“Lovely food, wonderfully quirky little place”
Review of The Redhouse

The Redhouse
Ranked #106 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We walked past this pub and, tempted by the premise of pies and pints, we decided to venture in. You enter through an old, damp, dark alleyway and choose one of a few rooms to sit in, which are equally dark and old-fashioned but full of character with a lovely atmosphere.

The menu is fairly limited but I still had trouble working out what I wanted to order. I had the steak pie and my other half had the chicken, gammon and leek - both were declared delicious. Portions are fairly small but the prices reflect this and as someone with a small appetite this suited me perfectly.

It would be nice to have a bigger selection of soft drinks for the non-pint drinkers, and the staff could be a little cheerier but I'd return in a heartbeat.

1  Thank DandelionMind

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Nice pub in the centre of town. However was charged £4.20 for a punt of real ale which I found bizarre!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The pie menu is fantastic. You get to choose from four different types of mash as well, a few choices of peas and a few choices of gravy which they call "liquor". The architecture is so cute, and the interior is old and rustic. Prices are so good, esp with the pie & pint offer on a Monday. The only imperfection was that I asked the waiter whether my lamb pie would be lamb mince or lamb chunks, and he answered "chunks", but it was mince. However it was so good that I didn't care and just ate it! Excellent beer choices as well. Om nom nom.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

After visiting today I feel I must write a review. My husband and I wandered down to the Quayside looking for somewhere we hadn't been before to for lunch. Outside the Red House it states Pies fresh from Northumberland butcher. So we decided to try this pie and ale house. On entering we were greeted by a pleasant lady and my husband pointed to a bottle of Ale. The lady replied we are selling them but they are past the use by date. They are fine I have drunk it. We declined the offer. I wondered over towards the toilets and pointed to my husband that table 5 seemed fine. I proceeded to visit the ladies. The toilets were disgusting. The smell of urine horrible. I decided to ask my husband would he mind leaving but was too late he had ordered our lunch. I told him I would have to move because the strong smell was certainly a put off. We moved and to be fair the meal wasn't bad. The pie very nice. That's the one plus point. If I was the butchers I would be looking for a different venue to serve what is a very nice pie.

1  Thank Enjoyed
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Went as a large party & pre ordered. The food was extremely good & at a very good price.
The service at bar was excellent.
The pre order was a little confusing as many pies flew out that weren't what we had ordered, was all a bit confusing & chaotic but soon got sorted once we got spreadsheet out!!!
Overall a decent pub for cheap grub!