“Should be better advertised”
Review of Lantern Cafe

Lantern Cafe
Ranked #862 of 1,386 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Deli, British, Healthy
Reviewed 26 January 2017

I had arranged to meet a friend here for lunch because it is midway between where we both work. I have lived in Newcastle my whole life but I have never heard of this café, and even when I got to the church I still couldn’t find the café within the building without asking for directions so I think it is safe to say it definitely needs to be better signposted. It is housed in an absolutely incredibly beautiful room in the church and the menu was really appealing, in particular the specialist hot chocolate (Ferrero Roche style!) and the sandwiches we had were really nice and reasonably priced, but it was lunchtime and there were only 3 other people in there, it should be packed out every day. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

If you have visited the St Nicholas Cathedral (or if not), the Lantern Café is a good place to come. There is a small supply of cakes on offer, and my cappuccino is large, hot and satisfying. The service is friendly too. But the main attraction of this café is the setting. The old hall is light and spacious, the furnishing is modern and attractive, and the ceiling is amazing: large painted panels with a so-called art-deco motif. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2015

I have eaten at the Lantern Café a few times now and I met my husband there for lunch on Tuesday. The ladies there are very friendly and the food is simply delicious. I love the homemade quiche with salad and roast potatoes, so tasty and filling and not very expensive at all. My husband had a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw - the potato was lovely and fresh (not burnt black like in some places!) and there was a good amount of filling, he loved it. We didn't stay for a scone this time but I've had one before and they're to die for. Most people don't know about this café as it's part of the Cathedral but it beats your average Costa-type places. Nip in for lunch next time you're in Newcastle, the food is great. The menu isn't massive but they offer sandwiches (hot or cold) alongside salads, jackets and hot meals plus sweet bites. A nice peaceful café in the middle of town.

1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 1 November 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, far too tucked away as we had a lovely time. Most of the staff were really nice and the place was clean. They coo'd over my baby (big grin) and couldn't help us enough!

3  Thank Rachael C