“Excellent chinese food, delightful service, very well priced”
Review of Normans Kitchen - CLOSED

Normans Kitchen
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Saturday night about 8.00pm, the restaurant was quiet which is unfair because the local buffets were quite full although the food at Normans Kitchen is very much better and less expensive. We tried some dishes that you would find in most Chinese restaurants, however we thought the versions here much better than average. We also took our waitress' suggestion in trying some of the more traditionally Chinese dishes too. We were delighted, they were delicious. The service was extremely good, the food excellent and the bill was a pleasant surprise. We will definitely be back. We will be even more adventurous next time and try the more authentic Chinese dishes. The presentation of the restaurant does not suggest the quality of the food or service, well recommended.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I ate at Norman's Kitchen about a year ago after reading great reviews, but was left very disappointed. Then, hearing it was under new management, thought I'd give it another go. It was excellent! I'm quite surprised at some of the negative reviews. I guess all restaurant takeovers go through a transitional phase, and some people don't like the change.

I, however, thought it was far superior to my previous visit. I got chatting to the new owner who said they were going to do an exciting new refurb and that I should come see it once it's done, which I will! The staff seemed genuinely enthusiastic about customer service and the changes they would be making in the future. Overall, an excellent dining experience and a one to watch out for!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had a really positive experience thanks to good service from interested and attentive staff. I was served well presented, authentically cooked food. The ingredients were fresh and well cooked, with an added bonus when I asked for extra chilli which was not on the menu.

The decor is clean, functional and basic, typical of entry level restaurants. So please don't go if you're expecting a well designed, well appointed restaurant experience.

So how good was the value? Well I had good service, with high quality food along with, and this is the clincher, a staggering low cost for my main. So yes excellent value all round, despite the critical reviews; maybe I just got lucky huh?

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Normans Kitchen looks more like a café than a proper restaurant. Decor is cheap and dated. It felt a bit cold, I had to keep my coat on. In spite of this, it has nice things too. Staff are really nice, helpful and friendly, make you feel at home. And now the most important; the food was very good. I liked it and as Normans was very close to my hotel (Hotel Indigo) I went to the restaurant again. I had to try the Clay pot which was very tasty. Conclusion: food it fine, I wouldn't rate it as the best restaurant in Newcastle but it's fine for a good and affordable meal. Don't dress up to go there though, you'd feel a bit out of place. When I come back to Newkie I will visit it again, to try a different Clay pot. Nice place to have a nice meal while shopping around the area. As I said, I went there twice.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was the best chinese redtaurant in newcastle however after the ownership has been sold the new management and boss are horrible of food qualitiea and control. have ordred the char siu and crispy pork the other night. that was the most terrible things in the world! both of them were cold and felt like been in the fridge for 2 days!! the crispy pork not crispy instead was completely soft! char siu has no taste at all. if u dont know how to cook it just get someone elses knows how to cook. otherwise i cant see u can last long.