue Lady and Jasmine tea.

Well worth a visit, even if it is a one off to have a cup of tea and snoop and to form your own opinion of the place. I personally hope they do very well and look forward to them hopefully expanding and seeing their take on quirky hot food and not just super pretty and exquisite tasting cakes and lunch menu.

2  Thank rouxlover
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I hope this review is taken as intended in good spirit. I’m only writing this review as I would love to see The Wild Trapeze succeed. There are a number of good places for a spot of lunch on Heaton Road but The Wild Trapeze is something new. I drive past on my way to work every day and waited in anticipation for it to open. I visited for the first time about 4 weeks ago and for the last 3 weeks I’ve visited every Friday lunchtime, a trend which was set to continue until today.

Until today I have always experienced great food and service. I’m not entirely sure what went wrong today but I waited for 40 minutes and still had not been served my drink let alone food. Since I only get an hour for lunch like most working folk this clearly was a problem. I ended up leaving hungry and disappointed. There seems to be a lack of communication as to who is doing what. Two lovely young guys run the place and it seems there’s just too much to do for the two of them. A couple of my colleagues had also decided to try The Wild Trapeze for the first time today and unfortunately they’ve come to the conclusion they won’t go back. I work nearby in an office of over 100 people and we often try new places which are recommended. I hope this was a one off but I can’t say I’m keen to try again without reassurances that things have changed…..

2  Thank Newcastle09
Anphonics, Owner at The Wild Trapeze, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Dear Newcastle09,

We would like to apologise for the service you received this past Friday. It is inexcusable for you to have been left at your table for such an amount of time.

As one of our valued and regular customers, we would like to make it up to you by offering a complementary lunch.

We are unfortunately still a new business and are only able to run on two or three staff at present since opening within the last month. We hope you give us the opportunity to correct our mistakes.

Apologies and kind regards,