“Really disappointing - slowest service we've ever had”
Review of Aroma Tandoori - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We've been going to the Aroma for years and years - and know the owner. we often take friends there to introduce them to the place. It's had a couple of recent refurbishments but the food has been less good than previously.

We went again on a Friday night - there was only one other table full, and they left soon after. Nevertheless, we waited 20 minutes before even a drink was offered, and it was an hour before the food eventually arrived, some not hot, and nowhere near as tasty as previously. I'd put this down to a one-off, had it not been for slipping standards on previous visits, and its' former excellent value / good food reputation.

2  Thank Alphablack

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this restaurant based upon the recommendations from T A. From the moment I got there the staff were exceptional. The food was fantastic and our waiter really helpful and polite.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Visited on a Wednesday night as I was off work the next day. Standard Indian decor and menu although one or two different twists on the chef's specialities which looked interesting enough for me. My wife chose the Slimming World menu and pronounced herself well satisfied and well full! I had Dal Soup followed by Genghis which was chicken with mincemeat in a spicy sauce and was very nice with a tikka naan. My wife had chicken chaat without the bread and then lamb rogan josh and mushroom pilao. We both agreed it was nice and tasty and we've had far worse! The owner was the star though. He came and spoke with us because my wife tried the Slimming World menu. He was genuinely interesting and seemed to want to make his mark for future clientele. He even gave us a hand-written 2 for 1 offer as my wife had the Slimming World menu. Would I go back? I see no reason why not and I'd certainly add it to my list of enjoyable experiences.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Best restaurant on the High Street, one of the best in Newcastle. The Mon-Thu special is great value and the food is delicious.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to try Aroma after being regulars at the Days of the Raj but fancied a change. The first time we called in to the restaurant to collect our food and noticed it was quiet and decor looked a bit tired. On our first visit the food was good, although the onion bhajis were a bit over cooked. The chicken chatt was very tasty however. Main courses were substantial and the chicken meat was tender and good quality .
However, for our second order, we had a home delivery. This is what prompted my review, it was simply the best Indian meal we have had for a long time! The staff were super helpful on the phone and our order arrived within 30 mins (quoted 45). The food was hot and fresh . The chicken chatt was an explosion of flavour, our bhajis were better this time and delightfully crispy. The chicken tikka mossalla was gorgeous with large chunks of spiced marinated chicken breast, and the rogan josh was full of fresh ingredients.
I think this restaurant is a hidden gem, it always seems quiet but the food is much nicer than any other local tandoori. It's also reassuring to see it has 5 stars for hygiene from the council . Keep up the good work Aroma!!!!