“Rude Floor Manager (Bar man)”
Review of The Shire Horse

The Shire Horse
Ranked #394 of 1,302 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Well what a difference my visit here today was from my other visits. I always go to this Eatery on my visits to Newcastle and they have always been a very pleasant experience with friendly helpful staff, and on a few occasion we have made the 60 mile trip to meet up here for family birthday ect. However, today was the total opposite. It started off ok until I asked the bar man what ‘cold drinks’ he did- big mistake!! He did list the drinks but was not at all happy to do so. He was very put out because I didn’t make it clear I was asking for a ‘non alcohol’ drink! His 'body language' was rude, aggressive, sarcastic and patronising and all because I wanted a cold drink. There was just no call for his bad manners. I do believe he is the floor manager which in my opinion makes his bad attitude worse! While we were eating our food the waitress came over to ask if everything was ok and although the food was tasty it was luke warm but we didn’t dare say anything due to the altercation with the bar man. I did ask for the name of the general manager but she only knew his 1st name! Word had obviously got round as she took it upon herself to come back later and sat down beside me to make sure I wasn’t upset, although I appreciated her concerns for me I did think it was strange and somewhat unprofessional as it’s not the role of the waitress to sort out problems but the role of the manager. While she was chatting with me the other waitress were all hovering around the table to listen and the young lad who ‘cuts the meat’ at the carvery stood with his arms folded ‘glaring’ over at us and he carried on glaring at us when we left while the little rude barman shouted out his ‘thank you and goodbye’ this man is nothing more than a bully as I somehow don’t think he would have had the same attitude had a man come in and asked about the beer he sold! It’s a real shame but his rudeness has lost him customers as I would not go back!

6  Thank Lynda N

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my friend visited on a Sunday afternoon, both quite fancying a carvery.

There was a choice of three meats, I opted for the gammon (turkey and beef both looked quite dry). The gammon was average and very very fatty. There was a poor choice of about 5 vegetables. Yorkshires were clearly frozen. I won't be returning for a carvery in the near future and wouldn't recommend it.

2  Thank sophiehunter26
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my family have been here before and have always found the service very helpful and staff more than happy to help change any requirements on the menu.

The indoor and out play area is great and it's refreshing to see a pub cater for family's. My young daughter loves the indoor play area however my concern is that it's far too close to the toilets and kids running in and out clash with customers.

We noticed that there was a new menu and were eager to try it. I went for the peri peri chicken burger which is very misleading. To be at peri peri chicken burger the meat has to be marinated in the sauce at least not battered chicken breast(s) in a bun with the sauce in a serperate pot. I did like if you spent over a certain amount you got a free kids meal but due to the prices this isn't hard to do.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had our first poor visit here and hoping it's just a blip rather than change of staff or something else long term.

Everything we ordered we'd had before and everything was a whole lot poorer than any previous time.

The scampi was dry, chips greasy and onion rings left a taste that was still with me when I had my morning cuppa this morning.

Little fella had the pizza which was substandard.

The pièce de résistance however was my ham, egg n chips which I managed to get the instructions to replicate at home.

1. Put beans & sliced gammon on a plate
2. Put plate in oven until chips are ready
3. Fry 2 lovely eggs sunny side up
4. Place eggs on plate and put back in oven.
5. Start cutting chips
6. Blast oven upto scorching......

Et voila the hardest, driest ham in the history of dry, hard ham with crunchy beans and chips soaked in 6 month old fat.

1  Thank peterwhitfield
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Been here many a time and always had good service and good food but not so good when busy. Only two serving and people pushed in front of me to get served and staff just ignored this. Took complaining customer keeping queue in order for me to get served. Starter was lovely but plates left and the main never came. After 30mins had to go and complain. Food came with loads of apologies. When ordered desert and glass of wine manager came over to say they were on the house. The desert came but no wine - they forgot!! So if you want good service with good food avoid tea time rush - 5pm to 7pm.