“My favourite bar in Newcastle but :(”
Review of Bar Loco Newcastle

Bar Loco Newcastle
Ranked #227 of 1,308 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish, British
Description: Bar Loco is an International, musical-cultural shelter, situated within the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne. We provide our audience with fantastic food, adventurous drinks and a welcoming atmosphere. Our itinerary packed with eclectic events & amazing people which combine to create a relaxed & unique experience for all citizens of this global village!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My favourite bar in Newcastle and meeting place for all pre and post Newcastle united home game pints.. until this one day where while having a quiet pint at about 11 pm with my mates I sufferred my first ever (thankfully) racial abuse. It last a good 15 minutes of free unprovoked verbal abuse of the nastiest kind from 3 punters who for some reason assumed and firmly believed I hated british soldiers - the main culprit claiming to have served 7 yrs in the british army. Ofcourse not blaming Bar loco for that but at the same time, not even one member of staff intervened or did anything about it. Eventually me and my 5 mates (all caucasian british except me) decided to leave whilst they went on enjoying their drinks.. left a very bad taste.. I would hate never to go back because of some losers but just felt the bar had some duty of care to make sure customers are not abused..

16  Thank Khev7
Thanos G, Supervisor at Bar Loco Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Dear Khev,
Although it's been years from the day you've left this review, and the management has changed since, and tripAdvisor was never really a thing for Bar Loco, I still felt the need to reply to it, as I've read it several times now.

First and foremost I want you to know that I am very sorry for the bad experience you had in Bar Loco in the past, and I hope you have left it behind you. The thing is that although I was spending lots of time here as a regular, I wasn't in the team back then, and the current members of staff that were, can't really recall the incident. Without me - god forbid wanting to detract from the seriousness of that situation, it's hard for me as it is inappropriate to make any assumptions on what happened. I just imagine that these particular people would intervene if something like that would happen on their shift, as we know each other very well on a personal level, since we are not operating like big corporations do and are first friends. But you already know that, claiming that Bar Loco is/was your favourite place in Newcastle which can only honour us.

What I can do, is assure you that nothing similar has happened before or since, and Bar Loco is the place we all know, safe from discrimination of any sorts. I hope you've already been back and enjoyed the vibe and the food Bar Loco is known for. And if not, you are very welcome to do so.
Regards

Reviewed 1 May 2014

In addition to everything the others say about the bar and atmosphere, I've been for lunch a few times and enjoyed the food.

2  Thank Lauraloo1978
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful place to be relaxed, in well travelled, metropolitan, cultured company. Turkish/ Kurdish/ Iranian sounds, on a Brill belly dancing night - last Friday of every month. Staff brilliant. Service excellent. And loads of choice for seats and rooms.

2  Thank Divya144
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Bars don't come better than this place. With its helpful, friendly staff, quirky but unpretentious surroundings and amazing clientèle, it has it all. A good selection of local ales, guest beers and quality cocktails, it's a great place to meet up with friends and even better to meet new ones.

There is always something happening, whether it's free gigs upstairs or exhibitions in the gallery, it certainly is never dull. The food is great to, the super chips definitely live up to their name.

2  Thank Melchet Z
Reviewed 13 October 2013

For a while I hadn't been in a place with nice vibe, nice music, nice drinks and cool surroundings. Bar Loco is a marvellous place to relax and enjoy a drink with friends. My friends ate and enjoy the food. The little gallery at the top of the building was a hidden little gem and we had a great night out all and all. Great place, friendly service and zero roudyness...all in good spirit. We will be going back.

2  Thank adriadri_10