“Quiz night”

Ranked #244 of 1,287 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Description: The best modern Beer & Cider from cask, Keg & Bottle. CAMRA Tyneside Pub of the Year 2013 CAMRA Tyneside Cider Pub of the Year 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 CAMRA Regional Cider Pub of the Year 2012, 2014 Newcastle/Gateshead Top 10 Pub. Regular beer festvalsi, meet the brewer/tap takeovers, food events & other events. Home of Crag David Pubcat & the best view in Newcastle.
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Went with some friends and the beer selection is great, many real ales from around the globe, although watch the prices as some can be a eye opener. We got invited to the free pub quiz and it ended a thoroughly good evening. The toilets were like something from schools in the 70's which is why I marked the score down as it won't be to everyone's taste, but they do have a beer garden which has views over the river.

There are newer reviews for The Free Trade Inn

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited the Ouseburn area with 5 friends who were visiting the area. After good experiences at the other watering holes we landed at The Free Trade. After recent beer experiences earlier in the year there, I wasn't optimistic but went with the flow. My previous experience involved complaining quietly & politely regarding a beer & made to feel embarrassed by a member of staff young enough to be my grandchild
We bought the Tyne Brewery Peleton Pale Ale, all 6 pints being warm and flat. We commented to staff who just looked at us and walked away. The taste proved to be soapy and I would class it as undrinkable. We put all full glasses back on the bar & left. Staff made no effort to rectify the situation.
This pub is past trying really; for some reason it thinks that it doesn't have to & folks will drink there for the view. I know a few who don't bother now & I won't be.

1  Thank wgr1125
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Unpararelled beer selection, keg, cask and bottled. Huge outdoor area with the best views of the Bridges in town. They've got a free jukebox, fun pub quiz, live music and other events. The friendliest and most knowledgeable staff you'll find in any bar. Serve quality local pies and snacks and have a cat called Craig David that freely roams about chilling out.

If you want to be a proper Geordie, don't go anywhere else besides the free trade. Even if you stop by for one.

3  Thank deansmith333
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Great pub, good atmos, beer was excellent, but don't go to the toilet they are the worst I have ever seen!!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I only ever enter this pub if it's too cold/windy to sit outside.
Yes it's got fantastic views over the Tyne and lovely beer gardens but it's such a dirty dingy place and never my first choice when drinking round Ouseburn.
Soft drinks are warm off a shelf and served with no ice.....lovely, NOT! Pubs with no ice are a major puzzler to me!!??
I assume they must serve a cracking pint because my other half loves the place and I cannot understand the pull.