“Excellent coffee!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am one if the fussiest coffee drinkers around... And I loved the two cups of "Americano" with cold milk served at Quilliams this morning. My first visit but the cafe came with high recommendations from my friends. Service was speedy and exceptionally friendly. I'd have loved to have tried breakfast or a pastry and I'll definitely be visiting on an empty stomach next time. Thank you!

1  Thank Bevcarriage

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I love tea, so seeing a tea menu S vast and diverse as Quilliam brothers was a treat. Many people had told me I should visit so as soon as I had an excuse I did.
I also had some food with my pot of nilgiri.
The service was fairly quick and polite enough for an unobtrusive afternoon. Obviously as a popular spot the upstairs area was full with quite a long wait but the downstairs is still quite pleasant.

Food cane quick and was really good for the price.

Will be back for a film night for sure.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

A great interesting tea menu mixing lots of interesting flavours, I opted for a nutty but nice one which was delicious, I also had a brownie which was devoured far too quickly! go visit its a must

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Heard amazing things about this place and every time my wife and I have passed with our son, it has been full and awkward to manoeuvre with the pram. It wasn't until we got our son to sleep that we were able to visit this amazing place, which is a lot bigger than the outside gives away with a large downstairs sitting area and also the ground level goes deeper than first anticipated.

I wanted to wait until our second visit before reviewing as the first visit was hit and miss service wise so I wanted to see if this is a consistent thing or just a one off, as some were brilliant and others not so much.

So I will base my review on my second visit (11/07/2014) and on arrival we were warmly greeted by a young gentleman coming up the stairs, I asked if we could sit downstairs as its easier for us when our son wakes up so he doesn't bother anyone in his area! He was more than happy with this and even offered to help with the pram, which was very helpful of him.

He brought the menus to us and mentioned we have a choice of cakes upstairs also. We received table service on our first visit by two different girls who were very friendly and smartly yet casually dressed. Yet on this occasion nobody came to see us so I went upstairs to place my order. It took a LONG time before anyone even acknowledged that I was there, several people walking past me doing other jobs and I could have been invisible for all they knew. Finally, a very polite and friendly girl took my order and I mentioned that I forgot what my wife wanted, to which she said she always forgets as there are so many to choose from. She was very warm and helpful when I mentioned I had had Caramel Cup on my first visit and asked what she would recommend that was similar to this as I thoroughly enjoyed it. She was confident and concise in her choices and she pointed out the one that I had my eye on which was the hazelnut brittle, I asked again about what brownies they did and her knowledge was excellent, which is ideal in a place such as this where not everyone is an expert on tea or gourmet cakes/brownies that they cater for.

She told us that they would bring the drinks down and she left a very good impression on us throughout the visit, always being around to help out to anyone who needed it. The young Irish gentleman that brought our drinks was fantastic, his explanations of the drinks and what the honey and milk were for was spectacular. Mentioning that the honey brings out the flavour of the hazelnut brittle and the milk is there to add depending on taste, but warned not to add the milk to the cinnamon fruit otherwise it would curdle, very basic information for us but the kind you need and just great customer service.

The drinks were delicious and refreshing, the kind of menu that I read and think "what do I want to try next time?!", this excitement has clearly spread through Newcastle as it is always busy which is an amazing sign. The Tuscan Orange Cake was light and well flavoured with a hint of almond in there that didn't overpower the orange. My peanut butter brownie had a delicious bitter flavour from the chocolate and that beautiful salty peanut butter complimented it so well.

I took my son up to pay as he wouldn't shut up and again the petite girl was very smiley and laughed at my son struggling up the stairs. Unfortunately the inconsistent service from the first visit was about to appear again as one of the male staff that wasn't the other two mentioned (bearded, didn't leave the bar area throughout his shift) barely cared that I was there. I told him my table number and he went to process the payment on the tablet that they use, didn't even make eye contact, instead he had a conversation/rant at his female colleague about leaving her bag downstairs, all this time he had this conversation, he stood with my change in his hand and carried on this ridiculous debate, until he just put the money in my hand and said "1.20" nothing else, no thank you, no asking how everything was, just very disappointing after the high standards set by the other 3 staff we encountered throughout our visit.

Even on leaving, another girl thanked my wife and asked how everything was, more brilliant service which needs to be maintained throughout the team. The 3 of us were thanked (again) by the first girl mentioned and our impression of her was great at the beginning and even better at the end.

This would have easily been 5 star, the only let down was one member of staff who spoilt the whole experience for us, which is a massive shame. That being said, we cant wait for our next visit and maybe even sample lunch at some point, keep up the good work guys, Newcastle needs more places like this!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Newcastle has been long overdue a cool place to hang out during the day (and in the evening, if we're excluding bars) so when I saw this place was opening last year I was pretty pleased as I love nothing more than to catch up with friends in quaint little cafe's!

A year on and my friends and I visit Quilliam Bros. on a weekly basis. Fantastic selection of teas (I try a new flavour each week!) coffees, creamy hot chocolates and soft drinks. The cakes here are to die for with plenty of choice for vegan and gluten-free eaters; the Banana Chocolate cakes and ginger beer scones are not ones to be missed. On top of that, the venue is lovely, quirky and cosy. It's bright and spacious during the day with plenty of local art, photos and posters and well-lit at night for a authentic snuggly 'tea-room' feel. Staff are always super friendly and knowledgeable and although I've only tried the food once or twice, the roast beef sandwiches here are AMAZING.

My only gripe is that this place fills up fast and if you're in a big party (or occasionally a small one) you might have to wait a little while to be seated. They could also do with a cooler to put their soft drinks in as well as a few larger tables downstairs. I certainly also wouldn't complain if they served their hot food a little later as I don't always get the opportunity for lunch here!

Otherwise this place is wonderful if you just want a chilled out night with friends in somewhere other than a pub as its open until 1am Monday to Saturday. I just wish it had been here whilst I was at University :)