“Pre-theatre dinner”

Cafe Rouge - Newcastle
Ranked #230 of 1,314 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Café Rouge Newcastle is a French restaurant serving a delicious all-day menu of classic French dishes with a contemporary twist, from steak frites and boeuf bourguignon to a selection of croques and baguettes ideal for a quick meal. Whatever the time of day - breakfast, lunch, dinner or anytime in between - we have a dish to suit your mood. We also host a live music night every Thursday evening from 6pm.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was the first time we had been to Cafe Rouge and only went there because my son had bought me a gift card for my birthday,you have to pre-book which is very advisable.
On arrival we were shown to our table by a very friendly waitress who gave us a table towards the back away from the bar area,we were given a menu and were given plenty of time to choose.we chose the 3 course option which was £15 a person and we were not disappointed with the portion size,there was soup,salmon or chicken salad for starters,fish cakes,chicken for mains and apricot cake or ice cream for dessert.
Through out the waitress was very helpful and made sure we had everything and didn't push us to have more drinks.when we paid the bill we got a voucher for a breakfast which was buy one get one free.

1  Thank Susan J

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Small group went for a quick tea - fairly easy to order, food was good, table nice etc etc but nothing special.

Few odd points; warm summers night outside but they dimmed the lights, if the plan was to make it romantic it didn't work as just made it dark, waiter didn't seem to know his wines, the noise in the place is really loud. Almost shouting level.

I'd go back, for the price it's good value but nothing special considering other places on Dean St.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went here for a quick dinner with a friend on a Monday night. The place was pretty deserted, but the staff were very friendly. They did a very reasonably priced "prix fixe" menu (£12 for 2 courses) and the food was fine, although nothing special, and the portion sizes were a little on the small side.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I visited twice this week - both experiences poor with indifferent customer service and food. Today we went for breakfast - waited 15 minutes, then had to ask for menus though it was quiet and my porridge was a congealed lump when it arrived!!! I have seen a deterioration in both quality and customer service recently. Used to be a regular visitor but I won't be back. They need to up their game, as there is so much choice in this city!!!

2  Thank MaggieG148
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We went for a meal after the theatre on a Saturday afternoon . Newcastle was very busy but we walked in with no reservation and were seated straight away .
Our young waitress was very pleasant and helpful although a little quietly spoken for me so I had to ask for repeats of things she said .
We had a good meal , a bottle of house white wine and there were no complaints at all .
Food was well cooked and presented and portion size quite reasonable .
We would go again