“The best cocktails I've ever had!”
Review of Jalou Newcastle

Jalou Newcastle
Ranked #397 of 1,266 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Jalou is the venue for those who really know their drinks and for those that want to. Located next to Newcastle Central Station, this late night bar offers the perfect mix of essential nightlife ingredients: chic and understated decor, low level lighting, talented baristas and a well studied cocktail menu.Staff and management are dedicated to the art of quality drink making with a knowledge and service to match. During weekends infamous DJ’s liven things up whilst on week nights eclectic playlists gently sooth the after work crowds.The venues elegant Victorian facade and stunning purpose built terrace provides a perfect city centre haven for lounging and grazing from the informal food menu during the daytimes and early evenings.
Derry, United Kingdom
“The best cocktails I've ever had!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place is amazing. The staff clearly know their stuff when it comes to making cocktails, I genuinely don't think I've ever tasted better! I went on a Thursday night when the cocktails are 2 for 1, but even on a regular night I wouldn't mind paying £6.95 for a really well-made drink. Myself and the group I was with tried loads of different cocktails, my favourites were the bubblegum daiquiri and the cookie monster. I don't normally like creamy alcoholic drinks but this one is a must-try, as is the bueno surprise! I'd definitely go here again and I'd highly recommend it to anyone on a quick weekend away to Newcastle.

The music was a mixture of 90's/00's RnB, kind of cheesy but really fun, but the DJ was absolutely terrible at mixing tracks, sack him and it's the perfect night out!

• Visited July 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Cocktails”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Brilliant venue, excellent staff and fabulous cocktails.This place is well worth a visit especially on a Thursday when cocktails are half price

• Visited July 2014
“Excellent”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I go to Jalou every week with friends before we go to work at a nightclub and love the menu along with the service! The 2-4-1 offer on a Thursday is brilliant and the possibility of half price cocktails on other days for being a regular is another boost to get down! If you head down, get a godfather - best drink I've ever had!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“What an absolute joke!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Visited Jalou on a Saturday night for cocktails, it was our first time there but after hearing how 'great' the cocktails are from a few friends, we thought we should give it a shot.
The place was packed which meant we had to use the 'vip' bar in order to get cocktails. The 'mixologists' behind the bar seemed to be overwhelmed with the amount of orders they were receiving, taking multiple orders at a time to get through them all. The result of this being poorly made novelty cocktails filled to the brim with sugar and a dash of alcohol. I also tried one of the more traditional cocktails, which was a piña colada, but with a salted caramel twist. However, what i got was actually a regular piña colada, with no distinct taste of caramel whatsoever. Either the barman forgot what my actual order was ( still taking multiple orders at a time ) or the extreme volume of pineapple juice drowned out any other flavours.
During our long wait to ordering the cocktails, it was clear that the service from the barmen was just not up to the standards you expect from 'premier' bars. One of the barmen managed to spill a cocktail all over the bar, nearly over my friend to. The spillage remained on the floor and the bar for our duration there, the barman even had the cheek to hand my friend a towel to put on the floor in order to soak up the mess he had made. People come to relax, not to provide maid service for the bar staff. It was no surprise that this remained uncleaned as the bar was covered in black ink, probably from one of their cocktails which used squid ink, not great for the ladies and gents who don't want to come out of Jalou with black stains all over their clothes.
We stayed for about 20 minutes and were happy to get out. If you want proper service head to MSA or Tokyo ( both within walking distance from Jalou) where they know how its properly done.
Jalou should really stick to what it can do with the volume it is receiving, as a bar it's fine but trying to provide more services in order to appear 'premium' just isn't working. Despite this, i'm sure Jalou will continue to provide cocktail service, hopefully it can improve significantly if it wants to be taken seriously. In the mean time we will wait and see, but i certainly won't be returning any time soon.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank pj121
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
“Fantastic cocktail menu!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Visited on a Saturday evening, place was just starting to fill up but not too packed as it was still early. Music and atmosphere were great, bar service was very quick and staff are really friendly, happily taking pictures for people. We ordered two Cookie Monster cocktails, the first time we've had them after seeing them online. They were delicious! Not a 'serious' cocktail as such but loads of fun, almost like a dessert in a glass, perfect after the meal we'd had at a nearby restaurant. Our second drinks were Smoked Gingerbread Manhattan's, drink served in cute little bottles to be poured over ice with a smokey finish. I love anything gingerbread but I'm not a bourbon/whiskey fan and this was a bit too much for me. But the barman kindly topped it up with lemonade for me which made it more drinkable. We would have loved to sample all the drinks from the menu but we had other bars to visit. We will definitely return to sample more of the funky drinks on offer. Loads of fun, great venue.

• Visited June 2014