“Afternoon Tea was delicious”
Review of The Wild Trapeze

The Wild Trapeze
Ranked #274 of 1,287 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$4 - US$27
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2014

After reading the revues I was really looking forward to trying the Afternoon Tea and The Wild Trapeze.
I sent them a message first as we hadn't booked in and they messaged me straight back letting me know that it would be fine.
We arrived at 2pm ( parking is a nightmare), the place was full but a table became free as we went in. We placed our order and was told the table would be cleared soon ( 10mins before it was cleared but not cleaned).
Afternoon Tea came and it consisted of 2x beef & horseradish, 2x salmon & cream cheese & 2x egg mayonnaise sandwiches, 2x fruit scones and then a selection of sweet bites ( 2x macaroons, 1x lemon tart & 1x chocolate cream slice) and every bite was delicious!
There are 2 reasons why I didn't give this place full marks:
1: The service was quite slow, we waited 20mins for our coffees to arrive & a further 10mins for our food.
2: It would have been nicer if there had been a better split of sweet & savoury ( 1x fruit scone & 1x cheese scone).
Also just be aware that this place is very child & baby friendly which is nice but not so nice if your a couple of adults looking for somewhere for a bite to eat/coffee and a catch up.

1  Thank Michelle L
Anphonics, Owner at The Wild Trapeze, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for your review! We appreciate it!

We are glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea too. Thank you for coming in and trying it.
As we may have said when you spoke to us on Facebook, our afternoon tea is changing to pre booking only. The afternoon tea is very labour intensive, and each one is made to order (instead of preparing sandwiches and sweets and having them sitting all day as many places do!) this accompanied with other tables orders makes it pretty intensive for the kitchen staff.

With booking, afternoon tea will be ready and waiting for customers upon their arrival which is much nicer :)

We like to cater for everyone and are aware that a lot of parenting groups take place in the area on a Thursday and sometimes a Friday.

We hope to see you again,

Kind regards,

Anthony

There are newer reviews for The Wild Trapeze

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Had a late breakfast here one saturday after walking past many times. Coffee was excellent and eggs benedict one of the best ive ever had. They also have a very nice range of teas. I will definitely be going back

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was out with a friend for the day, and she was keen to take me here. It's lovely to see somewhere different and with character, and the unusual artwork (the painting of the Queen and Prince Philip over the door made me laugh out loud when I noticed it!) made it an interesting place to lunch. Although still early, we decided to have the afternoon tea for two at £15. Service was a bit slow, but as my friend and I had a lot of catching up to do, this wasn't a problem for us.
The sandwiches were delicious, and the choice of cakes was good - except with them all being different, there were choices to be made........and with me being too generous for my own good, I let my friend choose first, and of course she picked the very cakes I'd had my eye on.
Ah well, I suppose it means I will just have to go back.........

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I've visited this place on several occasions and I am so thrilled to have found it. The atmosphere is calm and welcoming, the staff are very low key, they don't rush you and they're always very polite. I love the quirkiness of the place, the food is delicious, the menu is fab, lots of choice! Thank you for so many wonderful visits, we will be back! Ps we LOVED the Christmas tree!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Had afternoon tea early December as a work get together alternative to usual over priced Christmas fayre. Good value at £15 between two. Wide range of teas available. Paid £1 extra for Chai latte, which was interesting and worth a try. Good variety of finger sandwiches, meat, smoked salmon, egg. No cheese scone included although written on the menu list, the proprietor stated this was no longer available and they were waiting for New menu to reflect this. I thought this was poor as would expect and like savoury alternative to the one fruit scone. Good fruit scone with jam and cream divided between two. Cakes choices were a shot glass measure of Eton mess, lemon tart, chocolate and banana square and another chocolate tart. Unfortunately my colleague didn't like chocolate which mean't my cake choice was a bit limited. Would like another option instead of two very similar chocolate items and this coming from a chocolate lover! Atmosphere was relaxing and casual decor, supplemented with a lovely Christmas tree. Parking on side street was surprisingly easy, so convenient. Worth a visit, would try savoury option next time though :)